Skip to content

Quick quiz question ?

This match saw 120 Thames Valley Police officers posted on duty for a Wycombe Wanderers home match.
I believe this is still a record, can anyone name the date and opposition ?

Comments

• Loakes Park or Adams Park?

• West Ham at home in the cup in the 94/95 season?

• Celtic for Jason's testimonial?

• Swansea City? The season after the Auto (something or other) Trophy area final? I remember the game being made all ticket and subsequently being played to a very small crowd, with police pretty much matching the Swansea away support in numbers.

• V Chelsea FLC Semi Final 2007?

• Millwall FA cup replay December 2000?

• No correct answers yet ?

• I would have gone for the Swansea match following the autoglass one

They made it all ticket and I think there were more coppers than Swansea fans

• @bookertease said:
    Loakes Park or Adams Park?

Surprisingly it was at Loakes Park !!

• Chelmsford in the FA Cup 1985/6?

• Incorrect Mr Ludd, although there was a large and overworked number of officers on that eventful day.

• Wasn't it some random match where the police where doing a training exercise for tackling football violence in the 80's?

I'm going for Kingstonian in 1982

• They came along with the rest of us to see their colleagues in the Metropolitan Police get soundly thrashed

• Or Bedford in the second replay in 1975

• Part of your answer is partially correct.
    But the Kingstonian home game that season was the Hitachi cup semi final 2nd leg.
    And I doubt if there was more than a couple of coppers present.
    An amazing game although, already 2 nil down from the first leg, the K's scored again early.
    We eventually won the game 5-3, leaving the aggregate at 5-5.
    I remember Dave Alexander pulling the strings for kingstonian in midfield.

• @bookertease said:
    Or Bedford in the second replay in 1975

Neither answer correct Mr Tease !!

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Wasn't it some random match where the police where doing a training exercise for tackling football violence in the 80's?

I'm going for Kingstonian in 1982

Slough Town in 1986/7.

• Lincoln City in the Conference? There was a lot of talk before that game at Loakes Park about Lincoln bringing a bunch of hoolies down.

• Yes you are correct Mr Ludd, Two weeks earlier their had been significantly crowd trouble when Wycombe followers attacked Yeovil fans before the game in the top of the table clash.
    So coupled with the fact that neither Oxford Utd or Reading were at home on the 28th Feb. TVP decided to deploy 120 officers for a crowd that was given at 2144.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Lincoln City in the Conference? There was a lot of talk before that game at Loakes Park about Lincoln bringing a bunch of hoolies down.

A well known group of Lincoln City hooligans were known as the Lincoln Transit Elite.
    That day, their mode of transport home must have changed, as it was set on fire in the old college car park.

• I could swear there was more than 120 plod for our playoff second leg against Plymouth.

• @drcongo said:
    I could swear there was more than 120 plod for our playoff second leg against Plymouth.

Probably some were pilgrims in fancy dress!