Skip to content

Comments

• surely he is so much better than that level

• It’s his chance to demonstrate that. And it’s not entirely unlikely that we’ll be playing them next season.

• @Wanderers82 said:
    surely he is so much better than that level

That’s what he’s going there to prove.

• I am very pleased for Nick. Hopefully he gets some mush needed game time, excels and comes back in time to celebrate survival and the Cup Final appearance.

• excellent. Hope he does well there.

• Good luck to Nick, he's a good player and should thrive at Orient. I think he's capable of performing at our Championship level but he was unlikely to be a starter.

• Presume this is purely with the idea of bringing someone else in who they feel will play more second half of the season.

• Good move for the lower league Zidane. Having seen Mehmeti come through who looks technically as good but slightly hungrier - this gives Nick a chance to shine. From what I’ve seen he has all the skill but appears to lack the pace and power to alter championship level games.

• Have to say I’m disappointed at that.

I thought his recent performances of the bench at Preston and Bournemouth and as an emergency holding midfielder against QPR showed he was probably our most comfortable player in possession and offered us something we’d lacked in recent games (e.g. Barnsley).

• I really like Nick...always pleased to see him play...he never looked out of place but we never got the performances that really shone enough to guarantee selection. I'm sure more Gasroomers will have a list of the games and events that prove me wrong...but that was always my feeling. I was willing him to finally make his mark...but it never quite happened.

• Very disappointed, but GA knows best. I hope we are bringing in some serious creative midfield talent to replace him. I'll be pulling for Leyton Orient in L2, and hoping Nick gets a proper run in the side.

• I'm not saying he's as good BUT Eze was loaned to us in League 2, excelled and then went back to QPR's first team. Hopefully we'll see him shine whilst on loan and can come back a better player

• @Shev I know you are across the pond but ’pulling for Leyton Orient’ sounds very Pete Couhig to the Bucks ear! Over here in Merry Olde England ‘pulling’ was reserved for getting with a girl at Tuesdays nightclub over the bus station in the Octagon circa 1976 , not sure it’s used at all now in contemporary youff speak.
    ‘Cheering for’, ‘rooting for’ more in the vernacular but again even these sound quaint. What do the kids say behind the goal these days?

• ‘Rooting for’ someone or something used to be fairly commonplace.

• Really quite annoyed by this and very much hope this move has been done to free space for incoming signings. Freeman is a considerably better midfield option than Pattison and will, to my mind, be comfortably the best player in Orient's squad.

• @FmG said:
    I'm not saying he's as good BUT Eze was loaned to us in League 2, excelled and then went back to QPR's first team. Hopefully we'll see him shine whilst on loan and can come back a better player

For all my admiration for Nick, he is never going to hold a candle to Eze. He (Eze) has not reached his full potential yet and it must be difficult for him to perform to his maximum in a Palace side that has been so inconsistent. He could well make it to one of the Big Six in due course.

• I'm with @Brownie and @TheatreOfChairs. But at least it gives me yet another opportunity to post this gif.

Good luck Nick, I hope this kickstarts a dazzling second half to your career, wherever it ends up being.

• Bit of a shame, but it makes sense. I do enjoy watching Freeman play, but he's frequently been very good coming off the bench, but then disappointed when in the starting XI. That said, I thought he'd played well recently against Bournemouth and QPR. I do hope if he does well at Orient, that he'll be coming back to us, rather than released or sold, as he's clearly a player with a great deal of talent and potential.

I certainly wish him all the best at Orient, it would be great to see him make a real impact and get regular games

• Epitomises his quality, that clip. And hear hear to the good wishes.

• Totally agree with @Brownie . Cannot understand how Freeman goes and Pattinson stays. Freeman is a much better option. Hopefully with Parker and Freeman gone, we will be able to replace with quality loanees or permanent signings.

• Chalk and Cheese @davecz. Alex Pattison is very much in the Ainsworth mould; Nick Freeman isn’t.

• Agree there @micra Pattison probably only has to wrestle Adeniran and Thompson for a start...we've got Mehmeti, Horgan, McLeary, Fred and possibly Wheeler in front of Nick...unless I'm missing something. I expected NF to be one of our Cup game players, but it's good he s gone off to get regular footy.

