Skip to content

I’ll tell you what grinds my gears

Comments

• @DevC said:
    Is it possible that the Beavon issue was in part down to the inexperience of the Trust Chairman at the time who had only just taken over with no knowledge of the way football worked?

Did you remember to remove the pin?

• DevC relentless attack on Don Woodward, despite Devsy never ever attending a Trust meeting or AGM.

• All the @DevC Greatest Hits will be out this Friday. Good of him to release a couple early to wet our appetite.

• Wet as in dampen @Right_in_the_Middle ? I’m gunning for ya today, mate. Very ungracious in view of the kind things you said about me in the past.

• @ChasHarps said:
    DevC relentless attack on Don Woodward, despite Devsy never ever attending a Trust meeting or AGM.

Or match

• @DevC said:
    Is it possible that the Beavon issue was in part down to the inexperience of the Trust Chairman at the time who had only just taken over with no knowledge of the way football worked?

Sigh

• @micra said:
    Wet as in dampen @Right_in_the_Middle ? I’m gunning for ya today, mate. Very ungracious in view of the kind things you said about me in the past.

Oh well. I'll have to cope I suppose. Hope you enjoy your very gracious gunning. At least one of us will feel better.

• As my late brother used to say, you’ve gotta have a laugh and a giggle. Mustn’t take yourself too seriously. True. Isn’t it?

• I'll tell you what grind's my gear's - apostrophe's when a word end's in 's'.

Had a mate who would always refer to Terry Evan's.

• @arnos_grove said:
    I'll tell you what grind's my gear's - apostrophe's when a word end's in 's'.

Was that his dumbassery or his phone autocorrecting?

• If we can get away from football, I am sick of this "how did we do?" survey culture. Not sure if it is the same in UK, but I can barely do anything without being solicited to take a short survey to tell a company how they did. It comes across as needy and insecure.

'Our records indicate that you just bought a chocolate bar from one of our stores. Would you be willing to take a short survey to tell us how we did?'

'Thank you for taking the survey. Would you be willing to take another survey to tell us how you feel about the first survey?'

• One for me is probably now I'm closing in on joining the "old bastads club" that seemingly every comedy show has to rely on swears or crude humour to get their laughs.

• @Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Not sure that his phone would be capable of doing anything other than dial another phone back in Terry Evans day

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Not sure that his phone would be capable of doing anything other than dial another phone back in Terry Evans day

Good point.

• @arnos_grove said:

It’s 1980s not 1980’s...grrr

• @bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Evans's!

• @HCblue said:

@bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Evans's!

Evans'!

• edited January 2021

@drcongo said:

@HCblue said:

@bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Evans's!

Evans'!

I think this is becoming something of a style point these days. Traditionally, and I am older than you so this is how I learnt it, one did not need the "s" after the possessive apostrophe if it followed a plural ending in "s" (but still used one if a plural did not so end) - eg. The trees' leaves had largely fallen off; The sheep's coats were shorn by the farmer. However, you would write the "s" for a noun that merely ended in "s" as in Evans's.

In recent years, I have noticed, as you assert, that the "s" in those latter circumstances has started to be omitted by some. Naturally, I take this to be a sign of the end of times. We can both agree, I think, that an apostrophe is necessary, at least!

• Using loose instead of lose should be a capital offence. It's almost at pandemic level across the internet.

• edited January 2021

@HCblue said:

@drcongo said:

@HCblue said:

@bookertease said:

@Malone said:

@arnos_grove said:

Evans's!

Evans'!

I think this is becoming something of a style point these days. Traditionally, and I am older than you so this is how I learnt it, one did not need the "s" after the possessive apostrophe if it followed a plural ending in "s" (but still used one if a plural did not so end) - eg. The trees' leaves had largely fallen off; The sheep's coats were shorn by the farmer. However, you would write the "s" for a noun that merely ended in "s" as in Evans's.

In recent years, I have noticed, as you assert, that the "s" in those latter circumstances has started to be omitted by some. Naturally, I take this to be a sign of the end of times. We can both agree, I think, that an apostrophe is necessary, at least!

I went through a spell of dropping the "s" after the apostrophe in such scenarios, until I was told in no uncertain terms that it was incorrect. It has now returned.

@Forest_Blue said:

@arnos_grove said:

It’s 1980s not 1980’s...grrr

I agree with you, that's how I write it. But I understand both are acceptable, gramatically speaking. Clearly it should be '80s as opposed to 80's though.

• @MindlessDrugHoover agree and also 'of' instead of 'have' . 'He could of (have).....'

• edited January 2021

Going back to football - top club talent hoarding. Prime example - prior to a transfer today - could you name Chelsea's longest serving adult player?

The answer is a guy called .................. Lucas Piazon. He was there for ten years -aged 16-26 (well was on loan for most) making a grand total of three appearances in that time - missing a penalty in one.

Madness.

• edited January 2021

@woodlands said:
    @MindlessDrugHoover agree and also 'of' instead of 'have' . 'He could of (have).....'

Ooh, that one really gets me. I can live with evolution of language - that's the way of such things. But this one is just bad. "He could of.." just has no sensible meaning and is clearly born from "could've"/"should've",etc. which are perfectly fine in themselves. But a person who thinks that someone saying those is actually saying "could of"/"should of" needs to be corrected in their understanding for their sake, not indulged by mute toleration!

Similar in nature (though different) is the Americanised "I could care less" to mean the exact opposite. David Mitchell made a very good video on the subject.

• @DevC said:
    Going back to football - top club talent hoarding. Prime example - prior to a transfer today - could you name Chelsea's longest serving adult player?

The answer is a guy called .................. Lucas Piazon. He was there for ten years -aged 16-26 (well was on loan for most) making a grand total of three appearances in that time - missing a penalty in one.

Madness.

To be fair, his penalty miss wasn't critical as Chelsea beat Villa 8-0.

• The word ‘fewer’ seems to have been removed from the English language.

• The confusion of 'apart,' and 'a part,' is nearly as bad as could of instead of could have.

• Floyd, how do you feel when Americans say "I could care less"?

Means literally the opposite of what they are trying to convey

• As with most American English I have moved thru the stages of grief and found myself at acceptance.

• Ha! ‘Thru’