Skip to content

A Dream

I have a dream that one day Wanderers will play the ball on the ground and be a delight to watch even if they lose.The days of bypassing the midfield and hoofing it in the air to the forwards will be a thing of the past ,but sadly not under this manager.Thank heavens the fans have not had to endure the fare served up this season.We have the players-why not use them effectively

Comments

• Having a bad day? I dreamt that one day we would play in the Championship. Pretty happy with the way that dream turned out regardless of the style of football. Even with our lowly results we are financially secure and will be for a little while to come. Lot of clubs in the pyramid would be very pleased to be in our position even 'under this manager'.

• edited February 2021

...even if they lose? I had to smile at that. I would love to see how long that manager would last. :smile: I've had to endure it...sometimes even paying a tenner...haven't you been watching @Hughie ?

• @Hughie said:

I have a dream that one day Wanderers will play the ball on the ground and be a delight to watch even if they lose.The days of bypassing the midfield and hoofing it in the air to the forwards will be a thing of the past ,but sadly not under this manager.Thank heavens the fans have not had to endure the fare served up this season.We have the players-why not use them effectively

I have a dream that one day those who moan about out style of play will realise how lucky they are to have a club of our size playing in one of the best leagues in Europe. A club that has a fraction of the history and financial clout of the teams they are facing every week. A club that has a manager who steered them from the brink of relegation to non-league and financial meltdown to two playoff finals and two promotions. One day you might realise just how lucky we are.

• Hear hear @glasshalffull! Although lacking their normal spark recently, I'm sure the team will regain it's never say die approach when we have JJ, Gape and Adeniran back in the fold. I don't know why I believe that, it's just a feeling.

We are indeed very lucky to have our entire WWFC playing, management, backroom and support staff playing in the Championship and financially secure. I feel lucky to have had my Covid jab yesterday!

• I have a dream that we achieve the highest number of completed passes in the league, even if they are in our own half and we get beaten 5-0 every week.

• We have had some of the most dramatic, thrilling and unpredictable games over the past few seasons. This year has been different and difficult owing to the huge financial disadvantage, bad injury luck and atrocious refereeing, but I can't see how anyone could complain over a lack of entertainment value in the grand scheme of things!

• @glasshalffull said:
    A club that has a fraction of the history and financial clout of the teams they are facing every week.

A fraction of the history? I'm sure I must be misunderstanding as that seems out of character for you, but I'd take Wycombe's history over that of any other club in the division.

• Clumsy use of words, written in haste. However, I was referring to history as Football League clubs who have won the game’s major honours. All our opponents dwarf our achievements in those respects.

• It’s at times like these that I like to remember Charlton fans virtually queuing up to call 606 to demand the head of Alan Curbishley, as another push for a UEFA cup berth fizzled out.

‘The trouble with Curbs is he ain’t got a plan B. An that’s why we’ll never qualify for Europe unless we GET HIM OUT’!

Worked out well, didn’t it?

• A simple question for everyone.

Is the ludicrous, unbelievable high of that night at Wembley worth the current lows we are experiencing?

If your answer is no you are a very strange individual - or @trevor - no offence.

(I know that we could have hoped for more but in reality the former was always likely to lead to the latter)

• @arnos_grove Indeed. I used to have the same feeling about Arsenal fans on 606 and Arsene Wenger. They've not gone down through the divisions, but they've certainly not been as successful.

Be careful what you wish for.

• In mid-July we dared to hope that crowds might return at some stage and that we would be able to savour the surreal excitement of a full or nearly full Adams Park for virtually every game, mostly against teams that, less than a year previously, we would not have dreamt of playing against twice in one season.

As hopes have faded in that respect, tiredness, atrocious luck with illness and injuries to key players (and some questionable refereeing decisions, to put it mildly) have led to an understandable loss of confidence on the pitch. We experienced a wave of modestly increased optimism a few weeks ago but the swift destruction of those hopes in the wake of the last four matches has inevitably led to a lowering of spirits both on and off the pitch.

Not least because of our two 6-0 defeats against them a few years ago, it’s not easy to be optimistic about our trip to Huddersfield at the weekend but we all know what a funny old game football is and you just never know. Let’s hope we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

COYB!!

• I think we can safely assume (thanks to some diligent research by LX1) that Hughie is a not a big fan of Gareth Ainsworth.

• I’ve never seen a season like this for decisions against us that were just plain wrong. Yes I know every supporter from every club will claim the refereeing of this and that game has been either incompetent or biased and I’ve always dismissed such blinkered nonsense out of hand but from this Championship season I could provide a showreel of refereeing horror like no other .
    Officials are human beings and can make mistakes It’s just a coincidence so many critical game changing mistakes have been made and have gone against us it’s certainly not collusion, no it can’t be.

• Bang on the money with those comments, Morrisltal.

• I’m a bit confused. [No change there then]
    Is there more than one MorrisItal ?

• I think some of those who object to the direct style of play should remember that the grass isn’t always greener. Watching a side knock it around on the floor can be dull as dishwater at times, particularly when possession is prioritised ahead of creating chances.

• Couldn’t agree more Glenactico. I’ve seen plenty of teams play half a dozen ‘pretty’ pass in their own half only to lose possession. Our style may be ‘ugly’ at times, but at least we lose possession in the opposition half.

• Can’t lose possession in midair unless a partridge pops out of a pear tree.
    Nurse says it’s bedtime.

• POTD @micra and it's only just past midnight!??

• @micra said:
    I’m a bit confused. [No change there then]
    Is there more than one MorrisItal ?

I think there’s about 35 still on the road.
    But to answer your question, no there is only one. My long absence was mainly due to a move and lack of computer savvy.

• @Glenactico said:
    I think some of those who object to the direct style of play should remember that the grass isn’t always greener. Watching a side knock it around on the floor can be dull as dishwater at times, particularly when possession is prioritised ahead of creating chances.

Yes - the perfect example of which was the play-off semi-finals. Pompey, and in particular Oxford, fans boasting of their wonderful, attractive passing style, played out two stultifyingly dull games, while awful, hoofball Wycombe cooked up two thrillers.

• With some of the comments he is getting, both from fans and RC, GA might want a new catchphrase: "Be Careful What You Achieve"...

• @Shev said:
    With some of the comments he is getting, both from fans and RC, GA might want a new catchphrase: "Be Careful What You Achieve"...

And one for our Great Leader across the sea - ‘be careful what you wish for’.
    If Gaz and Dobbo walked after (allegedly) being roasted, they would be snapped up by any one of a number of EFL clubs - and we would be deep in the mire.

• It is utterly incredible that just 214 days after that special day at Wembley there are Wycombe Wanderers supporters who want Gareth Ainsworth gone. As someone who can rightly claim to be our greatest ever manager, he deserves just a little gratitude.

That day was one of the greatest ever days supporting the Blues and I will forever be grateful.

• Thankfully @glasshalfempty they are mainly idiots and small in number. Every club has them - magnified by the ‘speak your brains’ opportunities that the internet brings (and which I am currently and hypocritically indulging in).

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    Hear hear @glasshalffull! Although lacking their normal spark recently, I'm sure the team will regain it's never say die approach when we have JJ, Gape and Adeniran back in the fold. I don't know why I believe that, it's just a feeling.

We are indeed very lucky to have our entire WWFC playing, management, backroom and support staff playing in the Championship and financially secure. I feel lucky to have had my Covid jab yesterday!

OK, only JJ so 1 out of 3 then! COYB!