Skip to content

QPR game off

Covid cases amongst our players. Oh dear.

Comments

• 11 days away with self isolation periods of 10 days. Does this put Spurs at risk too?

• Sweeping around now isn't it. Next two league games off then.

• Bums. Was looking forward to that. Hope everyone's OK, of course.

• Middlesbrough had a lot of positive tests the Monday after we played them, so it was maybe inevitable.

You'd have to worry about Preston now being affected as well.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-decimated-positive-covid-19-19579501

Just hope everyone gets better soon.

• And AP being the vaccine centre.

• Oh yeah of course, that's not good at all

• Best wishes to everyone affected.

• Inevitable that it would catch us in the end. I’m sure the Spurs game will be postponed too. Best wishes to all.

• Indeed. Inevitable but I had my fingers crossed we were coming to the end of it all. Hope it is all just a case of positive tests and not actual illness. Best wishes to all involved.

• edited January 2021

@floyd Didn't I read that the approach to the FA Cup this season was simply that if you couldn't play, you were out?

• @our_frank said:
    @floyd Didn't I read that the approach to the FA Cup this season was simply that if you couldn't play, you were out?

That happened in the earlier rounds, but Southampton v Shrewsbury was re-arranged.

• @our_frank said:

Shrewsbury were allowed to re-arrange, maybe because they literally couldn't field 11 players.

• I'm not sure it will be postponed anyway, assuming everyone has been isolating since yesterday. It would represent the worst possible preparation for us, but Monday 25th would be the first day after the isolation period ends. Also, Jose has proven quite influential in this debate recently, and he will flip his lid if another of his side's games is postponed.

• @LX1 said:

@our_frank said:

Shrewsbury were allowed to re-arrange, maybe because they literally couldn't field 11 players.

You’d hope that the critical mass of ill players is the same for the EFL and FA Cup, altho looking for consistency is perhaps a waste of time. . And Jose might prefer it, given they play Liverpool three days later.

• With Spurs heavy schedule in Europe coming up, I expect Jose will argue it's not practical to postpone the game and he will get a walkover.

• Just an aside. Why are these games described as suspended rather than postponed?

• Its very odd that Shrewsbury were allowed to continue in the FA Cup given that it goes directly against the rules 11d of the competition. Notts County and other non league clubs were forced to pull out in seemingly similar circumstances.

Having set the precedent, hard to see how they couldnt do the same for us if we are unable to fulfill the fixture.

• We don't know how many of the squad tested positive - it could be that we could still field a team of 11 with a few subs once you factor in our B team players. A perfect chance for one or two to step up and create an Essendohesque status for themselves. Much better that way then simply forfeiting the match (not sure a postponement will be possible given Tottenham's midweek European commitments...)

• Spurs might just put the u18s out the same as Derby did... wouldnt bother me, more prize money, then Everton that would probably get on TV as well

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Just an aside. Why are these games described as suspended rather than postponed?

Possibly so that results can be awarded at a future date is the fixtures can’t be completed?

• We don't know how many players are affected. We don't know how far into the covid cycle any of the players are either.

The game is 10 days time so presumably there will be a fresh set of retests midweek or end of week and if we have 14-15 players there's no reason it won't go ahead.

• What happens to the i-follow pass I purchased for the game?

Do I get a refund or does it just roll forward for the next game broadcast?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Spurs might just put the u18s out the same as Derby did... wouldnt bother me, more prize money, then Everton that would probably get on TV as well

Derby had to due to coronavirus in their camp

• I paid my tenner on Wednesday @Erroll_Sims . Assume the credit will roll over to the next away game.

• @micra @Erroll_Sims you mean you don't just pay up half an hour before kick-off and then spend twenty minutes panicking because nothing is coming up?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @micra @Erroll_Sims you mean you don't just pay up half an hour before kick-off and then spend twenty minutes panicking because nothing is coming up?

Dead right. I wasn't aware this planning ahead was actually a thing. I'm still surprised when I don't need to pay for home games when I am looking for my credit card at 2.58pm

• I’m sure I read that if you can field a squad of 14 in the FA Cup, the fixture had to go ahead.

Happy to be corrected though.

• Is there a different ruling for the league opposed to fa cup then

• @micra said:
    I paid my tenner on Wednesday @Erroll_Sims . Assume the credit will roll over to the next away game.

At the moment my iFollow account is showing I already have access to the Brentford away game on Jan 30th so maybe my £10 paid yesterday for QPR is being rolled over.