Skip to content

What further squad additions do we need in the Jan window?

I really think we need a good experienced left back as cover for JJ at least. What else do people think we need (within reason)?

Comments

• Not sure we need anything. If we are able to get some loan game time for a couple of fringe players I'd like to see a couple of exciting young loan signings. Probably in midfield.

• I think what we really need is for our best players to stay injury free. Hopefully Thompson's absence on Saturday was merely to give him a rest. With Gape back in the squad, it's only really Stewart still out from what would likely be our best XI. No idea on the Freeman situation.

Cover for JJ is obviously an issue but - touch wood - he's not one to be injured often. Would a loanee come in knowing they're unlikely to get much of a look in?

• I would quite like to see a couple more permanent signings, just cos it'll mean a legacy for this season even if we are not able to turn it around and stay up. If we do drop down again, having uche and horgan in the team (or money for them, worst case) will put us in a great position.

• Cover for JJ and an extra striker. Likely to be premier league/championship loanee left back and possibly an up and coming league one or league two striker on a transfer fee. JJ is rarely injured so whoever comes in would definitely be back up. A new striker could walk onto the subs bench and get a run out or two before maybe starting? A new striker would be good for next season as well?

• How pleasing it is to see everyone on here talking about a “back up” for JJ. I seem to remember during the last transfer window it was all about a “replacement” for JJ.

• @bookertease said:
    How pleasing it is to see everyone on here talking about a “back up” for JJ. I seem to remember during the last transfer window it was all about a “replacement” for JJ.

Just goes to show that people should never be too hasty
    in writing players off. I remember being mocked for making Curtis Thompson man of the match in one of his first appearances for us and look where he is now.

• JJ has been excellent this season. We do need cover though. In the spirit of harping on about the past...I was disappointed to see Jamie Mascoll go. He looked reasonable to me and may have been as 'up to it' at this level as JJ has proved to be. JJ being injured has been a big worry for two seasons now. But I accept I am not GA and Dobbo, do not see them in training every day, etc etc.

• It's funny how the media have changed their tune on Man Utd now after calling for the managers head for some time.
    The short termism in football is incredible and sometimes patience gets its rewards. JJ has found his mojo again this season and all players have peaks and throughs.
    Also nice to know @glasshalffull hasn't been scarred by the mocking he got over giving Thompson an early man of the match nod.

• What evidence do you have @Right_in_the_Middle that @glasshalffull hasn’t been scarred?

And @glasshalffull says “look where he is now”. The answer is we don’t know. For all we know he could be in hiding somewhere with Nick Freeman. Or they could have had a fight.

• @micra said:
    What evidence do you have @Right_in_the_Middle that @glasshalffull hasn’t been scarred?

And @glasshalffull says “look where he is now”. The answer is we don’t know. For all we know he could be in hiding somewhere with Nick Freeman. Or they could have had a fight.

Thank you both for your concern but my skin is too thick to carry any scars. I used the Thompson case simply to illustrate that one should never be hasty in judging players. When I was asked by the match sponsor to nominate M of M and chose Thompson, several posters on the FB page berated me saying he was ‘rubbish’ and he’s now one of our most important players.

• @Wendoverman said:
    JJ has been excellent this season. We do need cover though. In the spirit of harping on about the past...I was disappointed to see Jamie Mascoll go. He looked reasonable to me and may have been as 'up to it' at this level as JJ has proved to be. JJ being injured has been a big worry for two seasons now. But I accept I am not GA and Dobbo, do not see them in training every day, etc etc.

He's barely featured for League 2 Bolton, often not even making the bench, and they're struggling. So, probably the correct decision. Hopefully that's not too short term a judgement.

• Mascoll was an occasionally used player last year. So it'd have been a big step up for sure.

Football is so fluid though. Moods and opinions change rapidly.
    Bayo and Kashet was seen a good combo a few months back. Now people groan at Bayo coming on as a sub and all are over Uche. Kashket missed a few chances so the clamour for him to start has reduced.

That's football though. Form changes so opinions certainly do.

• Not in the least concerned I’m afraid @glasshalffull. Just unable to resist making a witty (?!) response to a strange comment by @Right_in_the_Middle about scarring and a deliberately daft interpretation of “look where he is now”.

