Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston (FA CUP)

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Is there a story behind the change in Goalkeeper coach?

Our old keeper coach who went to West Ham, the reunion Gaz, Dobbo and him seemed having a ball on the dugout.

• Was that our best ever result against a 2nd tier side?

• See that the club have announced the return of Lee Harrison but no comment on what happened to Andy Fairman who had been in that post?

• edited January 2021

That was before Uche was available @aloysius, and I stand by my view that Bayo has to start if Uche is unfit. Now we have the uption to allow Uche to give his all for 60-70 minutes and then replace him with Bayo.

• Last 15-20 for Bayo seems sensible - with maybe the odd start in 4 games if we're playing a solid saturday/midweek for 2 weeks in a row.

It looks incredible now thinking we were making Bayo play 90 three games in a row and then 25-30 in game 4.

• @mooneyman said:
    That was before Uche was available @aloysius, and I stand by my view that Bayo has to start if Uche is unfit. Now we have the uption to allow Uche to give his all for 60-70 minutes and then replace him with Bayo.

Correct.

• I know we are no saints but I thought some of the PNE calls for freekicks were very sad today. As I said earlier glad the referee ignored some of Fisher's dramatics. I dont want to upset eric but also thought the Adeniran yellow was accidental whereas Fred was taken out late on and got nothing.

• Adeniran was guilty of one of those tackles that completely won the ball, but make the referee wince because had he miss timed it could have been a nasty one.

Refs seem to book players on what could have happened rather than what actually did (although he did slightly touch the player with his trailing foot the ball had been won well before then)

• Gawd talking about commentary the Irish woman summariser on MOTD managed to mispronounce names while sounding if she was terminally bored and reading out loud for the very first time!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Gawd talking about commentary the Irish woman summariser on MOTD managed to mispronounce names while sounding if she was terminally bored and reading out loud for the very first time!

Hmm, interesting voice over, wasn’t it?

• As we were the last match on, trying to stay awake while listening to her droning voice was very difficult.

I’ve never heard anyone in sports presentation sound so disinterested. How on earth did she get a job in broadcasting?

• edited January 2021

The limits to what gets moaned about is expanding all the time. I saw this footage on MOTD this morning before Andrew Marr and don't actually remember a voice over.
    After recent criticisms of female pundits on social media it's interesting that two of the three comments so far mention the gender of the voice over person as if it's relevant.

• @micra said:
    Wonderful as the performance and result were, we mustn’t lose sight of the fact that we were playing what was essentially PNE Reserves.

Also Highlights we have a decent squad and Preston dont.

• really good performance yesterday. Muskwe made a notable initial impact, but hard to pick anybody out in what was a performance full of verve and positive intent. Promises much for the journey to Wembley.

And great to see the returns of Gape and Lee Harrison. It was always clear how warm the relationship was between Ainsworth, Dobbo and Harrison and it will be interesting to see what impact this move has on our approach to 'keeping.

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@micra said:
    Wonderful as the performance and result were, we mustn’t lose sight of the fact that we were playing what was essentially PNE Reserves.

Also Highlights we have a decent squad and Preston dont.

Or if Neil’s post-match comments are typical, that his non-first team squad get mightily pissed off about him slagging them off

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55574488

The limits to what gets moaned about is expanding all the time. I saw this footage on MOTD this morning before Andrew Marr and don't actually remember a voice over.
    After recent criticisms of female pundits on social media it's interesting that two of the three comments so far mention the gender of the voice over person as if it's relevant.

I’m sure @glasshalffull will have a perspective on this but I am sure it’s REALLY hard doing a commentary on a game you have not seen, have no connection to, in a studio probably alone, reading a script by someone who had 10 - 20 others to do that evening.

• ... and yet some do it very well, regardless of gender.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

I’m sure @glasshalffull will have a perspective on this but I am sure it’s REALLY hard doing a commentary on a game you have not seen, have no connection to, in a studio probably alone, reading a script by someone who had 10 - 20 others to do that evening.

