Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rob Couhig message to supporters

12357

Comments

  • I do think putting Pete Couhig on commentary is an effort to tone down his shouting from the stands.

  • I'd prefer to have an owner who is clearly passionate about the club than one who displays no emotion whatsoever because if they're not passionate about the club then what are they doing here?

    Think it's great that Pete is a vocal supporter of the team at matches.

    Just a shame there aren't several thousand doing the same.

  • @NiceCarrots said:
    I'd prefer to have an owner who is clearly passionate about the club than one who displays no emotion whatsoever because if they're not passionate about the club then what are they doing here?

    I remember when Delia let her β€œpassion” overflow a bit.

    I certainly agree there’s nothing wrong with owners showing passion - but if they are leading the β€œrefs are all against us” it can lead to the rest of that squad looking for excuses too.

  • When the immediate euphoria of the amazing July evening eventually began to die down, the scale of the challenge facing the club always seemed daunting. The step up to the Championship always felt huge and relegation and a tilt at Rotherham's record highly likely. The big challenge was always going to be the following season back in Lg1 trying to stabilise the adverse momentum from 20/21 with a fair few of the ageing spine of the team moving on. The idea of challenging to bounce back always felt outrageously optimistic, I would take 14th in Lg1 in 21/22 in a heartbeat.

    Couhig's statement has made a very challenging situation infinitely worse. A private conversation would be bad enough but everyone knows that Ainsworth's success is based on team spirit and to public question Ainsworth and his team's integrity is downright crass. It is now hard to imagine Ainsworth still being in the manager's chair at Christmas and there is now a distinct "fin de siecle" feel. I fear the next era in the club's fortunes may not be anywhere near as fun as the current one.

    It's easy to come in and be popular when the club is performing well. The test of Couhig was always going to be when the going got harder. He has singularly flunked that test for me.

    πŸ‘ πŸ‘Ž ( -10 )
  • I suppose we are all reading between the lines (or trying to) I was behind the team in this historic season of firsts before and still am...so let's put it all behind us and go again!

  • Classic work from Dev there. Always has to take the opposite view, or try and stretch a view to the maximum.

    Happy with finishing 14th in a lower division before we've even got to mid Feb in this season?
    Thank goodness you're not in the management!

  • I'm so interested to see today's team selection and formation etc. Maybe it will indicate if the management have taken any notice of robs words?

  • @drcongo said:
    That reads to me very much like the dreaded public vote of confidence that usually signifies a manager will be sacked within the fortnight.

    I sincerely hope it isn’t.

    Totally agree with the above. That's how I read it.
    GA on borrowed time, unless results dramatically improve.

  • @Alexo said:
    I'm so interested to see today's team selection and formation etc. Maybe it will indicate if the management have taken any notice of robs words?

    How would you know the difference?
    We've often put out what looks like an attacking lineup, often with quality ball players too. But the performance hasn't panned out like you'd hope.

  • @Malone said:
    Classic work from Dev there. Always has to take the opposite view, or try and stretch a view to the maximum.

    Happy with finishing 14th in a lower division before we've even got to mid Feb in this season?
    Thank goodness you're not in the management!

    @DevC has an amazing arrogance to portray his view on this as the fact. I didn't read anything like that in the email but if you can twist it to fit your endless Ainsworth leaving narrative.

    Or did Dev get a different email to the one I got? The one entitled 'message to distant non season ticket holders who are desperate to mention Ainsworth leaving at every point'

    Personally I'd put a fair amount of my season ticket refund on Couhig and Ainsworth being a good terms and understanding the need to not give up on the season as the next few weeks dictate next season what ever happens results wise.

  • @Malone said:

    @Alexo said:
    I'm so interested to see today's team selection and formation etc. Maybe it will indicate if the management have taken any notice of robs words?

    How would you know the difference?
    We've often put out what looks like an attacking lineup, often with quality ball players too. But the performance hasn't panned out like you'd hope.

    I get what you mean, and you are probably right. I just think sometimes he has played his favourites and ones he has loyalty towards over who is the better player. All my opinion thorough of course. I'm no football manager and I don't get to see who is excelling in training, or who is carrying a slight knock etc....

