Skip to content

Match day thread: Birmingham

Comments

• I think I’d rather watch us lose and have a go then that.

• Allsop by far man of the match. Awful game to watch. I’ll stick the telly on the ceiling next time to give my neck the full experience.

• With a much better defence tonight if we'd only played the way we did in the first 45 at brentford.

• Poor performance from team and Ainsworth. We need wins.

• I’m going to give Man of the Thread to @Wendoverman for this:

We needed some football. I would have gone for McLeary myself. Just changing the head we are aiming at might not be the answer.

Although @eric_plant ran him close with a couple of very amusing posts.

• Would never had believed that we had one more on the field than them. Can't remember if we put 2 passes together?

• At absolutely no point during that second half did we try to quicken up the pace. Did anyone actually want to win? Too afraid to lose tonight and as a result we've fallen even further behind as Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest both won away from home. Dreadful game. Not a good point.

• Quite angry about that. No effort to do anything other than lump it and hope for a mistake. A real head shaker - not a slight chance of staying up.

• I'm actually sat here quietly fuming about that

• edited February 2021

Filth. Unambitious, skilless filth. How do we hope to stay up if we propose to play like that?

• Scrappy game. Allsop - worldie - clear MOM. Got us the point.
    Not great up front today. Bayo looks like his time has come - even coming off the bench ??

• That was God awful game nobody had a second on the ball on either team doubt if anyone would have made difference if they would have come on One point is no good for us at this point

• I appreciate the need to keep things tight after Saturday, but goodness me, it never felt we gave it a go tonight.

Allsop obviously motm, but behind him only Uche, Taf and Obita looked anywhere near their best. Grimmer and Knight probably had their poorest games of the season, Thommo not far behind either.

• To have a bench that strong and not really use it is disappointing. Happy that "bang it somewhere near Bayo" is plan B rather than plan A but it's not going to keep us up.
    Congrats to Rocky though.

• Not certain how Fred starts above Horgan, McCleary or Kashket at the moment either.

• Sigh. Same story as a lot of this season.
    Start with one set of attackers, totally change them, and neither set really works.

Once more into the breach on Saturday we go then.

We are getting quite close to literal must win games I fear.

• Other than Rocky's superb saves that was pub level football from both sides. Did we complete more than 2 passes in a row at any point all game? Awful. Nnamdi looked like he was running through knee-deep mud, so likely isn't match fit. 14 points adrift now.

• That’s the sort of game where I want my money back that was gutless. No ambition to try to change things up just so negative

• I keep thinking this is the game Fred’s going to spark into life. Hasn’t happened yet.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    Not certain how Fred starts above Horgan, McCleary or Kashket at the moment either.

In all fairness Fred had good games against Preston, and good first halves v Spurs and Brentford as part of the Uche, Admiral, Fred front 3. Tonight he was one of 10 almost invisible players. A real head scratcher of a performance from start to finish. Not even necessarily that we played "badly" but more that we didn't really seem to come to play at all.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Other than Rocky's superb saves that was pub level football from both sides. Did we complete more than 2 passes in a row at any point all game? Awful. Nnamdi looked like he was running through knee-deep mud, so likely isn't match fit. 14 points adrift now.

*12 points

• Very very weak management.... Endless hoof ball when the bench had creativity on it. From the first 5 minutes Dean at the back had Ikpeazu under control, why continue to keep hoofing it... Ainsworth bottled it!

• Ainsworth it seems can only play one way. We had creativity on the bench but he didn't use it. Too afraid to lose to go for the wins we need.

• I wouldn’t blame any of the players for that, don’t think any of them had a particularly bad game. Tactically though, we were dogshite. We took off the only two players who had a shot, presumably as punishment for trying to score.

• It was good the referee decided to level it up with the sending off after we decided to go down to ten men on 70 minutes. Why replace the best attacker we have, who showed no sign of slowing down, with Bayo, who shows no sign of being able to leave first gear? Why bother signing forwards of the calibre of McCleary, Horgan and Wheeler if we're just going to leave Bloomfield on for 89 minutes? Why play for a draw against a team that will likely be relegated along with us, judging by tonight.

Do you still all think that Richard Dobson was just following Gareth's instructions to a tee when he made us play attractive football against Birmingham and delivered us three points?

• @drcongo said:
    I wouldn’t blame any of the players for that, don’t think any of them had a particularly bad game. Tactically though, we were dogshite. We took off the only two players who had a shot, presumably as punishment for trying to score.

My thoughts exactly. The way the team was set up, with a lack of any creativity in midfield, meant we were only ever going to play as we did.

• Ainsworth gone back to pure up and under football. McCleary and Horgan must be wondering why they signed for us.
    GA will probably say he is happy with the performance but that was our unadulterated crap!!!!

• This is the first time all season I’ve felt that we will get relegated. We were really poor tonight.

But, having said that, after a good thumping Saturday it was pretty important not to lose.

We do miss JJs deliveries from set pieces though.

Not a game to live in the memory other than one of the best saves I’ve EVER seen from a Wycombe keeper.

• @aloysius said:
    It was good the referee decided to level it up with the sending off after we decided to go down to ten men on 70 minutes. Why replace the best attacker we have, who showed no sign of slowing down, with Bayo, who shows no sign of being able to leave first gear? Why bother signing forwards of the calibre of McCleary, Horgan and Wheeler if we're just going to leave Bloomfield on for 89 minutes? Why play for a draw against a team that will likely be relegated along with us, judging by tonight.

Do you still all think that Richard Dobson was just following Gareth's instructions to a tee when he made us play attractive football against Birmingham and delivered us three points?

Do you think we got our 2 promotions under Gareth in spite of what Dobbo was advising then?
    Or that Dobbo has had no say in every other game bar those 2 wins?