Skip to content

I’ll tell you what grinds my gears

Comments

• They have to before watershed @MindlessDrugHoover Ofcom.

• He felt a touch, he’s entitled to go down.

That logic only appears to be proposed in the penalty box.

• I’ve just realised that the ‘Holloway’
    referred to once or twice on this thread is Aaron Amadi-Holloway. Apart from his singularly undemonstrative disposition (and the all too occasional flashes of brilliance) the thing I remember most about him was the sheer size of him and Gary Doherty as they walked towards me in the corridor outside the Executive Boxes. They were no doubt kindred spirits having both doubled as central defenders and strikers.

Of course I also remember that scintillating run (towards the end of the League 2 playoff final) from inside our half to the edge of the Southend penalty area and.........

• I remember Matt McClure not celebrating when he scored for Dagenham and I have a (perhaps suspect) recollection that he scored in front of terrace. Stats show that game as in August 2015 and that McClure scored in the 7th min and was sent off in 77th.
    I don't remember his reception being particularly appreciative.

• Without being harsh, people are doing well to remember how Holloway celebrated goals. They were collector's items!

• That's very well remembered @railwaysteve. I had forgotten he ever played for Dagenham & Redbridge, but now remember just how inevitable it felt that he'd score as soon as his name was on the teamsheet!

• Strange really, as I distinctly recall Scott Kashket celebrating his goal against Leyton Orient! ??

• @Last_Quarter said:
    Slight tangent, can anyone remember an ex player scoring against us and not celebrating recently? I genuinely can't remember any instances.

That's the impact of the drone army. 'I wanna knowwwwwwww, why you're such a c***'.

Charming stuff.

• @arnos_grove said:

@Last_Quarter said:
    Slight tangent, can anyone remember an ex player scoring against us and not celebrating recently? I genuinely can't remember any instances.

That's the impact of the drone army. 'I wanna knowwwwwwww, why you're such a c***'.

Charming stuff.

But but it's just "ban-tah"

• I remember the great Terry Glynn getting loads of abuse by the 'Big game only Berties' when he retuned with Chelmsford as they had a corner in that infamous FA Cup game in 1985/85.
    Embarrassed and disgusted in equal measures that these morons targeted such a great ex Wanderers striker.

• Michael Simpson getting a barrage of abuse was a particular low point in fairly recent memory.
    He'd been a great servant and it was totally down to Adams he was bombed out.

Not like he had pulled a Bell or a Beavon on us.

• @Malone what did Beavon do again?

• Scored 25 goals in a season and was a joy to watch.

• @peterparrotface said:
    @Malone what did Beavon do again?

Refused to play in a cup match at Watford to force through a move. Pretending to be ill in the process.

• It was an unfortunate end to a superb 18months or so.

• @Chris said:
    Scored 25 goals in a season and was a joy to watch.

Probably had the best first touch of any Wycombe player I have seen. Silky

• Garner and Currie had the best touches in my time watching Wycombe but Beavon isn’t far behind.

• Sad that he and McLeish ended their time with us under a cloud.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Sad that he and McLeish ended their time with us under a cloud.

McGleish was was encouraging players to leave the club. Totally different set of circumstances.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

McGleish was was encouraging players to leave the club. Totally different set of circumstances.

Not heard that one, can you elaborate?

• Paul Lambert left in a huff and McGleish boasted to the local press that he'd been advising young players not to sign new contracts

• I want to say he was overheard doing just that at the end of a friendly the following pre-season as well. I don't think he was the only one.

• I'm not one to have too many ex player grudges and most fade pretty quickly.
    I still loath Scott McGleish though.

So grateful we have a management now where his poison would never get in the door.

• @floyd said:

@Wendoverman said:

For clarity, I did not say it was the same set of circumstances...I said it was a shame, in my opinion, that both players who scored freely for us left under a cloud.

• @Vincey said:

@peterparrotface said:
    @Malone what did Beavon do again?

Refused to play in a cup match at Watford to force through a move. Pretending to be ill in the process.

How did that get to be known? Did the club come out and say it?

• Was a picture of him signing for Coventry that very night. Forgot where it appeared though?

• He joined Preston from us didn't he?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Was a picture of him signing for Coventry that very night. Forgot where it appeared though?

Wasn't it PNE? I think a local journalist tweeted it.

• Memory fading faster than a 100 metre Bolt dash! Really can't remember.

• Is it possible that the Beavon issue was in part down to the inexperience of the Trust Chairman at the time who had only just taken over with no knowledge of the way football worked?