Skip to content

Match day thread: Brentford

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    I was just typing that I think McCarthy’s performance will be remembered as one of the all time worst. In years to come people will say ‘yeah I know xxxx had a bad game but it wasn’t as bad as McCarthy v Brentford in 2021’. Defensively inept. Set pieces embarrassing.

Everything has to be the worst ever these days. He didn't do very well today out of position against a top drawer wide player and getting no cover from a static left sided centre back.
    His set pieces were awful.

Never said THE but I’m struggling to think of a game where a player had so many elements of their game so wildly off. I always sympathise with a player out of position but this was a right back playing at left back not in the centre. He still knows about offside. He still knows about marking. He still knows about when to get tight. He still knows how to kick a ball for a corner. It was horrid to watch.

• A terrible result I know but we need to dust ourselves down and get on with the job in hand. We were without a recognised left back today (JJ), and also missing Gape, Tafazolli, Horgan and Stewart.

We need to start putting points on the board consistently and see where that takes us. Yes it is a long shot but I am sure we will not roll over.

• @mooneyman said:
    I think we can beat Notts Forest, Huddersfield and Millwall and draws against Birmingham and Derby. That's only 11 points I'm afraid.

Nottingham Forest, Notts County?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Vincey said:
    Thought it was a penalty to be honest, clumsy from Fred. I’d want that given if it was against my team.

How? What? I suppose everyone can have a few but I wasn't expecting anyone defending that utterly ludicrous decision. This is how we got Brexit and Boris Johnson

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, I wouldn’t say it was a ‘stonewaller’ but it was clumsy and you’ve certainly seen them given before. I would be appealing if it was the other way around as I suspect many others would.

Let’s not let that incident detract from what was an utterly appalling defensive performance.

You have your opinion but please don't tell me I've seen them given because I quite frankly never ever have. Never ever in all my years. Even the ref in the Kes film would have been embarrassed by that.

Wouldn't want to stop you slagging off our make shift defence though. Crack on.

Pretty sure Nathan McGinley gave away an almost identical one at Crewe about 3 years ago.

I’m not slagging anyone off but just giving my opinion on that defensive performance. For all our great work going forward we just don’t give ourselves a chance with all these mistakes at the back.

• @Vincey said:

@Vincey said:

@Vincey said:
    Thought it was a penalty to be honest, clumsy from Fred. I’d want that given if it was against my team.

How? What? I suppose everyone can have a few but I wasn't expecting anyone defending that utterly ludicrous decision. This is how we got Brexit and Boris Johnson

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, I wouldn’t say it was a ‘stonewaller’ but it was clumsy and you’ve certainly seen them given before. I would be appealing if it was the other way around as I suspect many others would.

Let’s not let that incident detract from what was an utterly appalling defensive performance.

You have your opinion but please don't tell me I've seen them given because I quite frankly never ever have. Never ever in all my years. Even the ref in the Kes film would have been embarrassed by that.

Pretty sure Nathan McGinley gave away an almost identical one at Crewe about 3 years ago.

I’m not slagging anyone off but just giving my opinion on that defensive performance. For all our great work going forward we just don’t give ourselves a chance with all these mistakes at the back.

The annoying thing with today, is that some superb forward play we put in will be almost totally forgotten.
    Arguably our best attacking half in an away game this season? Can't be many competing games!

• @Malone said:

@Vincey said:

@Vincey said:

@Vincey said:

The annoying thing with today, is that some superb forward play we put in will be almost totally forgotten.
    Arguably our best attacking half in an away game this season? Can't be many competing games!

Absolutely, Uche has been sensational, he’s made such an impact.

We just make so many mistakes at the back that we don’t give ourselves a chance. At this level they get punished every single time.

• One other thing. None of the subs made a joy of difference. Mehmeti lost the ball over and over. Samuel did the Samuel thing and got run around. McClearly barely touched the ball. Bayo was stationary and then looked injured or unwell.
    Incredible to think that a keeper who let in 7 was one of the stand outs.

• Samuel came on with two minutes left when we were 7-2 down!!!!

Give the lad a break!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I was just typing that I think McCarthy’s performance will be remembered as one of the all time worst. In years to come people will say ‘yeah I know xxxx had a bad game but it wasn’t as bad as McCarthy v Brentford in 2021’. Defensively inept. Set pieces embarrassing.

Everything has to be the worst ever these days. He didn't do very well today out of position against a top drawer wide player and getting no cover from a static left sided centre back.
    His set pieces were awful.

Never said THE but I’m struggling to think of a game where a player had so many elements of their game so wildly off. I always sympathise with a player out of position but this was a right back playing at left back not in the centre. He still knows about offside. He still knows about marking. He still knows about when to get tight. He still knows how to kick a ball for a corner. It was horrid to watch.

The third goal McCarthy stops playing to appeal, then as it drops loose, backs off, instead of closing down, encouraging the attacker to shoot, then turns away from the ball .
    The 5th goal was just totally embarrassing, no jockeying just pushed it passed him. It was like something you see on a Sunday morning.

• @eric_plant said:
    Samuel came on with two minutes left when we were 7-2 down!!!!

Give the lad a break!

Sorry if I’m wrong about the subs. Retracted

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    One other thing. None of the subs made a joy of difference. Mehmeti lost the ball over and over. Samuel did the Samuel thing and got run around. McClearly barely touched the ball. Bayo was stationary and then looked injured or unwell.

Someone posted a moan on facebook about the subs making no impact in the last 5mins.
    At 5-2 down, I wonder what they were expecting.

• @Malone said:

One other thing. None of the subs made a joy of difference. Mehmeti lost the ball over and over. Samuel did the Samuel thing and got run around. McClearly barely touched the ball. Bayo was stationary and then looked injured or unwell.

