Skip to content

Nnamdi returns?

Comments

• Great signing and absolutely needed. Full of energy and desire and if all fit he plays in the middle alongside Gape and Thompson for me.

• edited February 2021

In my view @Shev he would be a very useful addition to the squad.

He is better in the air than any of our midfielders (has played as a central defender for Bournemouth youth/reserves) in fact he could possibly have been used in that role against Brentford.

He is physically strong and probably less injury prone than all of our current midfielders. He has great potential for his age and he certainly already has more ability than Pattison and probably Adineran as well. He is more adaptable and pacier than ALL our midfielders.

I think you are a bit harsh writing him off as a goalscorer. He was extremely inexperienced when arriving last season, and now with games under his belt, I feel he could well improve on this front.

Your wish for a Championship standard creative fulcrum unfortunately costs more money than we have.

• Can he play in goal?

• Well, now he has confirmed as having signed, I am all for him scoring and creating a bunch! Nice lad, and hopefully he has progressed to the degree that the midfield can revolve around him.

That being said, I will go to my grave wondering what Freeman did to deserve getting shipped out.

• I'm delighted to have Nnamdi back. My thoughts were more about priorities and certainly no criticism of him. I've just watched his goal v Fleetwood about another 25 times. Now where does he play, who loses out, what formation do we adopt to accommodate him, does this mean a loan move out for someone?

• You can never have too many good player. I’m thrilled he’s back.

• @our_frank said:

Gareth Bale's cement lorry in the picture was a nice little red herring.

• @floyd said:
    You can never have too many good player.

Unless you have more than 25.

• Tremendous news. Curtis will finally have someone to help out. I'd love to see Nnamdi, Curtis and Dennis across the middle with Jack and Jordan given licence to bomb forward and Scotty and the Admiral playing off Uche. Jordan should still have plenty left in the tank as he's been rotated plenty since returning from injury this season, and Jason is an able replacement for Jack in that role if he starts to tire. The three across the middle can all drop in or get forward as required.

• Smashing. Can anybody with the time to count the players advise on whether this implies that somebody is moving out?

• @drcongo said:

@floyd said:

I hadn’t even thought about that. I guess someone must be leaving right?

• Excellent news, just a shame that he was probably signed after midday so will miss tomorrow (I guess it's the same principle for midweek matches as Saturday ones?)

Assuming Obita's signing means we have more central defensive cover, as McCarthy can play there, it means we have strong cover for every position bar one... Uche Ikpeazu. Well, I suppose Bayo is strong, but you know what I mean. Let's pray he stays fit for this half a season.

• @Shev said:
    Well, now he has confirmed as having signed, I am all for him scoring and creating a bunch! Nice lad, and hopefully he has progressed to the degree that the midfield can revolve around him.

That being said, I will go to my grave wondering what Freeman did to deserve getting shipped out.

Might have something to do with the fact that he can't currently force his way into a mid table League 2 starting eleven Shev?

• I’m really really please to have him back.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Ok I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and I'm happy to be gently shot at. Is he the player we need?
    He had three excellent post season games for us in the summer. But until then he had managed less than 20 games. He was hardly ripping up trees in a season when Thompson struggled for fitness and consistency.
    He went back to Bournemouth and has barely featured and has been touted as a centre half.
    I loved the guy's enthusiasm and joy during the play offs but fear we are signing a great person because he's a great person and not the player that might just pull us out of this.

I get where you're coming from, as he wasn't a regular for most of his time here. But he emerged really strongly, and it would have been nice to see him progress that with us at the start of the season.
    Exactly what we needed in that midfield with Gapeson out.

Better late than never I think, as we have 7 weeks of midweek/weekend, and we've seen that Adneiran and Gape can't be expected to play regularly, so we're very light in that area.

• @our_frank said:

Hang on.

I always thought Booker service station was the one at the top of New Road? Near the old Turnpike?!

Don't shatter my illusions like this!

• @mooneyman said:

@Shev said:
    Well, now he has confirmed as having signed, I am all for him scoring and creating a bunch! Nice lad, and hopefully he has progressed to the degree that the midfield can revolve around him.

Might have something to do with the fact that he can't currently force his way into a mid table League 2 starting eleven Shev?

I don't speak for Orient, or have any idea about their club, team, ethos or perspective - they have not scored the past two games without his limited minutes, so I am not sure which goalless Maradona is keeping him out of the side - but that is their business, not ours. I am more concerned about how he played for us, and what he could have brought to a currently uncreative table.

It's a fair debate, either way - the reason I have banged the drum is because I think creativity and composure in midfield was our absolute number one issue, so it is galling to see him leave - though we do still have Mehmeti. I also think Freeman played well in his limited recent chances before being dropped/falling ill, and that we looked a lot more balanced as a result.

Hopefully Nnamdi will be the answer. Having seen how good Uche and Admiral have looked, and knowing that we have some very good defenders coming back, I would expect a lot of us see the midfield as the major need either way, and so these midfield decisions have been extremely key.

