Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston (FA CUP)

Comments

• @Vincey said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:
    We didn't see last season cancelled. When it was new, and there was no hope of a vaccine.
    So we definitely won't see this season cancelled. Whether they put a little 2-3 week "circuit breaker" in is another story.

It wouldn’t surprise me for a circuit breaker or even a longer delay.

If you think 18 months away we are heading towards a Nov and Dec 22 World Cup so club football this year could run to aug/September, normal preseason and the 21/22 season start Nov/December and due to end sept/Oct 22 ready for the World Cup.

There is the small matter of the European championships this summer

Dog! Of course there is. Completely forgot about that!

• I know PNE had a lot of changes but we were also without Tommo, Grimmer and McCleary.
    Also good to hear GA saying that Stewart is not far off returning. With Gape back and Stewart nearing a return we will have a pretty solid group.

• edited January 2021

@TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:
    We didn't see last season cancelled. When it was new, and there was no hope of a vaccine.
    So we definitely won't see this season cancelled. Whether they put a little 2-3 week "circuit breaker" in is another story.

If you think 18 months away we are heading towards a Nov and Dec 22 World Cup so club football this year could run to aug/September, normal preseason and the 21/22 season start Nov/December and due to end sept/Oct 22 ready for the World Cup.

Would be a bizarre turn of events if this whole disaster actually ended up making something easier to plan for!

Not sure what you'd do for the next season - as you'd have ro presumably have Jan-August being way too long for a "pre-season" but way too short to squeeze a quick season in too?

• It was hardly Preston reserves anymore than it was Wycombe reserves. They made 7 changes from their last league game, 1 of whom was brought on at halftime and 2 more later in the 2nd half.

They rested some of their best players in Johnson and Barkhuizen, just like we did with Thompson and McCleary.

Their big new signing in Molumby started but didn't do anything all game

• @Vincey said:

@TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:

There is the small matter of the European championships this summer

If we did have this little circuit-breaker and they insist on still playing the Euros out, it could be a bit farcical as players arrive even more knackered than normal.

• @Malone said:

The lovely Mrs fit had her vaccine jab today, 6000 NHS workers in South Bucks Trust, it will take a month minimum before any of the other categories get the opportunity vis the SMH centre. The Oxford Astra Zenica jab will go to the GP surgeries and care homes. So March earliest before any part of the public can get a jab. But I suspect the wealthy will be able to jump the queue. I fear football will have too many outbreaks at clubs. Derby today (I think they were using it as an excuse).

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

@railwaysteve said:
    More goals in our first FA Cup game of the season than in our first eight League games. Things are definitely improving.

What percentage of all the goals we've scored this season have been against Preston, I wonder.

30%

• @Fit2drop said:

@Malone said:

The lovely Mrs fit had her vaccine jab today, 6000 NHS workers in South Bucks Trust, it will take a month minimum before any of the other categories get the opportunity vis the SMH centre. The Oxford Astra Zenica jab will go to the GP surgeries and care homes. So March earliest before any part of the public can get a jab. But I suspect the wealthy will be able to jump the queue. I fear football will have too many outbreaks at clubs. Derby today (I think they were using it as an excuse).

Over 1Million have already had it haven't they? Do you not count any of those as being part of the public? It's not just NHS & Care home people is it? It's anyone over 80?

I know the government figures are just a little optimistic, but they're talking about everyone in the top 4 tiers, so down to the over 70s by mid Feb?

• My mother in law had hers yesterday, and one of her friends who is in her 90s has had both ready !

• I’m not sure that ‘and the 10 news, (showing patients stacked outside hospitals whilst deaths reach a daily record of 2064) will be delayed to watch extra time in tonights Millwall v Luton FA Cuo 4th round clash” type scenario is a good look.

More pertinently, anything that gives an impression of things carrying on normally I’m not sure is helpful. No idea what it’s like elsewhere but up here you would never guess that we are supposed to all be staying at home. Roads are busy, people are everywhere.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2021

I doubt Millwall v Luton would be a BBC live game, but I see your point

• @bookertease said:
    I’m not sure that ‘and the 10 news, (showing patients stacked outside hospitals whilst deaths reach a daily record of 2064) will be delayed to watch extra time in tonights Millwall v Luton FA Cuo 4th round clash” type scenario is a good look.

More pertinently, anything that gives an impression of things carrying on normally I’m not sure is helpful. No idea what it’s like elsewhere but up here you would never guess that we are supposed to all be staying at home. Roads are busy, people are everywhere.

Serious question. Why do you think closing down football will encourage people to stay at home?

• @Brownie said:

@LX1 said:
    Wycombe winning the Cup on goal difference as it stands

STOP THE COUNT!

Well I demand a recount, in Widmer End, I'm certain we won there!

• That’s what I have been waiting for. We go again.

• @mooneyman said:

@bookertease said:
    I’m not sure that ‘and the 10 news, (showing patients stacked outside hospitals whilst deaths reach a daily record of 2064) will be delayed to watch extra time in tonights Millwall v Luton FA Cuo 4th round clash” type scenario is a good look.

Serious question. Why do you think closing down football will encourage people to stay at home?

I’m not really sure it will. But my thinking is that there definitely appears to be a much wider lack of observance to the stay at home message this time round. Shutting down football could (I emphasise could) help send the message that this situation is really serious as I’d things can’t carry on normally. It’s a nuanced argument though and I’m not even sure which side of the fence I do take with this.

Perhaps I’ll wait until I see the draw for the next round. If it’s Luton away I will definitely vote for shutting it down

• Good watch today. Looked solid at the back and creative up front. Admiral looked lively although missed the one chance Ainsworth said we'd bought him in to take. Uche looked stronger too.

