Skip to content

Left Back

I think there is a chance we will now go out and sign an experienced but perhaps out of favour LB until the end of the season now, even if it does cost us a few quid in wages. Seemed like JJ may have done his groin and that could be a real problem. Loads of games coming up, but whereas before we may not have been a great place to come to as a LB (because of how vital JJ’s set pieces are and having to dislodge him etc), now we may be seen as a great option for someone who is looking for a run of games at championship level. Hopefully he will be ok but it’s a bit of a worry.

Comments

• Has there been any word at all on JJ?

• Nothing concrete. I read somewhere that he hopes to be back soon. Well, he would, wouldn’t he.

• JJ must be built like a tank. Some of the clattering he's got up and played on from over the years would have put anyone else out for months.

• Has to be right up there with the best signings we’ve ever made and a top bloke as well.

• Certainly our best ever left back, with an extra yard of pace I'm sure Joe would have had a long international and premiership career.

• Looks likely that Tafazoli will be back in the squad this weekend according to Bucks Free Press, with JJs injury still being assessed so highly unlikely to feature this weekend. The reporter also tweeted yesterday to say keep an eye out for news of us making one more signing.

• Did JJ and Bale play in the same Wales under 21 squad. I think the commentator said that on BT Sport this week?

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Did JJ and Bale play in the same Wales under 21 squad. I think the commentator said that on BT Sport this week?

Bale only appeared in 3 games for the U21's because he was playing for the National Team from 16 years old.

By what I can see they never appeared on the pitch together or in a matchday squad.

• I used to play left back.

Left back in the changing rooms

• @wwfcblue I think you must have missed a match. From JJ's interview in The Times on Monday:

Many moons ago, the pair were lining up for Wales Under-21 together. “We were playing Turkey, it was a qualifier for [Under-21] Euro 2006 and Brian Flynn was manager,” Jacobson says. “The funny thing is Gareth played left back and I was left midfield. Within ten minutes we had swapped. I can’t remember if it was the manager, or if Gareth just thought, ‘I’m going to bomb past you.’ In the end, I thought, ‘I may as well just stay here.’"

• @aloysius said:
    @wwfcblue I think you must have missed a match. From JJ's interview in The Times on Monday:

Many moons ago, the pair were lining up for Wales Under-21 together. “We were playing Turkey, it was a qualifier for [Under-21] Euro 2006 and Brian Flynn was manager,” Jacobson says. “The funny thing is Gareth played left back and I was left midfield. Within ten minutes we had swapped. I can’t remember if it was the manager, or if Gareth just thought, ‘I’m going to bomb past you.’ In the end, I thought, ‘I may as well just stay here.’"

The information I found had Bale in the senior squad that week but a further search shows that Bale played for the U21’s not the seniors.

The draw with Turkey meant they didn’t qualify for the next round.

Both Bale and JJ played the full 90. Bale played and started for the senior team three days later against Brazil in a friendly.

• We have just signed Jordan Obita from Oxford. 2.5 year deal.

• Not just temporary cover with a 2.5yr deal.
    If he can displace JJ from the starting line-up and provide the set piece deliveries we've become used too then that's a great price of business, ?

• I just realised that I may never see JJ play for us again - in person rather than just on ifollow/TV, I mean - and I'm gutted.
    I know that's maybe true of others too - e.g. Blooms, Bayo - and somehow it doesn't seem right that we never got to celebrate promotion properly or say "Thank-you" for their great service.

In the scheme of things many others didn't get to say "Thank-you or Good-bye" to loved ones this last year and their loss is much greater than my feelings just now.
    Nevertheless, when this horrible mess is finally behind us I do hope that the club can find a fitting way to bring fans and players together in some way to mark what has been lost.

• @Twizz said:
    Not just temporary cover with a 2.5yr deal.
    If he can displace JJ from the starting line-up and provide the set piece deliveries we've become used too then that's a great price of business, ?

If he can do a good job at left back or left mid then great, I wouldn't write JJ off yet or expect the new guy to be our top goalscorer

• @Twizz said:
    I just realised that I may never see JJ play for us again - in person rather than just on ifollow/TV, I mean - and I'm gutted.
    I know that's maybe true of others too - e.g. Blooms, Bayo - and somehow it doesn't seem right that we never got to celebrate promotion properly or say "Thank-you" for their great service.

In the scheme of things many others didn't get to say "Thank-you or Good-bye" to loved ones this last year and their loss is much greater than my feelings just now.
    Nevertheless, when this horrible mess is finally behind us I do hope that the club can find a fitting way to bring fans and players together in some way to mark what has been lost.

JJ was mentioned as signing a "multi year" deal in this link below, although I can't find anywhere that confirms it is until June 2022.

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2020/july/wembley-heroes-stay-for-championship-adventure/

So he should be around next season, unless you think we'll not get back in stadiums next season, you won't be going yourself, or the new signing will be such a success we'd dump JJ in the summer?

• Why would you not see JJ play for us again?

• There’s still plenty to come from Joe. No harm having two left backs, particularly if one is basically a left winger turned into a left back.

• No idea where the JJ speculation is coming from. It's ludicrous and he'll be back. All we've done is sign a left sided player.

• Much needed cover, but JJ definitely has much left in the tank. He just held a four time European Champion scoreless, you know!

• Seems like I miss read something somewhere down a rabbit hole about JJ retiring at the end of the season.
    Glad to have been shown to be wrong.

That said my point about the club being able to find a fitting way to bring fans and players together in some way to mark what has been lost remains.

• Assuming JJ is expected to be out for 5-6 weeks then signing a left back was crucial. We play twice a week all through Feb. Facing so many games with a youngster or McCarthy out of position at left back would have really damaged our chances through a crucial period of games.

Good to see that we are bringing in a player that should make both a meaningful contribution to trying to stay in this division, balanced alongside a contract term that means we retain the services of a quality player if we do go down.

• I remember reading something in the summer when Obita was released and seemed that Reading fans felt he was a decent LB at this level but unfortunate with his injuries. Nice of Oxford to get him up to match fitness just ready for us to take him on! ?. A sensible signing I would say,

• I wonder whether Orbita was going to sign a pre agreement to sign for next season.
    Then JJ's injury comes, so with Orbita's blessing inform the PNL, and suggest we take him now for a small fee.

• On the pnl forum mixed views on orbita as you would expect for any player joining us from them. Rumoured to have paid £150k

• Come on chaps/chapesses! It’s surely not that hard to respect a new player by getting his five letter surname right.

• Of course he may send us into orbit.

• @micra said:
    Come on chaps/chapesses! It’s surely not that hard to respect a new player by getting his five letter surname right.

I've always suspected chas harps spells player names wrong intentionally as some sort of banter.

• @Twizz said:
    Not just temporary cover with a 2.5yr deal.

I hope he was given a corner-taking audition at the training ground!

• Yes, I know. Audition is the wrong word.