On a serious note, the possibility that Curtis Thompson may be ill and/or still carrying an injury really is a concern. On the other hand, as we’ve seen many times over the decades, no one is irreplaceable.

• I'm always surprised by the idea that football supporters must always hold the same opinion, and can't change their mind about a player/manager/tactic based on the latest evidence.

• @micra said:
    Not in the least concerned I’m afraid @glasshalffull. Just unable to resist making a witty (?!) response to a strange comment by @Right_in_the_Middle about scarring and a deliberately daft interpretation of “look where he is now”.

On a serious note, the possibility that Curtis Thompson may be ill and/or still carrying an injury really is a concern. On the other hand, as we’ve seen many times over the decades, no one is irreplaceable.

I think you've got completely the wrong idea about the seriousness and content of my post and don't really see why you needed to be involved.

All I was pointing out was that given Thompson's debut was about 3 years ago a few Faceook moaners are still being remembered. I think I'd have forgotten about that long ago.

That is all.

• I don’t think so. The bit about the possibility that @glasshalffull might have been emotionally scarred by the kind of comments and the level of intelligence of certain posters on Facebook sounded like a wind-up at worst and light-hearted tongue-in-cheekery at best. I couldn’t see much relevance to the general tenor of the context which was about short-termism and the folly of jumping to conclusions, something which tends to be rife amongst many Facebook folk.

• Have not JJs improved/better performances happened when GA & Dobbo "helped" him out by having a left midfielder slightly more defensively minded?

• Anybody finding that they are more argumentative in lockdown? :smile:

• Definitely!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Anybody finding that they are more argumentative in lockdown? :smile:

Could be, might be, what's it to you? :-)

• @floyd said:
    I'm always surprised by the idea that football supporters must always hold the same opinion, and can't change their mind about a player/manager/tactic based on the latest evidence.

Don’t want to prolong this side issue, but that is not what I was getting at. Some supporters dismiss players before they’ve even seen them play (we’ve all read the ‘Why have we signed him?’ type of posts) or because they’ve had one or two bad games. Of course fans can have different opinions, but too often they are based on knee-jerk reactions. One final point on Thompson and to reassure Micra, I think we’ll be seeing him in action very soon.

• That’s very good news @glasshalffull.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Have not JJs improved/better performances happened when GA & Dobbo "helped" him out by having a left midfielder slightly more defensively minded?

Yes! JJ is better with Wheeler (man who can play in every position) in front of him, rather than Fred. I wonder if Gaz will get Wheeler to man mark Dele Alli when we play Spurs in the cup?

• Would have thought our very own "bull mastiff" Thompson would be the man for that job @Forest_Blue ?

• Didn’t I read somewhere that Dele Alli could be moving on? Not sure if that would make him more or less likely to play against us.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Would have thought our very own "bull mastiff" Thompson would be the man for that job @Forest_Blue ?

Like the thought, but make a book on how long until Thompson’s first yellow card if that happens.

• edited January 2021

He went out on loan didn't he? But he was back against Marine, so I expect him to play. Kane and Son rested possibly. I think Jose might be applying the boot up the behind to Mr MK...so he may start to up his game a bit...which is bad for us. Hopefully he will not get a boot up the arse in our area to give him an excuse to go down...Rocky...stay on yer line!

• @Wendoverman said:
    He went out on loan didn't he? But he was back against Marine, so I expect him to play. Kane and Son rested possibly. I think Jose might be applying the boot up the behind to Mr MK...so he may start to up his game a bit...which is bad for us. Hopefully he will not get a boot up the arse in our area to give him an excuse to go down...Rocky...stay on yer line!

They have a huge game against Liverpool that for some reason is the Thursday after our game. So in reality it'd suit us for our game to be pushed back from Saturday as late as possible, Sunday/Monday, rather than it being brought forward.

Mourinho only rotates in the really "easy" games (he played Son and Kane a lot in early Europa games!), so it's whether he's smart enough to have done his home work on us. You'd imagine he would have done, as we held his boys 1-1 in 2007! And they were a lot better than his current mob.

• I’m hoping he plays Joe Hart again, I quite like the idea of him dealing with JJ’s corners and set pieces.

• Apparently Ainsworth is after a Premier League U23 striker, on loan I assume. Also one or two out of the door and hoping to get money for them. Interesting!!