  • In my English class at school we all had to write a poem (about something bland like nature or dawn breaking or something; I forget) and then have the rest of the class analyse it. People found themes and subtle meaning in mine that I definitely hadn't ever intended. I wonder if a few people here were in my old English class?

  • Would be interested to know what, if anything GA knew about the statement in advance.

    It’s possible to imagine it as a rallying call, which was partly discussed with the management team in advance but then lost a bit in translation, in which case it’s nothing really to worry about.

    Equally it’s possible to see it as a threat to everyone involved with the club to get their act together, or else. If the latter I agree with several people on here that we are entering very choppy waters and it is difficult to see the good ship WWFC coming out of it in good shape.

    To be honest, whilst I don’t necessarily see this as a failed test on RC’s part, I am nervous. And I agree with @DevC, if it does go with GA parting company sooner rather than later I would be happy with us sitting mid-table in May 2022

  • Clearly there are different interpretations of Rob's email, hence the various takes posted. Only the key stakeholders know what was said , how it was said and how it was left. Slightly surprised we haven't yet heard from @glasshalffull , who is close to the club , on his views on this challenging moment for our club. He is normally very quick to post.

  • I was the hallucination hoovering over you like the book thief and I thought you displayed remarkable imagination and very subtly expressed imagery lending itself to myriad interpretations.

  • *hovering. I don’t do hoovering.

  • Better log on to iFollow. @Malone’s advice about setting it up early to avoid buffering may well work but, like him, I’ve no idea why it does (unless it’s penance for not having been a target for advertisers).

  • No Blooms or Bayo on the bench today

  • @Alexo said:

    @Malone said:

    @Alexo said:
    I'm so interested to see today's team selection and formation etc. Maybe it will indicate if the management have taken any notice of robs words?

    How would you know the difference?
    We've often put out what looks like an attacking lineup, often with quality ball players too. But the performance hasn't panned out like you'd hope.

    I get what you mean, and you are probably right. I just think sometimes he has played his favourites and ones he has loyalty towards over who is the better player. All my opinion thorough of course. I'm no football manager and I don't get to see who is excelling in training, or who is carrying a slight knock etc....

    Well, to me that looks like a team selection made with robs words ringing in his ears....

  • So if we win today it will be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation...if we lose will it be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation?

  • edited February 13

    @micra said:
    Better log on to iFollow. @Malone’s advice about setting it up early to avoid buffering may well work but, like him, I’ve no idea why it does (unless it’s penance for not having been a target for advertisers).

    Logged in at 2.30 today. Seems to be a really strong clear, perfectly moving picture of the warm up.

    And a strange bit of raving crew music.

    Hopefully stays this way for the actual game (bar the music)> @Wendoverman said:

    So if we win today it will be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation...if we lose will it be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation?

    Yep. Those geniuses who genuinely think we won 2 games when Gareth was off because Dobbo did things his own way, will put any win today down to the email!

  • @Wendoverman said:
    So if we win today it will be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation...if we lose will it be because of Rob C influencing team selection and formation?

    If we win we won't care. If we lose we move on.

    If we lost again with nothing being said or conceivably done we would probably be a lot more annoyed.

  • @HolmerBlue said:
    If he sacks Gareth this season he has absolutely no idea about our club, culture or English football

    That sentence doesn't need the first six words.

  • Pretty well covered by Matt and Pete, in short - Nobody has given up, Ainsworth, Owners, Staff, Players agree, on same page.

  • Indeed Elephant in room not avoided. Thanks Matt and Pete.

  • Did anyone really believe Gareth Ainsworth, his staff and players had given up? Anyone who did can't know them at all.

  • Proof that a public bollocking does not turn a side into Brazil?

  • @davecz

    @davecz said:
    Clearly there are different interpretations of Rob's email, hence the various takes posted. Only the key stakeholders know what was said , how it was said and how it was left. Slightly surprised we haven't yet heard from @glasshalffull , who is close to the club , on his views on this challenging moment for our club. He is normally very quick to post.

    There is enough speculation on here without me adding to it, and if I was privy to inside knowledge that privilege wouldn’t last for long if I was to reveal things on here.

  • @Shev said:
    Proof that a public bollocking does not turn a side into Brazil?

    But it does get us three points!

Sign In or Register to comment.