Skip to content

Bodger

Nice to see the Chiltern bodgers featured on Countryfile tonight after the Manu game. A good omen for tomorrow.

Comments

• I can't help but feel that today's snow was nature's way of telling us we will be winning our 4th round tie tomorrow

• His definition of the origin of why they're called bodger sounded a bit tenuous. Can anyone confirm or repudiate?

• From Wikipedia

The origins of the term are obscure. There is no known etymology of the modern term bodger that refers to skilled woodworkers. It first appears c. 1910,[12]

[12] Eland, E (1911). The Chilterns and the Vale VI. London: Longmans, Green and Co. p. 136.

and

There is a hypothesis that bodges, defined as rough sacks of corn, closely resembled packages of finished goods the bodgers carried when they left the forest or workshop. Another hypothesis (dating from 1879) is that bodger was a corruption of badger, as similarly to the behaviour of a badger, the bodger dwelt in the woods and seldom emerged until evenings.[14]

[14] Hunter, Robert (1879). The encyclopædic dictionary: a new and original work of reference to all the words in the English language, with a full account of their origin, meaning, pronunciation, and use. Volume 1. Cassell, Petter, Galpin and Co. p. 624. OCLC 7500304

• Anyone know where they were filming? Don't think they said.

• Great bodger work on show by local legend and relative of mine Stuart King.
    Well worth a watch. Also showed what a tremendous farce HS2 patently is.

• The value of HS2 was never clear to me, especially when you factor in the destruction required to build it.

Surely post Covid and with the shift to working from home, it is the whitest of white elephants now.

• I have always been of the opinion that HS2 was about the lining of pockets in the form of brown envelopes & Swiss bank accounts than the benefit of the masses. If you want to get to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker, then get an earlier train or leave earlier in the car. It really isn't rocket science.
    Saying it will employ 20,000 people in the build is hardly a justifiable reason as the build will be temporary & the costs will spiral out of control, as indeed they have already!
    The last I knew of any calculations done it worked out at more than 3 million pounds per person employed. Surely the government could have spent that money on feeding our kids, mental health and the NHS?

• And of course as we move into more remote working (speeded up no doubt by the changes forced on us by the dreaded Covid) the necessity also decreases to some extent. I remember an economist when asked about Government estimates of the cost said : 'Governments struggle to accurately predict economic success, economic collapse or how much things will cost next year...never mind over 20 years...'

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I have always been of the opinion that HS2 was about the lining of pockets in the form of brown envelopes & Swiss bank accounts than the benefit of the masses. If you want to get to Birmingham 20 minutes quicker, then get an earlier train or leave earlier in the car. It really isn't rocket science.
    Saying it will employ 20,000 people in the build is hardly a justifiable reason as the build will be temporary & the costs will spiral out of control, as indeed they have already!
    The last I knew of any calculations done it worked out at more than 3 million pounds per person employed. Surely the government could have spent that money on feeding our kids, mental health and the NHS?

And the built is an environmental disaster during and after it has been done.

• @Wendoverman said:
    And of course as we move into more remote working (speeded up no doubt by the changes forced on us by the dreaded Covid) the necessity also decreases to some extent.

And all the right wing press sneered at the idea of turning broadband into a public utility in the Labour manifesto. It would have cost a fraction of HS2 to do and could have been run at a profit.

• edited January 2021

They'll probably decide to scrap it just after it's past Great Missenden...