Skip to content

To stay up...

edited February 2021 in Football

50 points, that's 34 more points in 19 games, that's 1.78 points per game, that's better than Watford and Reading have done so far this season.

Hadn't really dawned on me that it is really all over until I worked that out. We'd need to be playing Premier League quality football for the rest of the season.

Fantastic, superb effort from GA and the squad. With some different refereeing decisions we might still be in touch now and that is incredible given our budget. The Watford game really stands out, we outplayed what is essentially a Premiership team.

Can't wait for next season, hopefully with the same squad and management and hopefully back at AP in person.

Comments

• Three more points to avoid being the worst ever championship team, vital we achieve that.

• Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose.

• edited February 2021

One thing that's gone against us, is that in the main, the clubs who along with us had poor starts to the season have subsequently had enough good results to give themselves a great chance to survive - Derby, Forest, Wednesday to an extent. Not as many teams are having awful runs and dropping into trouble, with the exception of Birmingham. Therefore the number of points needed for safety will be high, most probably around 50 as has been stated above.

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    Three more points to avoid being the worst ever championship team, vital we achieve that.

An oft reported misconception. Rochdale achieved 23 points worst ever, not 18 as sometimes stated.

• edited February 2021

@Shev said:
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose.

My analysis was better than yours

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Cambridge_Blue said:
    Three more points to avoid being the worst ever championship team, vital we achieve that.

An oft reported misconception. Rochdale achieved 23 points worst ever, not 18 as sometimes stated.

Rotherham? How strange that the 18 total is so often quoted. More of a challenge, I really don't want us to take that record.

• @Cambridge_Blue said:

Rotherham? How strange that the 18 total is so often quoted. More of a challenge, I really don't want us to take that record.

Yep sorry Rotherham!! The odds from the bookies that we WON’T beat their total isn’t v generous either!

• @Cambridge_Blue said:

@Shev said:
    Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I suppose.

My analysis was better than yours

A cover version better than the original. It happens!

• @Cambridge_Blue said:
    50 points, that's 34 more points in 19 games, that's 1.78 points per game, that's better than Watford and Reading have done so far this season.

Hadn't really dawned on me that it is really all over until I worked that out. We'd need to be playing Premier League quality football for the rest of the season.

Fantastic, superb effort from GA and the squad. With some different refereeing decisions we might still be in touch now and that is incredible given our budget. The Watford game really stands out, we outplayed what is essentially a Premiership team.

Can't wait for next season, hopefully with the same squad and management and hopefully back at AP in person.

Your figure is incorrect. In the last three seasons the number of points needed to stay up has been 49, 44 and 43. Not sure what you mean about ‘Premier League quality football.’ Top end Championship form, perhaps?

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    One thing that's gone against us, is that in the main, the clubs who along with us had poor starts to the season have subsequently had enough good results to give themselves a great chance to survive - Derby, Forest, Wednesday to an extent. Not as many teams are having awful runs and dropping into trouble, with the exception of Birmingham. Therefore the number of points needed for safety will be high, most probably around 50 as has been stated above.

The issue was when we lost track of the Rotherham's, Luton's and Coventry's, Sure Forest, Shed Wed, Brum etc had bad starts but you always suspected they'd pick up again either just by sorting themselves or by replacing managers and players.

• Agree @StrongestTeam never thought Birmingham, Forest and Derby (though I hoped) could not or would not pull themselves out of trouble. It was important to stay in touch, but the job is certainly harder now. Still clinging on to the wreckage hoping for rescue though!

• There was quite a long spell where we stayed 3-4 points from safety. Was never going to last unfortunately.

Still, fresh start today.