Skip to content

Match day thread: Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Zero positives to take from the last four games.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Zero positives to take from the last four games.

Uche great goal against Brentford. I know. I know. I'm reaching...

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Zero positives to take from the last four games.

Hang around, Alan will be here soon

• Anyone else think that didn't go entirely to plan?

• The way we are playing now League 1 will be difficult.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    The way we are playing now League 1 will be difficult.

There's certainly no guarantee that we'll suddenly turn on good form next season

• Not having/playing three of your regular back four and having the fourth playing his first game in ages doesn't help.

Have a teams substitutions ever had so little impact and yet still not been worse than the players they replaced.

• Well be fine once we start playing the teams around us.

• The only plus point for me is (apart from Brentford), we are generally bringing teams down to our level.

• I'm waiting for someone to tell us that result changes nothing as we are still 12 points from safety...

• @Brownie said:
    I'm waiting for someone to tell us that result changes nothing as we are still 12 points from safety...

There's still hope that three separate teams get swift points deductions for cheeky financial shenanighans.

That might be out the window in a couple of weeks though, so we might need three teams to do Luton-esque dodginess and clock some 30pointers.

• Been a while since I've seen us so devoid of confidence, we really are struggling.

Just trying to detach myself from our recent performances, as bigger picture things look very positive for the club. These recent matches are grim viewing though!

• @Malone said:

@Brownie said:
    I'm waiting for someone to tell us that result changes nothing as we are still 12 points from safety...

There's still hope that three separate teams get swift points deductions for cheeky financial shenanighans.

That might be out the window in a couple of weeks though, so we might need three teams to do Luton-esque dodginess and clock some 30pointers.

Now this really would set tongues wagging in the Peterborough region

• We’re just not good enough, it’s like watching a boxer on the ropes being battered and willing the referee to stop the fight.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Anyone else think that didn't go entirely to plan?

But you said that is the plan, and wanting us playing any other way is asking for the manager to be sacked. You actually said that.

• @Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

There's certainly no guarantee that we'll suddenly turn on good form next season

I think we need to find a new way of playing. The lump it up to the big man ( whoever that is) just doesn’t cut it anymore.

• Had hoped the first half of the season was a learning curve prior to a battle for survival, but we seem more out of our depth than ever now.

• Well another ? watch. Can I just point out that Harris will suck a defender in almost to a standstill, pull the ball a yard wide and whip the ball in across the box. If he is playing on the opposite side of the pitch he will do the same but cut inside onto his right foot and shoot. It really isn't rocket science. Yet still we didn't grasp it and he had the main contribution in both goals.
    Oh, by the way,whilst it wasn't entirely his fault, can someone shove a grenade up Gavin Wards arse & send him into outer space.

• @Stewie63 said:

@Malone said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:

I think we need to find a new way of playing. The lump it up to the big man ( whoever that is) just doesn’t cut it anymore.

Not in this division no.
    But it probably will work in league 1.

Although we will have to amend it, as while Uche has strengths over Bayo, he can't do what Bayo does. No-one can.
    Or has done I should say. This post knee injury at this level Bayo hasn't been the same.

• That was depressing. Awful game, poor display by a team bereft of confidence and a typical Gavin Ward display of refereeing. I am the greatest optimist, but I have to admit that we need a miraculous upturn in form to dig ourselves out of this hole. The Championship is proving to be a step too far and it’s painful to see us going through this every week.

• Very sad indeed. I didn’t expect us to be winning every game but this is absolutely terrible. Hard to watch and even worst listening to that commentary.

Surely we must now start playing without the likes of Bayo and Bloomers. They have both been great servants but cannot be considered for next season.

• edited February 2021

Christ on a bike.

(At @glasshalffull’s post)

• @glasshalffull said:
    That was depressing. Awful game, poor display by a team bereft of confidence and a typical Gavin Ward display of refereeing. I am the greatest optimist, but I have to admit that we need a miraculous upturn in form to dig ourselves out of this hole. The Championship is proving to be a step too far and it’s painful to see us going through this every week.

Wow!
    Officially THE moment all hope was lost.

• We’re playing stuttering football, players aren’t able to anticipate each others movement and any amount of pressure when we have the ball leads to a punt upfield that gives away possession.

• edited February 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Surely we must now start playing without the likes of Bayo and Bloomers. They have both been great servants but cannot be considered for next season.

The worrying thing is it didn't improve when Bayo went off.

• @drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

But you said that is the plan, and wanting us playing any other way is asking for the manager to be sacked. You actually said that.

I think you are deliberately making up what I said. I could explain why but you’ll twist that.

Go back back to your horrible ‘will we ever score a goal’ games and do me a favour and ignore my posts. You offer nothing but abuse

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Very sad indeed. I didn’t expect us to be winning every game but this is absolutely terrible. Hard to watch and even worst listening to that commentary.

Could argue that we should phase down the loanees too, unless we think we can bring them back next season.
    Build a team, style and formation that can start next season well.

Although with 19 games to go, perhaps a little early for writing off anyone.

• @MorrisItal_ said:
    We’re playing stuttering football, players aren’t able to anticipate each others movement and any amount of pressure when we have the ball leads to a punt upfield that gives away possession.

There isn’t any movement to anticipate. Everyone knows whoever has the ball is just going to launch it into orbit so nobody bothers trying to move or create space. That’s why when we do hold it on those rare occasions, we still can’t do anything with it.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Been a while since I've seen us so devoid of confidence, we really are struggling.

Just trying to detach myself from our recent performances, as bigger picture things look very positive for the club. These recent matches are grim viewing though!

I agree with this. Confidence is a powerful ally but a horrible enemy. Hopefully it will come back soon.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@drcongo said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I think you are deliberately making up what I said. I could explain why but you’ll twist that.

Go back back to your horrible ‘will we ever score a goal’ games and do me a favour and ignore my posts. You offer nothing but abuse

Blimey. Thought you’d be over the moon after that performance.