I’m guessing the reporter had no more than a couple of chances to watch the edited highlights before having to script and deliver the commentary. It’s not easy because there is a limited time in which to get across essential information. You can’t be talking about the first goal when the edited action has moved on to the next incident. There is also little time to check names and pronunciations and even the most experienced broadcasters can get things wrong as I did with ‘Jason’ Josh Knight recently!
    I think the point being made about the MOTD reporter was a reference to her style of delivery which was certainly low key. It’s all subjective, of course.

• On the FA Player you could hear the bench a lot more clearly. When Horgan came on, it sounded like Ainsworth said something like "You're in the spotlight"

• Confidence building that three players scored their first goals of the season yesterday. Plus Muskwe down for his first assist.

• @LX1 said:
    On the FA Player you could hear the bench a lot more clearly. When Horgan came on, it sounded like Ainsworth said something like "You're in the spotlight"

There was something “different” going on with the sound on FA Player for sure. At half time when two players were knocking the ball to each other it sounded unnaturally loud for the effort in the kicks. Like small explosions in each kick.

I guess with no one else in the ground they have turned up the picture side mics/sensitivity to get that extra match day sound.

May run the danger of the more industrial language getting picked up though I guess.

• Not seen it mentioned, but how close was JJ with scoring direct from a corner again.

And anyone else think that if that had been a league game and we were losing 2-1 at the time Samuel’s goal would have been called offside?

• JJ almost scored twice from a corner yesterday. The one at the near post and a deeper one a little while later.

He really is outstanding from dead ball situations. You see some woeful corners from highly paid Premier League 'stars' every week.

I resent the impications there righty. It was an Irish woman who sounded bored. It was a description.To try and make it into something else is indeed expanding the moaning limits. I have no problem with female pundits.

• I much prefer the commentary of @bluntphil, @glasshalffull et al but the FaPlayers mic quality, noise filtering and over mix was way ahead of the iFollow offering.

Maybe @glasshalffull could ‘borrow’ a spare mic or two from his employers...? ;)

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    I much prefer the commentary of @bluntphil, @glasshalffull et al but the FaPlayers mic quality, noise filtering and over mix was way ahead of the iFollow offering.

Maybe @glasshalffull could ‘borrow’ a spare mic or two from his employers...? ;)

Strange you should say that as I now have my own personal microphone and headphones due to concerns about shared equipment as a result of COVID.

• @glasshalffull said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

I’m guessing the reporter had no more than a couple of chances to watch the edited highlights before having to script and deliver the commentary. It’s not easy because there is a limited time in which to get across essential information. You can’t be talking about the first goal when the edited action has moved on to the next incident. There is also little time to check names and pronunciations and even the most experienced broadcasters can get things wrong as I did with ‘Jason’ Josh Knight recently!
    I think the point being made about the MOTD reporter was a reference to her style of delivery which was certainly low key. It’s all subjective, of course.

Jason is what everyone calls him now anyway so its not a problem

• @Wendoverman said:

I resent the impications there righty. It was an Irish woman who sounded bored. It was a description.To try and make it into something else is indeed expanding the moaning limits. I have no problem with female pundits.

Yep. We haven't got to the level just yet where you can't describe a person in any descriptive terms have we?
    We won't be able to describe someone as tall or fast next.

• That’s interesting @glasshalffull.

I made the observation as your mic, in particular, has been picking up throat clearances, minor coughs and suchlike that I’ve never heard when listening to you on other platforms. So much so that my daughter suggested you should get tested for CV!

Your mic also seemed to add sibilance and gain and to be at a different level to Phil’s.

Please don’t take this as criticism as I don’t normally hear it on your commentaries, which is perhaps what made it stand out. Perhaps someone just needs to spend a few minutes tweaking levels?

All the above said, I’ve often been told that I’m over sensitive to sibilance, bit rates etc., probably from years of obsessing over hifi and turntable needle calibration.

• I had low expectations for the FA player generally based on my overall feeling towards the FA but it was excellent. The commentary was well informed. The camera angles were excellent. The streaming was spot on. Bonus included the goal line ‘technology’ to show JJ’s corner was JUST not over the line.
    I have to wonder why ifollow can be so disappointing sometimes (with the exception of @bluntphil and @glasshalffull of course).