Skip to content

New contracts

Rob Couhig has penned a letter reflecting on the January transfer window, and seems to have announced some new info regarding contract extensions for some of the squad.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/february/rob-pleased-with-january-transfer-business/

"Garath McCleary, Ryan Tafazolli, Curtis Thompson and David Wheeler’s contracts have been extended through next year and beyond."

Did we know about this already, did I miss it? Or is this brand new info. Good news either way!

Comments

• There's also this intriguing nugget:

"We also turned down significant offers of cash for one of our players. While we will never hold back a player from personal advancement, we could not support what was at best a lateral move for the player. He is vital to our success this season."

• This is excellent news

• @therabbittest said:
    There's also this intriguing nugget:

"We also turned down significant offers of cash for one of our players. While we will never hold back a player from personal advancement, we could not support what was at best a lateral move for the player. He is vital to our success this season."

Surely Stewart, Grimmer or Thompson? Most likely Stewart?

• Thompson would be my guess. Or maybe Stewart. Or Grimmer. Oh I dunno.

• Mehmeti would be my guess

• definitely exciting news - good work from the club

• @Vincey said:
    Mehmeti would be my guess

You really are the outlyer again. In that spirit I think it was almost certainly Ryan Allsop

• Anyone know the specific years of how long the contracts have been extended for?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:

You really are the outlyer again. In that spirit I think it was almost certainly Ryan Allsop

Stewart’s been injured for a couple of months otherwise I would have said him. My next guess would be Thompson but he’s also had a stop start season with injury.

Aside from that I’m struggling to think who else would have attracted interest.

Mehmeti being 20 and showing lots of promise and potential will undoubtedly have caught the eye.

• If I have understood this right, 22 man squad for next year is filling fast. Obviously possible that we may get offers for and transfer out one or two players before or even retirements.

Based on COTN I have (with possible gaps to be filled)

GK - ANO (Allsopp?) ANO
    RB - Grimmer, McCarthy
    LB - Jacobson, Obita
    CB - Stewart, Tafazolli, (ANO)
    CM - Gape, Bloomfield, Thompson, Freeman, (ANO)
    WM - Wheeler, Horgan, McCleary, Onyedinma
    F - Ikpeazu, Kashket, Samuel (ANO Bayo?)

22 players.

I believe Mehmeti and Clark would count as U21 players.

• Let’s have a poll...

• @Vincey said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:

Stewart’s been injured for a couple of months otherwise I would have said him. My next guess would be Thompson but he’s also had a stop start season with injury.

Mehmeti being 20 and showing lots of promise and potential will undoubtedly have caught the eye.

Best with the best will in the world hardly vital to our success this season. I'm thinking Horgan or Gape?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:

Best with the best will in the world hardly vital to our success this season. I'm thinking Horgan or Gape?

I would take the ‘vital to our success’ line with a pinch of salt.

Horgan has hardly set the world alight and Gape has made a handful of appearances.

• I'd imagine Anthony Stewart will have been firmly on the radar for every Championship club since the playoff final, if not before. His performances alongside Knight through the autumn have showed he is comfortable at this level and at 28 he's right at his peak. He'd definitely be the one most likely to attract a substantial offer I'd suggest.

• If they have decent second halves to the season and if we are relegated, I'd have thought it likely that both Grimmer and Stewart would get offers to stay in the Championship next season.
    At the start of the season I would have guessed that Gape and Fred may have been the in that scenario also but not so much now.

• I think it was probably Allsop or Grimmer who where subject to a bid. Allsop has played in every single minute of any game in any competition this season and Grimmer has played every minute of league football.

• If we have turned down a substantial cash offer for Allsop I might just claim that season ticket refund after all

• The extension of contracts are excellent news for the future of the club. If we are relegated, we are building a decent squad to go straight back up but also the opportunity to make money if we decide to sell. Superb financial sense.

• Excellent Curtis & Wheeler news particularly, full range of amateur detective work above, I'm not too sure people are scanning the stats for the Wycombe players who've had the most minutes as their top criteria on deadline day, far more likely to be one of those who made a few headlines earlier in the season or last

• The phrase that intrigues me is that the move would be "at best a lateral move for the player". Given the strong possibility that we'll be playing League One next season that suggests that the club looking to sign the player is currently League One with little chance of promotion. I wonder if it was Oxford looking to buy a player with Obita going the other way forming part of the deal.

• @aloysius said:
    The phrase that intrigues me is that the move would be "at best a lateral move for the player". Given the strong possibility that we'll be playing League One next season that suggests that the club looking to sign the player is currently League One with little chance of promotion. I wonder if it was Oxford looking to buy a player with Obita going the other way forming part of the deal.

Could be another lower end Championship club with more £ to chuck about

• edited February 2021

• @StrongestTeam not sure it could, given that, "at best" they'll be playing Championship football next season and we'll be playing League One. Unless, of course, the club have told the player we won't stand in their way of a move in the summer if we get relegated; or their contract comes to an end at the end of season anyway.

• When was the last time we were able to turn down a cash offer for a player? Would seem to explain the sudden absences during the window.

• @aloysius said:
    @StrongestTeam not sure it could, given that, "at best" they'll be playing Championship football next season and we'll be playing League One. Unless, of course, the club have told the player we won't stand in their way of a move in the summer if we get relegated; or their contract comes to an end at the end of season anyway.

Last time I checked the league table we had not been relegated.

• A lateral move would surely be another Championship side...a step down would be a League One side with cash...Peterborough? Sunderland? I cannot see any of our regulars wanting to drop down while we are still in the race to survive unless they were going to a team 'guaranteed' to come up.

• Surely as the worst goalie in the league @eric_plant it is doubtful Rocky drew any offers? :smile:

• @arnos_grove said:
    Let’s have a poll...

Lewandowski is rumoured to be unhappy at Bayern

• @Wendoverman said:
    Surely as the worst goalie in the league @eric_plant it is doubtful Rocky drew any offers? :smile:

I mean, that was sort of my point (not about being the worst goalie in the league)