Skip to content

Match day thread: Preston (FA CUP)

Comments

• edited January 2021

I had both the BBC radio commentary on audio and the FA player on mute at the start of the game and the FA player trailed by about 10 seconds. Long enough for me to get to the other end of the room, shout "This is going in" and then watch the first goal.

Agreed the commentary was almost as good as @bluntphil.

• £61,500 in prize money trousered for that win too.

Lovelystuff.

4th and 5th round draws both being made at the same time on Monday is interesting.
    Could be tantaslising if you have the prospect of a huge tie. Or it could be a right turnoff if you have Swindon away as your prize!

• @micra said:
    Corner for Wigan?

He said Wigan twice in succession. His best line, though, was Wycombe have 4 generals and an Admiral.

• Wycombe winning the Cup on goal difference as it stands

• Yes. Liked that.

• @woodlands said:

@micra said:
    Corner for Wigan?

He said Wigan twice in succession. His best line, though, was Wycombe have 4 generals and an Admiral.

One if my favourites was when one of their players blasted it over and he made a comment about his car ! I agree apart from the odd mistake I thought it was good

• Uche and Muskwe were absolutely brilliant today. Even though we didn’t play as well as we did against Preston in the league, those two up front made all the difference.

Having said that, Preston were just shit. Could barely string 3 passes together and had zero creativity.

• @LX1 said:
    Wycombe winning the Cup on goal difference as it stands

STOP THE COUNT!

• It’s all too quick for me.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@woodlands said:

@micra said:
    Corner for Wigan?

One if my favourites was when one of their players blasted it over and he made a comment about his car ! I agree apart from the odd mistake I thought it was good

A few moans about it being cold/foggy and telling the actual fans to be glad they weren't there might have got a few asses twitching.

• Saddo Statto time
    Largest winning margin in a 3rd or beyond fa cup tie.
    Only for the second time in our history, were in the hat for the 5th rnd draw .

• @drcongo said:
    Uche and Muskwe were absolutely brilliant today. Even though we didn’t play as well as we did against Preston in the league, those two up front made all the difference.

Having said that, Preston were just shit. Could barely string 3 passes together and had zero creativity.

They made 9 changes apparently.
    It reminded me of when we did that in a cup tie a few years ago and we were all over the place.
    Although that cup was the Checkatrade in fairness!

• @Brownie said:

@LX1 said:

STOP THE COUNT!

Could come down to this if this proves to be the last weekend of football before BJ and co close it all down for 3 months next week (which I actually think is more likely than not at the moment)

• @bookertease said:

@Brownie said:

@LX1 said:

STOP THE COUNT!

Could come down to this if this proves to be the last weekend of football before BJ and co close it all down for 3 months next week (which I actually think is more likely than not at the moment)

3 months?!
    Not a chance.

• More likely than undersoil heating problems apparently.

• Yes I don’t actually think they would. 6 weeks to start with to allow them to sort out the mass vaccinations, which is bound to.run smoothly...

• I think there is a distinct possibility of the season being cancelled. This second wave is causing untold cases at present.

• More goals in our first FA Cup game of the season than in our first eight League games. Things are definitely improving.

• @LX1 said:

Didn't see Leicester won 4-0

• Wonderful as the performance and result were, we mustn’t lose sight of the fact that we were playing what was essentially PNE Reserves.

• Keeping the season going, with games available on TV, at least means people have a reason to stay at home to watch it, which is good. On the other hand it may encourage people that don't have Sky or BT to go round a friend's house to watch it there, which is bad. So, you can argue it either way.

• @railwaysteve said:
    More goals in our first FA Cup game of the season than in our first eight League games. Things are definitely improving.

What percentage of all the goals we've scored this season have been against Preston, I wonder.

• We didn't see last season cancelled. When it was new, and there was no hope of a vaccine.
    So we definitely won't see this season cancelled. Whether they put a little 2-3 week "circuit breaker" in is another story.

• @bookertease said:

@Brownie said:

@LX1 said:

STOP THE COUNT!

Not sure how shutting down the Premier League (and perhaps the Championship) would help reduce the infection rate, in fact it could have the reverse effect.

Players are currently tested twice a week, and I believe the majority who test positive are asymptomatic. If football stops, then these players will not be regularly tested and those asymptomatic carriers will be out spreading it in the wider community. We all know that most Premiership footballers consider they are above the law (à la Grealish, Ibe etc) and I think they are much more likely to breach the covid regulations if they do not have the discipline of going into train every day.

• edited January 2021

@micra said:
    Wonderful as the performance and result were, we mustn’t lose sight of the fact that we were playing what was essentially PNE Reserves.

This is something that does need referencing. Albeit all first team squad members at least.
    But also needs remembering that we haven't looked like scoring so many against anyone else including the worst teams in our league - who are arguably worse than that Preston outfit today. (Having scored 4 and could have been more with a bit more luck of how the ball fell.)> @Doob said:

Keeping the season going, with games available on TV, at least means people have a reason to stay at home to watch it, which is good. On the other hand it may encourage people that don't have Sky or BT to go round a friend's house to watch it there, which is bad. So, you can argue it either way.

Mental health is a huge focus these days and I dare say football staying on is huge to millions of people.

• What’s the benefit of having the next two rounds drawn together? Fixture congestion on The One Show?

• @floyd said:
    What’s the benefit of having the next two rounds drawn together? Fixture congestion on The One Show?

It does seem odd.

It seems to be to give clubs an idea of how fixture congestion will work.

But surely any club outside the premier league will know that if they win through to the 5th round they have a league game to re-arrange anyway!?

• @Malone said:
    We didn't see last season cancelled. When it was new, and there was no hope of a vaccine.
    So we definitely won't see this season cancelled. Whether they put a little 2-3 week "circuit breaker" in is another story.

It wouldn’t surprise me for a circuit breaker or even a longer delay.

If you think 18 months away we are heading towards a Nov and Dec 22 World Cup so club football this year could run to aug/September, normal preseason and the 21/22 season start Nov/December and due to end sept/Oct 22 ready for the World Cup.

• @TheDancingYak said:

@Malone said:
    We didn't see last season cancelled. When it was new, and there was no hope of a vaccine.

It wouldn’t surprise me for a circuit breaker or even a longer delay.

If you think 18 months away we are heading towards a Nov and Dec 22 World Cup so club football this year could run to aug/September, normal preseason and the 21/22 season start Nov/December and due to end sept/Oct 22 ready for the World Cup.

There is the small matter of the European championships this summer