Skip to content

QPR game off

Comments

• Isn't it depressing to think that after the eight Championship matches of last month, in January we're only going to play a maximum of two?

• Can you imagine Mr Swann's reaction if we not only survive this covid ridden season but also reach the Cup final having beaten a series of Premier league third teams.

• He’d not be happy. ?

• @aloysius said:
    Isn't it depressing to think that after the eight Championship matches of last month, in January we're only going to play a maximum of two?

Probably more depressing to think the busy schedule, travelling, training and playing has given an increased risk of Covid infection that has bought this horrible illness in to some players family homes. Hope everyone is ok.

• Suspended/Postponed.
    I'm sure the wording "suspended" is used because that's the term in the EFL rule book. The actions of WWFC - it's our players who are having to self isolate - have caused the fixture to be suspended and the circumstance will be investigated.
    Matches are postponed if the circumstance is beyond the control of either club - e.g. weather - or because either club is involved in another match which takes precedent - e.g. FA cup.

• Ah, so Peterborough and Sunderland see their promotions as being 'suspended', when in reality they were 'postponed'.

• edited January 2021

Let's hope there's nothing untoward found in this "Investigation" then.
    Imagine getting docked points this season or at least the game being awarded to QPR and we miss playing one of the weaker outfits.

• I think ‘suspended’ reflects the possibility that the match may not be played at a later date whereas ‘postponed’ implies that it will be.

• My account is showing me that I have i-follow access to the FA Cup game against Spurs, so clealry it has been rolled forward but didnt realise home FA Cup games were on i-follow

• @Twizz said:
    The actions of WWFC - it's our players who are having to self isolate - have caused the fixture to be suspended and the circumstance will be investigated.

Given the speed at which the EFL normally investigate things i'll look for the verdict around 2025.

• Perhaps I should have been clearer (although I actually believe it's all semantics).

I think the EFL have to be very careful how things are worded. If their rule book states, for example, that fixtures which are suspended can be investigated and actions taken against the club causing the suspension - then they can't say the fixture is postponed. If they did then they wouldn't be able to investigate and take action if it was warranted.
    Any legal type would drive a railroad through a sanction that was applied if the EFL didn't follow their own rule book.
    I don't for a moment think the EFL will be able to investigate in depth the circumstances surrounding all the fixture suspensions, nor do I think sanctions will be applied.

It's interesting to note that in the BBC report they specifically say "Wycombe have not stated how many positive results were recorded or how many players or staff are affected".
    Nice to see that we are at least consistent with our lack of detail.

• Love that last bit, @Twizz - somewhere there is a thread on a forum for EFL lawyers, complaining that they have a right to know who tested positive, and to receive constant updates on when they will be back.

• @floyd said:

@Twizz said:
    The actions of WWFC - it's our players who are having to self isolate - have caused the fixture to be suspended and the circumstance will be investigated.

Given the speed at which the EFL normally investigate things i'll look for the verdict around 2025.

It’s a simple equation speed of EFL reports are based on bank balances or fear of bigger lawyer. For example Bury = very quick, Derby = very slow

• Correction for @micra and others who like me had paid for IFollow coverage for the QPR game - the club last night stated "Any fans who bought an iFollow match pass for tomorrow's game at #QPR will retain access for the rearranged game without having to take any action."

• Thanks @AlanCecil. So presumably @Erroll_Sims’ discovery that he has access to the FA Cup game means that home Cup games are being treated in the same way as League games?

• Yes, just looked and it's certainly indicating that it's on iFollow and I will be able to purchase tickets. The FAPlayer, on the other hand is showing nothing (that I can find). I have BT Sport anyway.

• The other interesting thing was confirmation that if a saturday game is moved to tuesday you don't get it free as a season ticket holder.

A shame but makes sense.

• @Malone said:
    The other interesting thing was confirmation that if a saturday game is moved to tuesday you don't get it free as a season ticket holder.

A shame but makes sense.

I'm not sure I've followed the free iFollow rule if I'm honest. What games are you saying aren't free anymore? I assume all home league games are free?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:
    The other interesting thing was confirmation that if a saturday game is moved to tuesday you don't get it free as a season ticket holder.

A shame but makes sense.

I'm not sure I've followed the free iFollow rule if I'm honest. What games are you saying aren't free anymore? I assume all home league games are free?

With a season ticket, all home league games are free.
    Saturday aways you have to pay for, but midweek aways are free - which was quite a nice surprise. As why would away games be free - we haven't paid for them in our season ticket after all.

But anyway - it turns out that where an away game was scheduled to be on the saturday (payable), and is then postponed - you still have to pay for it despite it being rescheduled to a midweek.

• Akinfenwa has just posted on his Instagram showing himself out and about in a taxi. He posted a video clip last Thursday when he was testing himself at the training ground. Not sure exactly on the rules these days but if a section of the squad only have to isolate for four days then maybe some will be back in training today or very shortly.

• I remember Thursday’s video showed a very sparsely attended training session. Bayo’s regime doesn’t seem to have been affected at all.

• Bayo's movements don't seem to have been affected that much during any of the restrictions.

I'm guessing he'll still be off to the SuperBowl in a couple of weeks.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Bayo's movements don't seem to have been affected that much during any of the restrictions.

with the border all but closed? Despite Trump's daft idea yesterday

• Not sure how to share tweets on here but journalist Jonathan Veal posted this a short while ago:

‘Still no concerns from Wycombe over the FA Cup game with Spurs following a coronavirus outbreak. Players are due out of isolation at the back end of this week and will be tested again on their first day back at the training ground. #THFC #COYS’

• I'm not sure testing players again on their return to the training field will be very helpful. There will be a lot of positive tests - the virus lingers in the system long past when it's transmissible or symptomatic. There could be a lot of players who've had it, recovered and are now safe to play who still test positive. Would they then be sent home again?

Indeed, I've been wondering whether it might have been the case that our coronavirus outbreak happened long before last week... I think I'm right that it was picked up the day the testing regime was introduced to the Championship (please correct me if I'm wrong). The only player we know who's had it previously is Ikpeazu but it's conceivable many others have as well but have all been asymptomatic.

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Bayo's movements don't seem to have been affected that much during any of the restrictions.

with the border all but closed? Despite Trump's daft idea yesterday

He'll travel under a journalist pass I think. Lots of UK journalists in the US at the moment for the Inauguration. Just up to the club to decide if they can cope with the isolation on his return but has the rule come in yet where you can get tested after 5 days?

• I wonder if you @aloysius are confusing this self isolation period for Wycombe with lots of players actually having Covid. It could be most don't have it but are deemed close contacts.

• Well the club are still trailing sponsorship opportunities as of today so presumably are still expecting Monday's game to go ahead: https://wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/january/bid-for-matchball-sponsorship-for-spurs-game/?fbclid=IwAR1YKly6Fw-lqzlq_dRsUtmtgaYmJLPZl4Heh2I4L8Iuf8UDwXWwEoAlfCs

• JJ and Mrs JJ are doing an interview for Radio One's newsbeat, so he can't be feeling too poorly.

• Hope the sanitising fluid d