Skip to content

I’ll tell you what grinds my gears

Comments

• “More or less” tends to work fine in its common usage given that less refers to a single quantity or entity. There is less sand on this beach than that one; there are fewer grains of sand on it. “More or less” usage tends not to offend that rule.

• When English players and managers describe being in a ‘difficult moment’! No, it’s a period of time where you haven’t scored for 6 matches or something it’s not a moment! This started with foreign managers and players in interviews about 10 years ago which I’ve never had a problem with as it’s translation etc, and I also massively admire those that speak more than one language! But it’s become so commonplace now, ggrrr

• Similarly, but even worse..."Sorry, it's that time of the month."

• If we are doing English police then -
    Fairly unique
    Almost unique

Agghhh

• er indoors has the most random saying which has me spitting feathers every time I hear it:- "I'll tell you this far". What the heck does that mean?

• If there are only two of something in existence, what would be wrong with saying they are almost unique?

• "quite random" is a fairly idiotic thing to say

• Quiz show hosts who respond with " Great guess, but it's wrong I'm afraid".
    How can it be a great guess then.... ??

• Chocolate bars shrinking but the price stays the same, oh and the same with bags of crisps.

• @HomerLone said:
    Quiz show hosts who respond with " Great guess, but it's wrong I'm afraid".
    How can it be a great guess then.... ??

I think that one's fair enough. For example in answer to "who scored Wycombe's first goal in the 1993 FA Trophy final?" Steve Thompson is a better guess than John Barnes

• @username123 said:

When English players and managers describe being in a ‘difficult moment’! No, it’s a period of time where you haven’t scored for 6 matches or something it’s not a moment! This started with foreign managers and players in interviews about 10 years ago which I’ve never had a problem with as it’s translation etc, and I also massively admire those that speak more than one language! But it’s become so commonplace now, ggrrr

On a similar note - describing teams being 'in the middle of an eight game unbeaten run' or similar - unless you're speaking after the fourth game and can predict the future, it doesn't even make sense.

• Surely the rich tapistry of our language that has bought so much great writing, theatre and comedy is chocked full of famous phrases that mean so much but don't bear scrutiny when you unpick the words.

It's fun to note and chat about but to get annoyed by them or describe them as fairly idiotic is going over the top.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said

It's fun to note and chat about but to get annoyed by them or describe them as fairly idiotic is going over the top.

Relax - it’s just an internet message board.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Surely the rich tapistry of our language that has bought so much great writing, theatre and comedy is chocked full of famous phrases that mean so much but don't bear scrutiny when you unpick the words.

Tapistry. A history of plumbing in the south-east of England.

• People using "super" as though it means the same as very

Eg I'm "super excited" about the Spurs game next week

Awful stuff

• @HCblue said:

@woodlands said:
    @MindlessDrugHoover agree and also 'of' instead of 'have' . 'He could of (have).....'

Ooh, that one really gets me. I can live with evolution of language - that's the way of such things. But this one is just bad. "He could of.." just has no sensible meaning and is clearly born from "could've"/"should've",etc. which are perfectly fine in themselves. But a person who thinks that someone saying those is actually saying "could of"/"should of" needs to be corrected in their understanding for their sake, not indulged by mute toleration!

Similar in nature (though different) is the Americanised "I could care less" to mean the exact opposite. David Mitchell made a very good video on the subject.

We've finally found some exact common ground that isn't football related!

• edited January 2021

Chap at work repeatedly says PACIFICALLY.

Every single time it sends a little shudder through. But clearly not in my best interests to point it out!

• I used to have a boss who pronounced "specifically" as "pacifically". I pointed it out every single time he did it.

• It's even worse with this guy as he really stresses the P sound!

• @drcongo said:

@HCblue said:

@woodlands said:
    @MindlessDrugHoover agree and also 'of' instead of 'have' . 'He could of (have).....'

Ooh, that one really gets me. I can live with evolution of language - that's the way of such things. But this one is just bad. "He could of.." just has no sensible meaning and is clearly born from "could've"/"should've",etc. which are perfectly fine in themselves. But a person who thinks that someone saying those is actually saying "could of"/"should of" needs to be corrected in their understanding for their sake, not indulged by mute toleration!

Similar in nature (though different) is the Americanised "I could care less" to mean the exact opposite. David Mitchell made a very good video on the subject.

We've finally found some exact common ground that isn't football related!

Huzzah!

• ‘Used to’ obviously the key words there @drcongo. But I’m certain you were joking and I was going to start a “you didn’t, I did, you didn’t, I did” kind of exchange.

• Victoria Wood, wasn’t it?

• @drcongo said:
    I used to have a boss who pronounced "specifically" as "pacifically". I pointed it out every single time he did it.

Assume you've seen the Mitchell and Webb sketch

• @HCblue said:
    “More or less” tends to work fine in its common usage given that less refers to a single quantity or entity. There is less sand on this beach than that one; there are fewer grains of sand on it. “More or less” usage tends not to offend that rule.

Which is a very good way of explaining why ‘amount’ of people, cases, patients, players etc (rather than ‘number’) can grate. But then I’m an old fuddy duddy who has felt throughout the pandemic that ‘cases are still rising’ should be preceded by ‘the number of’. But strictly, that should be ‘the number of cases is still rising’. That’s correct, isn’t it @HCblue ?

• edited January 2021

For me, over-qualifying a statistic to make it sound more historical than it is. It is a very American quirk, but I have seen it creep in to commentary over there too.

"With that touchdown, Bob Collins becomes just the fourth left-handed player in history with Albanian heritage to score a touchdown on a Thursday which also happens to be his birthday."

Similarly, I dislike the use of "streaks" which are irrelevant to the current set of players unless truly remarkable (such as Spurs long inability to win at Stamford Bridge, etc.):

"Bolton will be buoyed by the fact they have won the last three meetings between these sides, though the last such fixture was back in 1958."

• 'He has to make the goalkeeper work there...'

• I have a colleague who relentlessly refers to St Pancras as Pancreas. Not even St Pancreas, just Pancreas.

And she says it with an upward inflection as if it's a question.

It's even worse than saying 'holibobs' instead of holiday. Thankfully, that other online horror 'nom nom' when seeing a picture of some food seems to be on the wane. Although the dire 'drinkie-poos', accompanied by talk of 'a cheeky one', is still rife.

• Personally I really like these quirks of language. It makes life so much easier. For example if ever I am unfortunate to meet anyone who ever uses “drinkie poos” in conversation I immediately know that I will never have to waste time having any social inaction with them ever.

• @bookertease Slightly off topic, many years ago a friend called me to say, 'Come down the pub. I'm there with my mate Groovy'.

Instantly, I knew I must stay at home.

• @arnos_grove said:
    @bookertease Slightly off topic, many years ago a friend called me to say, 'Come down the pub. I'm there with my mate Groovy'.

Instantly, I knew I must stay at home.

That reminds me of a time I was sat in a pub with a colleague / mate at lunch time, and he suddenly leapt up, pointed out the window, said “That fucker owes me ten grand” and legged it out the door. When he came back and told me the full story, it turned out that he’d leant £10k to this bloke about two years prior and didn’t even know the bloke’s name or phone number. “I’ve always known him just as Dodgy, that’s what everyone calls him.”