• @Shev said:
    I am with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub on this one. I rate Nnamdi in a vacuum, but don't see it as a position of need. I would have much preferred some creativity. We always struggle for goals from midfield, and though he did score a screamer against Fleetwood, I would add him to the list of Gape, Thompson, Adineran and Pattison as midfielders who are very unlikely to find the net, with Bloomers marginally ahead because he is always good for at least one goal a season. This lack of midfield goals puts tremendous strain on the forwards to score, and the lack of creativity from midfield further exacerbates the problem.

We have a brilliant midfield for harassing and harrying, but we are really missing a creative fulcrum.

You've just seen us utterly annihilated by a Brentford team who just played straight through us in a number of positions.
    McCarthy and Charles weak links, but expecting Thompson to hold the centre midfield on his own was surely as big a reason.

When Gape or Adeniran are out or not fit, which has been most of the season, we're weak in there, as we're either putting it all on Thompson, or having to rely on Wheeler out of position, Bloomy/Pattison or even more makeshift options like McCarthy in there.

• @drcongo said:

@floyd said:

That means someone would have to be delisted from the first team then? Could that mean someone is on the move out of the club?

• Thompson had a rare off day...and probably the worst game for him to have one.

• @thedieharder said:

@drcongo said:

@floyd said:

That means someone would have to be delisted from the first team then? Could that mean someone is on the move out of the club?

Nnamdi is only 21, so may be eligible for the younger bracket. I don't really know how it works.

• Not for loans @drcongo .

By my reckoning one player cannot be included in the squad. Given that Phillips was loaned to the Conference this season, he would seem the obvious choice.

• @mooneyman said:

@therabbittest said:

@DevC said:
    Hard to see why he wouldn't just go to Rangers straight away. Perhaps they have squad size limits that prevent that. Would Adeniran stay or return to Everton if Nnamdi returned?

I think his contract is up in the summer, so maybe they just don't want to pay?

They would still have to pay Bournemouth compensation as he is only 21.

Only if they offer him a new contract for at least the same wage he is currently on.

• @Malone said:

@Shev said:
    I am with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub on this one. I rate Nnamdi in a vacuum, but don't see it as a position of need. I would have much preferred some creativity. We always struggle for goals from midfield, and though he did score a screamer against Fleetwood, I would add him to the list of Gape, Thompson, Adineran and Pattison as midfielders who are very unlikely to find the net, with Bloomers marginally ahead because he is always good for at least one goal a season. This lack of midfield goals puts tremendous strain on the forwards to score, and the lack of creativity from midfield further exacerbates the problem.

We have a brilliant midfield for harassing and harrying, but we are really missing a creative fulcrum.

You've just seen us utterly annihilated by a Brentford team who just played straight through us in a number of positions.
    McCarthy and Charles weak links, but expecting Thompson to hold the centre midfield on his own was surely as big a reason.

When Gape or Adeniran are out or not fit, which has been most of the season, we're weak in there, as we're either putting it all on Thompson, or having to rely on Wheeler out of position, Bloomy/Pattison or even more makeshift options like McCarthy in there.

So by that logic, who comes in for Mehmeti for creativity if he is injured? We now have six primarily defensive midfielders, though Nnamdi may indeed be the best one. I am all for Mehmeti as the primary creative midfielder if Freeman is not considered starter material - but it is a lot on young shoulders, and there is no plan B if he is out, or does not start himself.

Also, I blame that Brentford defeat a lot more on the left of defence, as you referenced. You noted Gape or Adeniran have been out most of the season, and yet most of the season we were able to keep the opposition from scoring more than two goals. I don't think keeping it tight has been the issue overall.

We have a total of one goal from the five defensive midfielders up to this point (Bloomfield v Derby) and though one of them must have assisted a goal at some point, I can't think of one off the top of my head.

This is not to downplay Nnamdi - just to point out he is going to have to be absolutely brilliant going forward for us to expect different results as far as midfield goals and assists, or Mehmeti is going to have to cement a place and play out of his mind. This does not mean we cannot score more anyway - Uche and Admiral give me confidence we will - but considering we scored at pretty much a historically low rate the first half of the season, I don't see why it is not considered reasonable for creativity to be a concern?

• @username123 said:

@mooneyman said:

@therabbittest said:

@DevC said:
    Hard to see why he wouldn't just go to Rangers straight away. Perhaps they have squad size limits that prevent that. Would Adeniran stay or return to Everton if Nnamdi returned?

I think his contract is up in the summer, so maybe they just don't want to pay?

They would still have to pay Bournemouth compensation as he is only 21.

Only if they offer him a new contract for at least the same wage he is currently on.

They did

https://www.footballinsider247.com/rangers-target-ofoborh-rejects-two-contract-offers/

• Danny Graham been released by Sunderland ..probably well out of our salay cap

• Elliot Lee has moved from Luton to Oxford on loan. I thought he looked a really good player on the occasions I saw him against us. Certainly one I’d have been pleased to see sign for us.

• how have Bolton signed Marcus maddison?