Skip to content

Maybe Steve Hayes wasn't that bad...

I've literally only just become aware of this given the lovely stock photo of Hillsborough used in this article:

https://wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2021/january/hillsborough-trip-postponed/

But I didn't realise that their chairman has plastered his surname all over their seats. Even the PNLs don't have to contend with that....

Comments

• There is certainly an argument to be made, that IF ministers decide professional football should continue through the next few months because it is beneficial for the general mental health of the nation* THEN perhaps squads should be given vaccines. These short-notice cancellations do cause problems for all concerned.

*not those who support teams in relegation scraps, perhaps...

• Vaccinating the players and then donating the cost of the frequent testing into the NHS pot would then not be a bad shout as per Dyche's suggestion.

• I think its a hideous idea thought up by people totally absorbed in their own importance.
    Why are footballers more worthy than anyone else? Typical they take the financial cost as the argument as that is all that interests them.

Do I think it will happen? Yes I do, especially if Marcus Rashford says it should.

• Sorry, but if highly paid, young healthy footballers are bumped up the list of people to be vaccinated that is completely wrong.

One of the few things I think we have got right is the assertion early on that the vaccines will go to those in need not to those who can afford to jump the queue.

• I’ve gotta say hear hear to that @bookertease.

• edited January 2021

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I think its a hideous idea thought up by people totally absorbed in their own importance.
    Why are footballers more worthy than anyone else? Typical they take the financial cost as the argument as that is all that interests them.

Do I think it will happen? Yes I do, especially if Marcus Rashford says it should.

I know you have mentioned a fair few times about how you're hating this form of football, but for millions of people football continuing is the one thing keeping them above water mentally.

• @PBo said:
    I've literally only just become aware of this given the lovely stock photo of Hillsborough used in this article:

But I didn't realise that their chairman has plastered his surname all over their seats. Even the PNLs don't have to contend with that....

At least if it had happened in our case, we could have pretended it was a tribute to Paul Hayes!

• Football (and other pro sport) keeps the public entertained and or distracted. No Government would give that up lightly in a time of crisis.

• @PBo said:

Earlier today I was thinking about how few years ago it was that we were looking like we'd either go bust or be the poor relations in some Wasps/property vanity project. With the very basic question of how do we actually make any money if we don't own our ground, don't make any money from the "sport's village" around the ground and in fact have to pay rent.

Now look at us. Championship. New owners. Wasps banished to mess with someone else's club.
    I suppose a stark reminder how quickly it can all change and to enjoy the now as much as we can!

• Great post @Malone .
    Going off air now - dinner to cook,

• Instant mash with onions and some spicy sausages @micra?

• @Malone said:

I think its a hideous idea thought up by people totally absorbed in their own importance.

I know you have mentioned a fair few times about how you're hating this form of football, but for millions of people football continuing is the one thing keeping them above water mentally.

I'm sure it is helping plenty of people even if I suspect your figure might be a bit high. Not sure why you are bringing it up on a vaccination comment but football in its current form isn't just not doing anything for me it's actually contributing to my current problematic mental state.
    Much like watching a gig or a theatre show on TV each watch reminds me of what I am missing, what de-stress's me, and what gives me joy and happiness. Quite frankly its depressing me as I didn't that watch much TV football before last March.
    I know none of this is your problem but I just wanted to speak up so you might understand from someone struggling.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Not sure what you've got against Marcus Ruashford. If all the high paid spoilt Premiership players and other so called celebrities had an ounce of his morality the country would be a better place. Just a shame he plays for United.

• edited January 2021

@Malone said:

I'm sure it is helping plenty of people even if I suspect your figure might be a bit high. Not sure why you are bringing it up on a vaccination comment but football in its current form isn't just not doing anything for me it's actually contributing to my current problematic mental state.
    Much like watching a gig or a theatre show on TV each watch reminds me of what I am missing, what de-stress's me, and what gives me joy and happiness. Quite frankly its depressing me as I didn't that watch much TV football before last March.
    I know none of this is your problem but I just wanted to speak up so you might understand from someone struggling.

I'm interested to hear your take and that's of course a very fair and personal view on it.
    I don't know for sure but I'd have thought a huge amount of fans (downgrade it from millions) use football to keep themselves on an even keel.

That's why it just came up as an interesting idea earlier on the thread about classing footballers as some sort of salvo for mental health and prioritising them for vaccines. And then the idea of them paying the testing fees into the NHS. Both just thoughts (and neither mine in fairness)

I'm probably very different to you in that I love having all the games available to watch. (without vpn shenanigans!) I rarely do aways, so having all of them suddenly available at a click of a button is the only tiny positive of all of this whole mess. I'll really miss those when it all goes back to normal - but maybe they'll use this virus as a final reason to show every game live.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Instant mash with onions and some spicy sausages @micra?

Beans on toast?

• @mooneyman said:

Not sure what you've got against Marcus Ruashford. If all the high paid spoilt Premiership players and other so called celebrities had an ounce of his morality the country would be a better place. Just a shame he plays for United.

Nothing against Rashford at all. Never said I did and can't see any reason why I would. My point is that his influence with the Governmenf seems high and if he decided to campaign for footballers to be vaccinated they'd probably go for it.

I like our current priority for vaccines but fear the Tory cronies will get it changed as soon as this current wave flattens a bit.

• I appreciate I am in the minority of football fans who don't really watch much TV football @Malone . I don't want to stop others enjoying it but it's just not the same without crowds and with competitive advantage changing as clubs go in and out of Covid problems. I hate not being at Wycombe games and meeting friends and family there. It's depressing just thinking about it.

I am interested to see what happens with the vaccinating footballers idea. It has financial merit but then so would vaccinating bus drivers, bin men, plumbers, shop workers or any other profession with large person to person contact who lose money self isolating. I don't see footballers above that but I do think it politically has a chance of happening. This would then open the gates for other interested parties to pay for vaccines.
    A new cash for questions scandal if you will.

I am looking forward to the Test Match starting in the morning. Maybe that will keep my head above water for now

• I wish you the best with that.

And of course the idea of high paid young footballers jumping the queue is horrible on one level. As is the sneaking suspicion that money will be changing hands to get preferential use of the vaccine imminently.

The 24 hour vaccination is an interesting development but I'm not sure I'd want my aged relatives having to make their way to some awkward medical centre at 2am at night.
    And where are the volunteers/staff coming from? Surely they're not talking about people doing some sort of mad 16-18 shifts.

I just hope the records they're working off and processes they're following are robust.

• The other argument for vaccinating footballers early would be their use as role models - showing us all that it's nothing to be rejected or feared. That could do some genuine good if it helps persuade others to get the jab.

I think it would have been a difficult sell even then if we were still reliant on the limited number of Pfizer doses circulating - but once we get to the stage where there are 2m AstraZeneca doses being made available a week, and 80,000 people staffing the vaccination points, and the top tier priority groups are all vaccinated, it wouldn't be too outrageous for professional athletes to then get an early jab.