22 QPR
23 Birmingham
24 Rotherham

Go!.......

Comments

• 22 Preston
    23 Birmingham
    24 Rotherham

• Personally I would like to see QPR and Preston have decent second halves to the season and other clubs be the three to finish below us. Those two seem to me the biggest threats to come knocking on the door for our manager if they decide to dispose of theirs.

• Not beating us home or away might do for Warburton.

• @DevC said:
    Personally I would like to see QPR and Preston have decent second halves to the season and other clubs be the three to finish below us. Those two seem to me the biggest threats to come knocking on the door for our manager if they decide to dispose of theirs.

Interesting logic. The future of our manager over a possible relegation. Not sure I'd have ever thought of it in that way.
    You're not just trying to bring back one of your Greatest Hit posts are you?

• Warburton is a smashing bloke and good friends with Dobbo so I hope he survives, but it’s more important that we beat them on Saturday and reduce the gap to just three points.

• Can't see past these 3 if we aren't going to be in there

22 QPR
    23 Birmingham
    24 Rotherham

A little run of 3 wins in 5/6 by us could make quite a few teams worried :)

• To be honest at this stage I just don't want to think about it...I may return to this thread the week before the end of the season. So many clubs you think are too big to end up in League One...and yet they don't seem to be pulling away from us very easily.

• edited January 2021

@Wendoverman said:
    To be honest at this stage I just don't want to think about it...I may return to this thread the week before the end of the season. So many clubs you think are too big to end up in League One...and yet they don't seem to be pulling away from us very easily.

It's certainly amazing we've stayed 3-4 points off the survival zone despite the months we went without a win!

• QPR are beating Luton, which would pull them 9 points clear of us. We are in the rather bizarre situation of hoping Luton win!

1. Birmingham
    2. Wycombe
    3. Rotherham

Think we will have a good 2nd half of the season but just end up one or two points short on the last day...

• @Commoner said:
    22. Birmingham
    23. Wycombe
    24. Rotherham

Think we will have a good 2nd half of the season but just end up one or two points short on the last day...

I think every one on the gasroom would take the chance of a win on the last day keeping us up.
    A sensible win...1 or 2-0 rather than needing some mad goal difference turnaround.

• So, the question I have is, how many people would accept it if the season is curtailed early and we get relegated on PPG - despite perhaps showing an uptick in form in the second half which might keep us up if the season played out?

Because as I consider the direction football is going, amid the wider picture for covid in society, I think there's an increasing probability of both the season ending early and - if we make it to through another month or so first - it being decided on PPG.

• We can’t have any complaints if that is the case.

Unless we start adopting Peterborough-style conspiracy theories, all the teams in the Championship have had a chance to accumulate points and it is what it is.

We should be awarded the FA Cup by default though.

• I don't think it will happen now the great and the good can bike where they like and the vaccine is successfully being rolled out (everywhere except Bucks it seeems) @aloysius ...but I would accept it as we could spend a season or two complaining that actually we was robbed and would have reached safety had the season played out. Then we can demonise the clubs who voted for it and thus saved themselves. Then the Gasroom will be filled with people on one side or the other creating even more long running grudges. Win win! :wink:

• Is there a rule in place now for when points per game becomes a thing. Little early in the season to justify it now if I'm honest so yes I would be annoyed.
    Not sure at what point a season becomes set but last year it felt ok. Now it doesn't.

• edited January 2021

If PPG decides the season then so be it. Wherever we are we are!

I would genuinely like to see Peterborough down in 8th in the table but replacing the 6th placed team on PPG to make the Play-Offs.

Obviously they would take the moral high ground and refuse the place on principle, given their stated position from last season.

On an aside do we know if the FA updated any rules for this season incase it was curtailed? Are there a minimum number of fixtures needing to be completed by all teams to enforce PPG?

• If it comes to pass, so be it. But surely a bit of lateral thinking makes sense here. We have a winter world cup in 2022 - so if we have to stop now for a couple of months, then finish this season in autumn 2021, run next season Nov 21 to Oct 22 (allowing for any potential third wave next winter), do the world cup (covid permitting) and then work out how to bring back to normality after that.

• If the season is terminated early the EFL will have no doubt learnt a lesson from last seasons ‘debacle’ following heavy lobbying from Peterborough and Sunderland. As a result the 20/21 season will be declared void and all clubs remain in their current division to recommence next season?

• @Commoner said:
    If PPG decides the season then so be it. Wherever we are we are!

I would genuinely like to see Peterborough down in 8th in the table but replacing the 6th placed team on PPG to make the Play-Offs.

Obviously they would take the moral high ground and refuse the place on principle, given their stated position from last season.

On an aside do we know if the FA updated any rules for this season incase it was curtailed? Are there a minimum number of fixtures needing to be completed by all teams to enforce PPG?

I almost want the season to be curtailed and this scenario to happen just to see what they (Peterborough) do. Plus the added bonus of a certain Mr Swann eating his own words

• Plus the possibility of being able to attend full-house matches against some really big clubs.

• I really do think we are at the point of a suspension of matches at the very least. Watching millionaires jumping on each other after goals is a good image for protecting the NHS.

Having said that Grimsby's fine for breaking rules was random and included a great detail of Holloway playing darts with the players and calling it essential training. They really are on another planet.

• @micra said:
    Plus the possibility of being able to attend full-house matches against some really big clubs.

For the sake of clarity, having re-read preceding posts, my comment above referred to a scenario this season in which relegation and promotion were cancelled and we remained in the Championship next season. But, having just heard the latest details of the programme for distribution and administration of vaccines, it seems unlikely that we will be seeing full houses before next spring.

• What i haven't understood all along is the refusal or inability to look at the bigger picture of top level football over the next few seasons. the 21/22/23 are already being disrupted by a winter world cup, so why not get creative with the rest of the 20/21 season?

I don't think there's any potential for another suspension of elite sport, but why not take more time to play the games instead of cramming them into a normal August to May window?

• The vaccination programme will be hailed a as great British triumph and there will be no need to halt elite sport. This week at least.

• Don’t want to be argumentative @Wendoverman but hasn’t the vaccine achievement already been trumpeted pretty loudly?

• You could be right I get lost in all the trumpetting @micra but no doubt it's success will support the continuation of elite sport whatever the infection and mortality figures.

• @micra said:
    Don’t want to be argumentative @Wendoverman but hasn’t the vaccine achievement already been trumpeted pretty loudly?

Have you been called up for your jab oldest son? Are you priority 2?

• Nah, not yet. I’m 82 so I’m in the top group but frontline NHS staff, care home and social services staff should in theory (and rightly) take precedence. Having said that, my sister (81) has had both hers. She lives in Horam in the wilds of East Sussex.
    We’ve heard that two of our local friends (one aged 95) have appointments at Wycombe Town Hall on Friday. Their GP Surgery is in Priory Road (or Avenue, apparently there are two). The old guy I give a lift to is also at one of those practices. He’s just had a phone call offering him an appointment tomorrow morning but had to decline because he’s having his gas boiler serviced.

Too much information! But at least the wheels are starting to grind.

• My Mum is 84 had her first one in Nottingham this week. No help I know but yes things seem to be moving.. I've heard it's going well in Princes Risborough - very well organised - elsewhere in Bucks not so much. If my GP practice is involved I fully expect to be back at AP in 2027.

• Good to hear it's shifting. Have a few relatives in the 70+ zone