Great to see McCarthy get a game in his best position and play so well. Knights goal involved all four of our defenders. Have we ever scored a goal like that before?

The FA Player coverage was pretty good 9n my opinion. Good work from a single commentator and only the odd camera miss. Not as many replays shown over action either.

Let's see if we finally get a decent draw or if indeed we get to play it. These matches are getting more and more incongruous with the pandemic explosion.

• It’s difficult to put a finger on why people seem less inclined to obey the rules when the consequences are written large in the stats every day.
    Personally the whole lack of personal responsibility winds me up. David Moyes today is quoted as saying that the government employees should obey the rules before pointing fingers at footballers. That’s such a bullshit argument but one that soft minded people use. Instead of owning their actions they seem to want to blame others for their behaviour. If want to be a dick at least own it don’t blame a civil servant (I assume Moyes was referring to Cummings) you hadn’t heard of a few months ago.
    Winge over

• Anyone asked Alan Swann how Peterborough United got on in the FA Cup today? Can't seem to find it.

• Could it be that despite King Boz believing otherwise the great British public are actually quite selfish and stupid? After all Biden keeps saying this is not America about the recent events when quite possibly it actually is.

• FA Player was great. It was a nice touch to have post-match replays with commentary. Commentator was great, the odd slip up notwithstanding

• A bit too much of the "guidance" has been left too loose across all of this.> @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

It’s difficult to put a finger on why people seem less inclined to obey the rules when the consequences are written large in the stats every day.

Because they seem not to trust anyone - be it the gov, the media or the scientists.
    That because they personally haven't seen someone have covid or have issues with it that it can't therefore exist.
    And that clips of nurses saying how bad it all is is "propaganda"

Hard to reason with these people.

• Maybe if we’d spent the last couple of decades paying teachers an appropriate salary and attracting the best of the best to the profession, the British public wouldn’t be quite so damn ignorant. We all know the ruling classes need an idiot class though, it’s how they hold on to power.

• @drcongo said:
    Maybe if we’d spent the last couple of decades paying teachers an appropriate salary and attracting the best of the best to the profession, the British public wouldn’t be quite so damn ignorant. We all know the ruling classes need an idiot class though, it’s how they hold on to power.

The purpose of education should not be the acquisition of facts, it should be the acquisition of the ability to reason, to critique, to weigh up evidence and to tolerate uncertainty. Increasingly it seems not to be and that suits extremists and the powerful of all persuasions.

As for the failure to comply with lockdown 3 which I agree is far more widespread than 1, people are tired, struggling to maintain personal, relationship and economic stability and many choose to manage the dissonance between maintaining their own well-being and breaking rules and risking others lives through selectively attending to information that lowers consequent guilt. That can be hospitals are empty videos, I don’t know anyone who has been seriously ill, everyone is breaking rules anyway, I know I’m breaking a rule but the rule is foolish and I’m being careful. Plenty of excuses or conspiracies to choose from. Of course there are also a small number who wouldn’t overly care if their actions led to another’s death. It has always been so.

And off my soapbox and back to football. Excellent result, excellent performance. I’m very hopeful that the team will believe they can pick up a lot of points over the next half dozen games.

• @Manboobs said:

@drcongo said:
    Maybe if we’d spent the last couple of decades paying teachers an appropriate salary and attracting the best of the best to the profession, the British public wouldn’t be quite so damn ignorant. We all know the ruling classes need an idiot class though, it’s how they hold on to power.

The purpose of education should not be the acquisition of facts, it should be the acquisition of the ability to reason, to critique, to weigh up evidence and to tolerate uncertainty. Increasingly it seems not to be and that suits extremists and the powerful of all persuasions.

As for the failure to comply with lockdown 3 which I agree is far more widespread than 1, people are tired, struggling to maintain personal, relationship and economic stability and many choose to manage the dissonance between maintaining their own well-being and breaking rules and risking others lives through selectively attending to information that lowers consequent guilt. That can be hospitals are empty videos, I don’t know anyone who has been seriously ill, everyone is breaking rules anyway, I know I’m breaking a rule but the rule is foolish and I’m being careful. Plenty of excuses or conspiracies to choose from. Of course there are also a small number who wouldn’t overly care if their actions led to another’s death. It has always been so.

And off my soapbox and back to football. Excellent result, excellent performance. I’m very hopeful that the team will believe they can pick up a lot of points over the next half dozen games.

Spot on that. I know of many exactly like that. Think you've also pointed out that for many of us struggling with personal finances, it is a difficult balance. I have chosen to go down the personal poverty route but appreciate it's not for everyone to choose.

• Back on the football, I thought Uche’s first touch today was excellent - the one part of his game that had looked a little rusty in earlier appearances.

• I believe that keeping Uche fit is the key to our hopes of survival.

• @glasshalffull said:
    I believe that keeping Uche fit is the key to our hopes of survival.

Totally agree. He has made a colossal difference. Mobile and strong. He will also score and create chances for others. Slightly concerning agreeing with @glasshalfull. Ha, ha.

• @davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

Totally agree. He has made a colossal difference. Mobile and strong. He will also score and create chances for others. Slightly concerning agreeing with @glasshalfull. Ha, ha.

Spot on. Even more concerning for me in that I agree with you AND @glasshalffull!

• Is there a story behind the change in Goalkeeper coach?

• @mooneyman said:

@davecz said:

@glasshalffull said:

Spot on. Even more concerning for me in that I agree with you AND @glasshalffull!

But you've been one of the biggest advocates on here for playing Bayo. As indeed has @glasshalffull. Should we take both your posts tonight as mea culpas? ;)