Someone posted a moan on facebook about the subs making no impact in the last 5mins.

No one was expecting a come back in the last 10 mins. But maybe conceding 2 was not the plan when putting them on

• edited January 2021

@Malone said:

No one was expecting a come back in the last 10 mins. But maybe conceding 2 was not the plan when putting them on

If there is any criticism of Gareth it is that the substitutions did not look to be designed to hold the score at 5 - 2 and maybe score from a breakaway. They looked like going for the 5 - 3, 5 -4 ... but that didn't work. It did look like there wasn't enough coherency left to achieve that and perhaps that lack of coherence in the last 15 minutes is what Gareth means when he says he doesn't accept defeats like that.

That said I think watching in pain at home or at the match, I would have rather seen 8 - 3 than 5 -2.

• @OX66 said:
    To top it all the hearts fan were wound up by a wycombe tweet and of course they are giving it large now.

That was a bit of a thoughtless tweet. We're not exactly the most popular club as it is, so inviting more dislike like that in my mind is stupid

• The criticism of Gareth Ainsworth has to come from the formation he plays. Someone mentioned it earlier but the full backs were once again given no support. This when we're playing with a makeshift left back against one of the best set of forwards in the league.

When we play 442 we play to our strengths. I like the new front three of Fred, Uche and Admiral but it just leaves us so exposed on the counter attack.

• Relegation form.

• Hard to take but one positive is that we don’t have to face Brentford again (unless we make the playoffs!).
    I think we paid a heavy price for some poor defending, an astonishingly bad decision on the penalty and then fatigue in the final 20 minutes when perhaps the efforts against Spurs caught up with us. Brentford are a very good team capable of thrashing any opposition on their day and they beat Luton 7-0 last season. We will have a stronger starting eleven on Tuesday and my biggest hope for the rest of the season is that Uche can continue his excellent form of recent weeks.

• edited January 2021

Looks like I made the right decision to turn that off. Highlight of this thread has to be the utter astonishment of almost everyone about that penalty decision, with @eric_plant choosing instead to see it as an opportunity to slag off Allsop again. Truly desperate stuff.

• "slag off".....wind your neck in

What did you make of his attempt to save it?

• @glasshalffull said:
    and then fatigue in the final 20 minutes when perhaps the efforts against Spurs caught up with us.

Just thought about exactly that over dinner. That’s 2 late in the game capitulations - granted one against a team that brought on 200m+ of talent off the bench - in a week when scoring goals in the last ten mins has been a hallmark of an Ainsworth team rather than conceding.

Given the preparations before the Spurs game I can only hope those 6 goals conceded in the last ten mins of these two games is down to fitness rather than anything else.

• @aloysius said:
    The criticism of Gareth Ainsworth has to come from the formation he plays. Someone mentioned it earlier but the full backs were once again given no support. This when we're playing with a makeshift left back against one of the best set of forwards in the league.

When we play 442 we play to our strengths. I like the new front three of Fred, Uche and Admiral but it just leaves us so exposed on the counter attack.

In the first half, no one was tracking backing with Brentfords exciting left back, Grimmer was faced with a 2v1 situation on a number of occasions. We were poor defensively from very early on, not just the second half.
    With McCarthys performance one of the worst I've ever witnessed in a Wanderers shirt

• @eric_plant said:
    "slag off".....wind your neck in

What did you make of his attempt to save it?

You’ve never tried to save a penalty have you, and now you’re embarrassing yourself. When you know you’ve gone the wrong way, you know you’ve gone the wrong way. Your funny little vendetta gets weirder by the week.

• @GrouchyGit said:
    Relegation form.

You think?

• How do you know I've never tried to save a penalty?

Take the night off and come back when you've calmed down a bit

• While there was ridicule over talk of 'must-win' matches just 10 games into the season, I think it's fair to say that Birmingham at home on Tuesday is absolutely must win. They are one of the teams we need to be targeting to catch.

Currently 12 points behind with 2 games in hand, knock it down to 9 and keep the games in hand and it will look a bit more promising..

• @Malone said:

@GrouchyGit said:
    Relegation form.

You think?

Sorry, should have read Relgated

• @glasshalffull said:
    Hard to take but one positive is that we don’t have to face Brentford again (unless we make the playoffs!).
    I think we paid a heavy price for some poor defending, an astonishingly bad decision on the penalty and then fatigue in the final 20 minutes when perhaps the efforts against Spurs caught up with us. Brentford are a very good team capable of thrashing any opposition on their day and they beat Luton 7-0 last season. We will have a stronger starting eleven on Tuesday and my biggest hope for the rest of the season is that Uche can continue his excellent form of recent weeks.

For some reason, having clocked the insane run of midweek games for the next SEVEN weeks, I suddenly started thinking we might still have a chance.

Just based on some magical hope that if we get on a run, the games come so thick and fast, we could quickly put a haul of points together.

• It was an odd performance, Quite exhilarating up front at times, but no disguising we were woeful at the back. Thompson having a rare off day in the middle didn't help.

I suspect we'll be very fired up for Tuesday though and I'd hope a strengthened back 4 will make a big difference

• @eric_plant said:
    How do you know I've never tried to save a penalty?

Take the night off and come back when you've calmed down a bit

Because you have admitted as much by complaining that Allsop somehow didn’t save that after going the wrong way. Either you've never tried to save one and were absent from school the day they taught momentum in physics, or you’re basically taking any opportunity you can possibly get to slag off one of our players. If I was you I’d take the get out clause I’ve offered you so as not to embarrass yourself any further.