• Freeman has more experience than Pattison and I'm sure would have had much more interest. That said, personally I think Pattison has plenty of potential. Prior to the sending off at Bournemouth, he was having a very good game against players worth millions. Would be foolish to write off a young player, just because of a couple of mistakes. Mehmeti had a poor 1st half against Boro the other week, but I would certainly hope he gets further chances.

• @micra said:
    Chalk and Cheese @davecz. Alex Pattison is very much in the Ainsworth mould; Nick Freeman isn’t.

Pattinson hardworking. Freeman creative. We have hardworking midfielders, not enough creativity. I know which one I’d keep.

• I'm a big fan of Nick Freeman and I too am a little disappointed to see that deal made.... However he is a young lad and has plenty of time yet to make an impact for us. His natural ability on the ball will terrify most league two defences as he runs at them with the ball stuck to his feet. I back him to tear it up at orient and make a real name for himself there. He might even be able to add some more goals to his game and allow his confidence to grow. This could be the making of him. Wish him all the luck in the world.

• With Freeman, I just think there are two many midfielders that Ainsworth would choose ahead of him at the moment. However, Leyton Orient are seventh and are only 3 points of Newport County who are first. Hopefully Nick can play is his part in their promotion race and prove his point. I think he'll excel in League Two.

I think Pattison will probably be loaned out or possibly even sold now. His contract expires at the end of this season, probably isn't going to break into the side and will be looking for game time. We may look to cash in on him?

• Matt Spring, Stephen McGinn, Sam Saunders, Nick Freeman.

Throughout his time managing us Gareth has a habit of leaving ball-playing central midfielders who can pick a pass but don't necessarily have the tenacity and physicality of a Bloomfield/Scowen/O'Nien/Pattison either to wither on the bench or out of the squad altogether, until they give up and go elsewhere.

In my opinion it's one of the most frustrating things about Gareth's time here. I would certainly think twice if I were a player in that mould with an offer to sign for the club.

• @aloysius said:
    Matt Spring, Stephen McGinn, Sam Saunders, Nick Freeman.

Throughout his time managing us Gareth has a habit of leaving ball-playing central midfielders who can pick a pass but don't necessarily have the tenacity and physicality of a Bloomfield/Scowen/O'Nien/Pattison either to wither on the bench or out of the squad altogether, until they give up and go elsewhere.

In my opinion it's one of the most frustrating things about Gareth's time here. I would certainly think twice if I were a player in that mould with an offer to sign for the club.

Are you genuinely frustrated by who's made regular contributions in our midfield under Ainsworth. Gape and Thompson are quality players and Scowen and O'Nien are more than just athletes. Bloomfield is a club legend.

Comparing Pattison and Freeman doesn't work. Neither has played much and whilst Freeman has come from non league Pattison was signed from Middlesbrough.

• Having three tenacious midfielders who did not create much with their passing worked fine in L1 and L2, but my frustration is that this season has shown how difficult it is to survive in the Championship without someone to put their foot on the ball and play a clever forward pass.

The Barnsley game was the nadir for me - I was practically shouting at the screen for us to bring on Freeman or Mehmeti, but we stuck with a style of play that was blatantly failing. That being said, we have been "in" so many games through keeping it tight, I can at least understand the idea of focusing on tenacity over creativity. To me it is a question of balancing the two correctly.

My disappointment stems from seeing Freeman (to me) justify his inclusion by playing well in his recent outings, and proving that we do need that creative spark and composure in the middle. We can still have a couple of pitbulls in midfield, but balanced against someone who can carry it forward and pick a positive pass.

The debate over Freeman can be a little chicken and egg - to some, he does not get a run of games because he has not shown enough, whereas to others (including myself), he has not shown enough because he does not get a run of games. Most of us seem to generally fall on one side of that argument or the other.

Perhaps between Mehmeti, Admiral and other additions, we will have enough anyway. I just hope Freeman gets a chance to fulfill his potential with us rather than someone else.