Skip to content

What further squad additions do we need in the Jan window?

Comments

• I was disappointed we didn’t sign him on a free, good piece of business to get him on board now. Big step up from lower league Oxford though.

• Only 2 slightly offputting responses, saying he was their "stand in left back" and "barely a regular", but if he's played 15 games since signing in November, he must have been involved in the vast majority of games.

• @Malone said:
    Only 2 slightly offputting responses, saying he was their "stand in left back" and "barely a regular", but if he's played 15 games since signing in November, he must have been involved in the vast majority of games.

There’s a certain type of fan who always denigrates players leaving the club. And to be fair, he’s our stand in left back too.

• @floyd said:

@Malone said:
    Only 2 slightly offputting responses, saying he was their "stand in left back" and "barely a regular", but if he's played 15 games since signing in November, he must have been involved in the vast majority of games.

There’s a certain type of fan who always denigrates players leaving the club. And to be fair, he’s our stand in left back too.

I asked a Reading pal about McCleary and he said he "used" to be a great player before his pace went. And he's turned out really well.
    So hope for some more understatement from him about this lad.

Suspect JJ must be out for a decent time.

• I understand the fee was a large pack of assorted crisps and three rows of seats for their away end.

That’s twice he’s rejected them for bigger local clubs.

Welcome Jordan. If you go on to be another Tommy Mooney we will be delighted

• @Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

I asked a Reading pal about McCleary and he said he "used" to be a great player before his pace went. And he's turned out really well.

Match preview on the website says Ainsworth hopes JJ is in the squad tomorrow. We can therefore assume he's out for the season.

• It’s always the injuries that look completely innocuous that turn out to be the worst isn’t it?

On another note, Obita is contracted to the end of 22/23, so we have anyone else who’s contract runs that far?

• @Brownie said:

@Malone said:

@floyd said:

@Malone said:

Match preview on the website says Ainsworth hopes JJ is in the squad tomorrow. We can therefore assume he's out for the season.

Yep. Same with Stewart - hoped to be available for a game about 3-4 days away, then taken months to even get back to the warmup.

• Grimmer, McCarthy and Uche (and Ainsworth), @floyd .

Slightly surprising. Has JJ decided to finish at end of season?

• So we have 33 players now including 26 players who were above 21 at the start of the season. Cap limit is 25 so does that mean someone from the first team has to be dropped from there?

• The transfer window closes at 11pm on Monday, February 1, 2021, I believe.
    Watch this space must be the order of the day ...

(Something to look forward to anyway)

• I make it 25 players counting for the cap. Yates Mehmeti and the B team players are “under 21 players”. Freeman not ours this season now.
    Wouldn’t surprise me to see Philips return to a conference team on loan. No transfer deadline in that league.

• @DevC said:
    I make it 25 players counting for the cap. Yates Mehmeti and the B team players are “under 21 players”. Freeman not ours this season now.
    Wouldn’t surprise me to see Philips return to a conference team on loan. No transfer deadline in that league.

Yates was 21 when the season started.

• True. But he is still an u21 player under the rules. Cut off is 1 January 1999. No idea why but thems the rules.

• Good spot Dev. Andre Burley was also 21 when the season started but i guess he has a late birthday as well.

• Cameron Yates was born on 14/2/99
    Andre Burley was born on 10/10/99

• @DevC said:
    Grimmer, McCarthy and Uche (and Ainsworth), @floyd .

Slightly surprising. Has JJ decided to finish at end of season?

What are you talking about?

• It's good to know some Oxford players have finally found the motivation and tactics to achieve second tier status.

• @floyd said:
    Ten wins should do it, particularly if half of those come against teams in the five places above us. Not easy, far from impossible.

I’m going for P23 W8 D6 L9 Pts 30. Final answer.

That would give us 45 points. Helluva stretch though and we won’t do it if we’re as unlucky with injuries to key players as we were for the first half of the season.

The challenge starts in earnest tomorrow.

• Very pleased with that signing. A talented player with good experience and an excellent left foot.

• Interesting in his pre match interview, Ainsworth has said he is hoping to get one more over the line before the end of the window.

• @davecz said:
    Interesting in his pre match interview, Ainsworth has said he is hoping to get one more over the line before the end of the window.

Was that interview done live today? Just wondering if it was done before we did yesterday's late business.

• @Malone said:

@davecz said:
    Interesting in his pre match interview, Ainsworth has said he is hoping to get one more over the line before the end of the window.

Was that interview done live today? Just wondering if it was done before we did yesterday's late business.

Yep done today

• I genuinely think a keeper who commands his area and allows us to defend higher up the pitch would help us massively

Today's defensive calamities weren't helped by having to defend so deep

• As for him facing penalties, it defies description

• Today’s result might suggest we need quite a few new players!!!

• When facing a penalty we should adopt the Corinthian attitude, of where the keeper steps aside to let the opposition score.
    1; Allsop might get closer to stopping one.
    2, Should get the game restarted quicker.

• Always interesting to read the gossips columns around transfer window closing day. For a sense of perspective a number of our peers are chucking a couple of million here, a million there in this window and we are shopping in the bargain basement (no offence - that is the reality). Today Millwall are buying a player (paper talk admittedly) for £750k. No one could say that they are a renowned money bags club.

• @eric_plant said:
    I genuinely think a keeper who commands his area and allows us to defend higher up the pitch would help us massively

Today's defensive calamities weren't helped by having to defend so deep

Agreed

• Maybe we could bring in a midfielder with composure on the ball and good passing range...