Skip to content

Freeman moving to Leyton Orient on loan

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    Morris was a good player...but did not seem to shine at Pompey. Or did I miss something.

I think Morris got some rotten luck with a knee injury at Pompey & they just couldn't get it right. Took 2 maybe three operations & a long rehab. May have been out for a year or so? Really liked him as a player with us & was gutted that he signed for Pompey, but they did pay a fee for him at a time we didn't have the proverbial pot to urinate in!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Morris was a good player...but did not seem to shine at Pompey. Or did I miss something.

I think Morris got some rotten luck with a knee injury at Pompey & they just couldn't get it right. Took 2 maybe three operations & a long rehab. May have been out for a year or so? Really liked him as a player with us & was gutted that he signed for Pompey, but they did pay a fee for him at a time we didn't have the proverbial pot to urinate in!

Morris just went out on loan to Northampton for the season as it happens.

• Jermaine Udumaga's short spell at Wycombe ended with him doing a couple of stepovers, ghosting past two opposition players and sliding a pinpoint killer pass into the box. Obviously we'll have none of that shit round these parts.

• @YorkExile said:
    @thedieharder Nathan Evans was a winger wasn't he?

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub Adeniran can break defensive lines, i.e. surge past opponents with the ball, which is every bit as important as creativity. I think he's a fantastic talent and would love to see more of him alongside Thompson over the rest of the season.

I'm a big fan of Adeniran. What I am uncertain about is where he plays in our formation. We seem to favour an anchor in front of the back four. Thompson imho is the best at that role as he breaks up play effortlessly and makes simple passes. Gape not far behind in the same role. Adeniran doesn't seem to be used in that role as much. So where can he go if we are playing 2 from Horgan/McCleary/Fred? The centre of midfield is strong on paper just short of final creativity and god forbid goals.

• Personally, I'd start Gape in that position every time. I always feel that the centre backs benefit hugely from his nose for danger when he plays that role and I think we've really missed him. I'd play Thompson and Adeniran a bit further forward.

• edited January 2021

!> @OxfordBlue said:

Very few duds in there.

Also worth noting Nathan Evans was essentially imposed on us by our sponsors at the time, Samsung. Ainsworth had to choose a player from a team of trialists, and Samsung paid the wages.

Ah Evans.
    Didn't get close to the squad but probably had a lovely experience for a season!
    Bar the rumoured situation with another player who had signed a 1 year deal one day, then was mysteriously bombed out a few days later!

• @glasshalffull said:
    Regarding Spring, let’s just say that modesty and a willingness to adapt to lower division football were not exactly his strongest qualities.

Can't speak for his modesty, but considering he hung around the non league scene for 3 or 4 years after leaving Wycombe hardly suggests he had a problem with the level he found himself at. I saw him couple of times playing for Hemel and he clearly still had the quality to play to a decent standard even in his late 30s if not the legs and general fitness.

Being prepared to sit on the bench hardly seems like a fair criticism or example of a bad attitude. If he was content to accept the manager's decision and not kick up a fuss and demand more first team action then fair enough.

• edited January 2021

Whatever the ins and outs of the Spring situation, Ainsworth has repeatedly shown he'll play players with flair if it's a huge benefit to the team.

Eze, Ibe, Saunders first time, and now Mehmeti this season.

Freeman had his work cut out being a regular this season, but regular games at a strong league 2 side might be what is needed to bring him on a gear. Then he still has a chance of staking a claim next season.

• -Matt Spring was on a contract extension deal based on number of league appearances, agreed by Garry W.
    -Gaz, when he took over, understandably, didn’t like Matts ‘casual’ approach to the game, so wanted rid.
    -So Matt didn’t get selected.
    -Club hoped he would move on if not selected, he chose, in the twilight of his career, to see out his generous contract.
    -So he is ‘punished’ by being selected on the bench (having to travel, behave etc) but never getting a game - Bristol Rovers away there was no room on the bench so he got a white plastic chair from the stewards and sat on that!

Yes I did admire his skill, topped by the best goal I’ve ever seen in a Wycombe shirt - B&B cup quarter final vs Slough at Beaconsfield a volley from inside the centre circle that bananas top bins, genius.

Of course @glasshalffull may know better, but if he has the inside track I’d rather hear about what’s gone on with the change of goalkeeper coach.

• just a point of clarification, as it's come up a couple of times on this thread. Ibe left before Ainsworth took over. (Unless folks have inside knowledge and are referring to Ibe: The Comeback.)

• I have no idea why Matt Spring has suddenly become a subject of debate. The point is that Gaz has never shown a reluctance to select creative players who have the right attitude. Regarding the change of goalkeeper coach, I am assured that there is nothing sinister in this whatsoever.

• One of the great things about having a crap memory is I can barely remember seeing Matt Spring play. Or perhaps my memory's fine and he didn't make much impact? Either way, we seem to have survived without him.

• He definitely didn’t. I was privileged to meet them both many years ago when a group of us from OWWSA spent a morning at the training ground followed by lunch in the refectory/canteen. GA told us over lunch that you couldn’t really coach someone as talented as Jordon Ibe. I was s bit star struck that day (and uncharacteristically tongue tied) but Marion Lennon kept the conversation flowing.
    Talking of which, I’ve just thought of the opposite of tongue tied. Tongue tide?!

• Thanks @glasshalffull for the comprehensive keeper coach clarification (see what I did there).
    To conclude Springate, I still have a few signed pics of ‘Messi Matt’ for those interested.

• @our_frank said:
    just a point of clarification, as it's come up a couple of times on this thread. Ibe left before Ainsworth took over. (Unless folks have inside knowledge and are referring to Ibe: The Comeback.)

Post I was commenting on (extremely slowly) about 20 minutes ago! Had to ring someone to remind me of Marion’s surname !

• @micra But Ibe left for Liverpool in December 2011. Ainsworth was appointed caretaker in September 2012. So he may have coached him, but he can't ever have selected him.

• I’m confused then @our_frank because I feel sure he wasn’t present as a ‘mere’ player. He was very much the main man.

• All I remember of Matt Spring was I wish we had him 10 years earlier, same as I wished we had Martin Bullock 10 years earlier. And Ray Wilkins 20 years earlier.

• Nick only makes the bench at Orient.

• That tends to be the case with new signings. Let’s hope he comes on and plays a blunder.

• A blinder would be even better!

• @micra said:
    That tends to be the case with new signings. Let’s hope he comes on and plays a blunder.

Lol'd

• JP Pittmam came on for us at the Stade de 3 sides and played a hell of a blunder a few years back.

• JPP came back looking like he’d spent the Summer working at Harry Ramsdens. I’ve never seen a larger derrière in the Cambridge Blue shorts.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Nick only makes the bench at Orient.

Maybe he can stay on the bench and they can lose a few games without creating many chances, while the fans tell each other he has not shown enough.

• @Shev said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Maybe he can stay on the bench and they can lose a few games without creating many chances, while the fans tell each other he has not shown enough.

Nick has come on after 63 mins but his side are down to 10 men with Happe sent off.

• I was about to say it worked! Then I saw the bloke sent off a minute later.

• JPP literally couldn't move that day

I've never seen anything like it on a professional football field

• @AlanCecil said:

@Shev said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Nick has come on after 63 mins but his side are down to 10 men with Happe sent off.

Is the player sent off a dwarf?

• @mooneyman said:

@AlanCecil said:

@Shev said:

@perfidious_albion said:

Is the player sent off a dwarf?

You are lucky if you have missed Jeff Stelling's comments on that red card (2nd yellow)