Skip to content

Match day thread: Huddersfield

Comments

• edited February 2021

For those claiming they are ‘not consumed by the status or history of other clubs’ a bit of background perspective. The three stars over the Terriers (their nickname) badge represent their status as three times champions of English league football (that’s more than Spurs fyi).
    Only a few years back I witnessed Huddersfield putting six past us - twice. Yet we bounced back.
    I for one am delighted that my team, from a small town in the Chiltern hills, is standing toe to toe with Huddersfield today. And will continue to support the Chairboys, no matter how the team performs, long after they (and by implication we) have been accused of ‘sightseeing’ by parvenu arrivistes.
    COYB’s.

• Too early for a POTD?

• Post of the year.

• I give that badge 8/10. Instantly recognisable but let down by some faux 3D shine job in MS Paint.

• I like the terrier but it’s all a bit busy for me.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    For those claiming they are ‘not consumed by the status or history of other clubs’ a bit of background perspective. The three stars over the Terriers (their nickname) badge represent their status as three times champions of English league football (that’s more than Spurs fyi).
    Only a few years back I witnessed Huddersfield putting six past us - twice. Yet we bounced back.
    I for one am delighted that my team, from a small town in the Chiltern hills, is standing toe to toe with Huddersfield today. And will continue to support the Chairboys, no matter how the team performs, long after they (and by implication we) have been accused of ‘sightseeing’ by parvenu arrivistes.
    COYB’s.

Mentioning our opponents' history?

Off to the Gulags with you

• We belong in Huddersfield.

• Liking the line up today. Looks like 451 with Knight, Mehmeti and Wheeler in central midfield?

• Very interesting team selection. No Bayo or Bloomfield in the squad( injured or as a result of Rob C 's email ? )

• Really like the look of our team. Assume we will see Knight in midfield. 2 good wingers and Uche up top and good to see Mehmeti in the side. Excited!

• Best looking line up weve possibly had all season so far

• Looks like 433 to me.

• McCleary and Horgan either side of Uche

Hallelujah!

• Like the line up...possibly the best 11 players available...put them all on and see what they can do. Quality of players trumps any formation

• @perfidious_albion said:
    COYB’s.

Not just POTD, that should be the pre-match team talk.

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Like the line up...possibly the best 11 players available...put them all on and see what they can do. Quality of players trumps any formation

I don't think anyone could argue that Mehmeti is better than Thompson, surely?

• Intrigued to see how that midfield is going to work. Hopefully it proves effective but I fear if they can’t get control of the game then we’ll struggle to get Horgan and McCleary in the game. I suppose we may bypass the midfield and just have the attackers play off Ikpeazu. But then why not have more ball winners in the midfield 3 in that case.

• @aloysius said:

I don't think anyone could argue that Mehmeti is better than Thompson, surely?

There should be an emoji for irony (maybe there is?).
    If your game is soft ‘tippy tap’ soccer then Mehemeti, perhaps.
    If your game is English football then Thompson is your first name on a team sheet, definitely.

• Interesting line up. Could go well, also could go very, vey badly! I guess it's worth trying something different, let's hope it works out well.

• Is it weird that after I read the stirring post from @perfidious_albion I shouted "huzzah!" and charged at a castle in full armour, waving a sword?

• @Glenactico I'm with you. I would have been tempted to make a more robust selection, with the focus on stopping Huddersfield playing and then trying to nick a goal. Hope I'm made to look a complete mug.

• I do like the line-up though...isn't horgan the only one of the front six not to have scored? (Or did I only dream a knight goal?)

• Wouldn’t think you needed full armour @Shev. Don’t you only have plastic castles over there?

• Was chairboys live not on today?

• Dreaded wheel of death for me, anyone else?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Dreaded wheel of death for me, anyone else?

What time did you sign in? Just recently? Seems to be more of a risk than if you sign in 30mins early for some reason!

• Intrigued to see how the long suggested Knight in midfield lineup works out.

Hopefully this could be one of those moments we almost stumble across a lineup that brings great fruit.

• @micra, picture is brilliant today. There's definitely something that messes with it signing in late. Increased traffic across their network or something?

• I'm not sure what point @perfidious_albion is trying to make. It's not the first time we've been in the same division as a 'fallen giant' (and we did actually do the double over Huddersfield during one of them). And next season we'll likely be playing Sunderland (again) and they've won the top division SIX times.

• @Doob said:
    I'm not sure what point @perfidious_albion is trying to make. It's not the first time we've been in the same division as a 'fallen giant' (and we did actually do the double over Huddersfield during one of them). And next season we'll likely be playing Sunderland (again) and they've won the top division SIX times.

Justifiable Pride I'd imagine. Not much else.