Skip to content

Match day thread: Tottenham

Comments

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

@Malone said:
    Hoping that JJ staying on for a little bit after his injury means it's not too serious.

You realise how critical he is to our style when he's missing.

I thought the same about Stewart and that proved slightly over-optimistic.

Did Stewart actually play on though? Or just come back on and instantly have to come back off? JJ had a few mins of action.

I don’t think there was much in it @Malone. I think Stewart is more cautious than JJ about the risk of aggravating an injury as he seems more prone than JJ to sustaining medium/long term injuries. I don’t recall JJ having many injuries at all apart from a back problem a few seasons ago. A very fit guy for his age who looks after himself well.

• Hojberg really changed the second half. In the first half Blooms and Curtis were nipping at the feet of their midfield, pressing onto Tanganga and not letting them build much.

When they changed that for the last 45, we struggled to get near them, he controlled it superbly.

Says something when they need Kane, Bale and, one of the Prems best players, Son to beat us.

• You forgot to mention Ndombele, who looked like a staggeringly good player when he came on

• Ndombele was amazing. Mourinho has got him going now.

• Excellent effort from the team last night . Slightly surprised about the number of players seemingly unavailable when Ainsworth in his pre match interviews said all bar one had trained and out of his squad of 30 , very high 20s were available for selection. Were some being rested for the league game?

• @JohnBoy said:
    @ryan_w_kirkby Do you mind me asking how old your son is? Mine is 15 months, looking to get him a shirt in the near future.

Ellis is also 15 months old, I ordered the kit online and though it took a little time to come and was expensive (around £60/70 I think) it was worth it. Also managed to get quite a bit of stuff off amazon and eBay, wycombe pyjamas and baby grows etc for a decent price.

• Maybe we should sign Ellis as cover LB @ryan_w_kirkby

• What was staggeringly noticeable was how bigger and quicker their front 3 were. Son took a shot and it went past the post before I'd even registered it had happened.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Maybe we should sign Ellis as cover LB @ryan_w_kirkby

He's probably quicker than JJ now! No just to see him kick a ball would be amazing, he was born with a rare syndrome called Moebius and one of the side effects of that was being born with 2 club feet.

• Given how little he has played, and the difficulties he had stepping up to The Championship at the beginning of the season, I felt Darius C did pretty well. Yes he lost his man for their second but when he first came on for JJ I was really worried. Good to seem him out there.

• Yes, I thought Darius did well, especially considering he's hardly played this season. A fairly intimidating prospect to be suddenly thrust into the action against that front line, but he acquitted himself well.

• If I've done my sums correctly, in our 2 matches against Spurs we've been drawing for 117 minutes, ahead for 71 minutes, and behind for 9 minutes. To end up lose both matches is hard to take but shows what an incredible effort the boys have put in.

• Let's hope JJ's injury is only short term and he can recover quickly. Don't forget we have just signed a young defender in James Clark, who can play at left back. Personally I would like to see Jason McCarthy play in midfield.
    COYB

• Last night was fantastic, backs to the wall for a lot of the 90 minutes but when we did go forward we looked really threatening. Fred was outstanding, particularly defensively.

Substitutions changed the game in the last 15 minutes. I think we missed a trick by leaving Wheeler on for 90, he was outstanding but clearly knackered! Perhaps, we could have done with Adeniran bringing some fresh legs into the game to try and counter their late changes. The pace that Son and Ndombele injected into the game was incredible.

We played 4-4-2 for a change and with two proper central midfielders we looked good. Would like to see us consider continuing with this. Muskwe certainly played well sitting off Uche.

Darius came on and did really well and McCarthy improved on his previous runout at left back. There were so many positives to take out of last night.

Overall immensely proud of still having a sniff after 85 minutes.

• @FmG said:
    If I've done my sums correctly, in our 2 matches against Spurs we've been drawing for 117 minutes, ahead for 71 minutes, and behind for 9 minutes. To end up lose both matches is hard to take but shows what an incredible effort the boys have put in.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Ndombele was amazing. Mourinho has got him going now.

Never heard of this guy before last night. Looked almost unstoppable. But then he should be with a £55million price tag

• I thought the BBC Radio commentary was very fair to Wycombe but wasn't very impressed by the summariser Clinton Morrison saying that the pitch was good "despite having rugby played on it."

• When you hear the absolute guff most of these pundits talk about your club, you have to assume that most things they say about other clubs are equally misleading.

• @wingnut said:
    I thought the BBC Radio commentary was very fair to Wycombe but wasn't very impressed by the summariser Clinton Morrison saying that the pitch was good "despite having rugby played on it."

Clinton Morrison is truly awful, full of basic cliches and very little intellectual insight.
    I'm struggling to think of a worse pundit/summarise that has last more than a few games, behind the Mic.
    Mind you Joe Cole is running him close.

• How long is it since that rugby club moved out? Did the guy think the pitch is still recovering or was he just reflecting on Fred’s fall on top of White Hart Kane ?

On an extremely serious note, I can’t dismiss the thought (constantly on my mind) that, if Uche Ikpeazu had been fit for the first half of the season, we wouldn’t be propping up the rest of the table now. Let’s hope he stays fit and that he and the Admiral will be challenging each other to be leading scorer.

• I really believe that keeping Uche fit is the key to our hopes of staying in the Championship.

• Uche has been unbelievable, unplayable at times.

I hope he can start completing 90 mins soon because he offers a genuine threat whenever he is on the pitch.

• I’m pretty sure Uche could do 90 now. He always looks pretty annoyed at being subbed. One odd thing I noticed yesterday was that in the second half it seemed Uche had been told to close down the defenders more, so he was doing a lot of running and it was really bothering the Spurs back four, but then we replaced him as soon as it was starting to have the desired effect with someone who can’t close down. Not a bash of Bayo though, I thought he was superb when he came on - won nearly all his headers, his flick ons were excellent and he looked more sprightly than we’ve seen him in probably a year or so. I hope that’s a sign that Uche’s form is giving Bayo the recuperation time he’s needed.

• Was it just me but in the second half it seemed that when they challenged Uche in the air they headed it down into the ground rather than up in the air and away and as a result we seemed to have less opportunity to win the second ball?

• @bookertease said:
    Was it just me but in the second half it seemed that when they challenged Uche in the air they headed it down into the ground rather than up in the air and away and as a result we seemed to have less opportunity to win the second ball?

Depends if you are Toby Alderweireld or not

• I must admit (yes Bayo did a good job when he came on) I thought the same about Uche...he still looked full of running. Him and Kashket together might have been a bigger problem for the Spurs defence.

• @ChasHarps said:

@wingnut said:
    I thought the BBC Radio commentary was very fair to Wycombe but wasn't very impressed by the summariser Clinton Morrison saying that the pitch was good "despite having rugby played on it."

Clinton Morrison is truly awful, full of basic cliches and very little intellectual insight.
    I'm struggling to think of a worse pundit/summarise that has last more than a few games, behind the Mic.
    Mind you Joe Cole is running him close.

That applies to almost all the ex Footballers used as summarisers

• There are some excellent ones Danny Murphy, Mark Lawrenson,lee Dixon,Pat Nevin,Garth Crooks to name just a few.
    Clinton Morrison must have something on a producer, as he can barely string a coherent sentence together.

• On the flip side to your last sentence @ChasHarps, Garth Crooks makes his point over an eternity when one sentence will do! ?

• Danny Murphy is probably my least favourite as it goes. We've all got different tastes though I suppose

I agree with earlier comments about John Champion and Ally McCoist. Comfortably the best duo out there at the moment