Skip to content

Undersoil Heating

As I struggle to keep warm and note that today the outside temperature has remained stubbornly on zero (following an overnight minimum of -4 celsius), I imagine the undersoil heating has probably kicked already. That’s on the assumption that it is still operational of course.

Comments

• That brings back memories of the club calling a game against Fleetwood off about 20mins before kick off! Either they'd forgotten to turn it on/or it hadn't worked or something.

Was irritating for me, having driven 3miles in the cold - but must have been an absolute bastad for those poor Fleetwood fans!

• Yes...wasn't that a Boxing Day @Malone ...when we all stood outside in the cold for an hour until they said: 'Sorry folks...' ? Sadly, the charity people had legged it with the parking money before I got back to me car.

• Could well have been.
    I believe they announced it was definitely on in whatever the suite was at the time - to cheers, and confirmed online it was on.

Then erm...it wasn't.

• edited December 2020

29th December it seems. In League Two. Remember those olden days?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9093053/wycombe-v-fleetwood-called-off

• As chaotic as it was that day, what wouldn't we have given for the prospect of attending Adams Park on Saturday?

Remember sitting in the car on the top car park trying to keep warm, while frantically searching for an update to confirm if the game was on - which seemed unlikely given the weather conditions.
    The groan and rumble of displeasure from those in and around the ground confirmed the match was off!
    Luckily was able to speedily exit the car park, as having to wait 45mins to leave having NOT watched a match would have been unbearable.

• edited December 2020

I was in a taxi on the way from the pub to the ground when a text came through. Told the cabbie to turn right around and take us straight back to the pub

I don't remember feeling hugely disappointed

• With all the improvements made since the Couhig family took control (new LED floodlights, upgraded WiFi facilities etc) it would be disappointing if another potentially season changing match had to be postponed because of a frozen pitch. Frozen fingers crossed.

• WiFi upgrade wasn't yet working for the Coventry match @micra

• I know there was a delay but I can’t recall what was said at the time about the timescale. I had the impression that completion was imminent.

• The big screen was missing too so no match clock even. A temporary downgrade

• @micra said:
    I know there was a delay but I can’t recall what was said at the time about the timescale. I had the impression that completion was imminent.

I understand late December was the revised date to have it completed

• Hey you get offa ma cloud!!
    Hope all’s well wid yer, fella! You’ve been in good voice recently. Long may it continue.

• Cheers Mike, hope you and yours are well. I will continue to bring the noise until the Terrace is open at least!

HNY to all Gasroomers near and far.

COYB!!!!

• We are surviving thanks but I’m under strict orders to stop going to supermarkets!! Neighbour has kindly agreed to repeat her halcyon efforts from the original lockdown. We are very lucky.
    COYB indeed!

• Well, would you Adam and Eve it. A rise in temperature (to a sub-tropical 3 degrees) this evening and expected to stay that way for most of the night plus light rain (currently) means that the undersoil heating, having no doubt done its job over the past 24 hours or so could probably now be safely turned off/overridden,

• On second thoughts, savings probably insufficient to justify the risk. Better safe than sorry.

• @micra Your neighbour is a kingfisher?

• I honestly didn’t know what that word meant - had only heard it in the context of halcyon days. It tripped off the finger. I thought it meant “wonderful”. Which she is.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    @micra Your neighbour is a kingfisher?

I've definitely missed something here - and certainly shouldn't have googled one "definition" of the phrase.

• I’m not sure if players were slipping over on a hard frozen surface or perhaps the top surface had thawed enough to make it greasy. Anyone know?

• @micra said:
    I’m not sure if players were slipping over on a hard frozen surface or perhaps the top surface had thawed enough to make it greasy. Anyone know?

Ask the commentator. He seemed obsessed by the conditions.

• My concern is, with the likelihood of much colder weather in the next month or two, that the undersoil heating may be inoperative. That is a perfectly rational comment/concern. Suggesting that I ask the commentator is a bit silly.

• @micra said:
    My concern is, with the likelihood of much colder weather in the next month or two, that the undersoil heating may be inoperative. That is a perfectly rational comment/concern. Suggesting that I ask the commentator is a bit silly.

You're getting a bit hung up on the old undersoil heating old son.
    It'll be fine.

• But where will the fans be to clear the snow off the pitch in the 4th round

• I trust you @Malone .

• My concern is that as soon as the heating is used the top surface lifts and the pitch gets really boobly.

The players were mainly slipping due to the stupid blades they have on their boots

• @micra said:
    My concern is, with the likelihood of much colder weather in the next month or two, that the undersoil heating may be inoperative. That is a perfectly rational comment/concern. Suggesting that I ask the commentator is a bit silly.

Sorry for my silliness @micra but he didn’t stop banging on about it all afternoon. My wife actually suggested turning the commentary off because I was so incensed by his constant references to fog, surface, where he parked his car etc.

• @Onlooker said:

@micra said:

Sorry for my silliness @micra but he didn’t stop banging on about it all afternoon. My wife actually suggested turning the commentary off because I was so incensed by his constant references to fog, surface, where he parked his car etc.

And how we should count ourselves (the fans) "lucky" not to be there!

• @Malone said:

@Onlooker said:

@micra said:

And how we should count ourselves (the fans) "lucky" not to be there!

That one was crass. FA cup third round day, meeting friends, pre-match beers. decent food from the independent food stalls, maybe a sold covers band by the beer tent, Rebellion at half-time and a chorus of “We’re
    going to Wem-ber-ley”. If A nip in the air and a bit of fog spoils that then you have no soul.