Skip to content

Big month for Rob Couhig...

Comments

• I don't agree with you very often( actually hardly at all) @glasshalffull but ability and character are far far more important than being a' personality.' I'm pretty certain you wouldn't sign someone for being a personality. I suppose the closest we've got to a personality is Bayo but he has ability and a strong character.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Vincey said:

@drcongo said:

@eric_plant said:
    When does he ever make a save that leaves you wondering in disbelief how he made it?

There was more than one in just the playoff games.

He also gave away that daft penalty in the game at Fleetwood..

Didn't think it was at the time & still think the same!

Whether you think it was a penalty or not it’s a crazy bit of goalkeeping. Their player was facing away from goal and posed no immediate threat and Rocky went after him and tripped him up. Awful judgement.

That said he’s having a very good season.

• "on occasion" is doing some incredible work in that post.

• Some classic gasroom grudges being played out on here.

Roll on the next game eh?

• This thread has turned a bit rocky

• @drcongo said:
    "on occasion" is doing some incredible work in that post.

Not a patch on your use of "slagging off"

• edited January 2021

I think that if there is a general sentiment among fans (not commanding six yard box, coming for crosses, etc.) it usually has some accuracy. There are certainly some heart in the mouth moments over the years.

However, I genuinely think Rocky is an above average shot stopper - he has made some fantastic saves this season, and others referenced the playoffs too. Just for that save from the Dickey header and the perfect long ball to set up the foul on Fred for the winning penalty, he should never have to pay for a beer among Wycombe supporters again. One of my favourite non-scoring sequences from last season was that scramble at the end of the 3-3 draw with pre-Revenge tour Peterborough, when he made a couple of great stops, throwing himself around. He is also two footed, and generally pretty calm in his decision making.

The goalkeeping position is obviously so unenviable, as flaws are magnified, almost always lead to goals or very good chances. If we were going to be cruel, we could pick significant flaws in most of our other players, except they don't tend to be exposed as openly.

If we decide to go in a different direction when Rocky's contract is up, so be it. He is not the perfect goalkeeper, but he does have some real strengths. If he were to be able to play his final Wycombe game at a packed AP, he would deserve an ovation every bit as much as Scott Brown, who had the benefit of doing just that against Stevenage.

• @Vincey said:
    Whether you think it was a penalty or not it’s a crazy bit of goalkeeping. Their player was facing away from goal and posed no immediate threat and Rocky went after him and tripped him up. Awful judgement.

That said he’s having a very good season.
    Well I can't "see" the claimed trip and unless you have a different angle to view it on, I would be surprised if you can either. What I do see is the forwards left leg suddenly move out to the left towards Rocky and the good old starfish theatrical collapse.
    Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

• He has done really well this season. All players have weaknesses but goalkeepers weaknesses are amplified. It is just as important for a striker to put away his chances or a defender to get in a header or tackle.

• The difference being that we signed Uche to strengthen up front and we've just added another striker as well.

In fact other than left back we've strengthened every single position, although obviously goalkeepers are far more likely to be able to play every game.

Anyway, Gaz obviously agrees with a lot of gasroomers' opinions on him so those posters should be delighted, rather than getting annoyed with me saying he never comes for crosses and never looks like saving a penalty

• A very reasonable summing up by Eric. Naturally, we would all like to have players who excel at every aspect of the position in which they play, but with our budget that just isn’t realistic. I think Rocky has more strengths than weaknesses and I’ve only seen a few Championship goalkeepers who have consistently outperformed him this season, all with bigger clubs and on bigger wages.
    Perhaps it’s true that he’s told to let defenders deal with crosses (I genuinely have no idea) and I don’t think it’s fair to expect any keeper to save more than the occasional penalty. Personally, I don’t think goalkeeper is a problem position at this moment.

• Rocky's not good enough for this league, punches when he should catch and doesn't come at all when he should punch.... Him and that dopey idiot McCarthy cost us 3 points at Preston. I can't imagine it gives the back four much hope or encouragement knowing 9/10 he's gonna stay on his line when a cross comes in.

• @bigred87 said:
    Rocky's not good enough for this league, punches when he should catch and doesn't come at all when he should punch.... Him and that dopey idiot McCarthy cost us 3 points at Preston. I can't imagine it gives the back four much hope or encouragement knowing 9/10 he's gonna stay on his line when a cross comes in.

Good to see you showing such intelligent respect towards the team you claim to support.

• I don’t care if I get banned for this this but you bigred87, are a moron.

• Hey come on yorky that's really really nasty

• @yorkyblue said:
    I don’t care if I get banned for this this but you bigred87, are a moron.

Get banned.... you didnt even swear !!

• @bigred87 said:
    Hey come on yorky that's really really nasty

You've just called one of our own players a "dopey idiot" :)

• I'd probably get banned if i put what i really think of McCarthy....

• @bigred87 said:
    I'd probably get banned if i put what i really think of McCarthy....

Maybe just try and keep it positive?

• Just backed McCarthy to score

• You.may consider mccarthy a poor player (i don't) but 'idiot'? Calm yourself @bigred87

• edited January 2021

It's the calling someone else an idiot yet playing the hurt card at being called a moron that's ridiculous.

• Shame Admiral is not proven at this level.

• @bigred87 said:
    Rocky's not good enough for this league, punches when he should catch and doesn't come at all when he should punch.... Him and that dopey idiot McCarthy cost us 3 points at Preston. I can't imagine it gives the back four much hope or encouragement knowing 9/10 he's gonna stay on his line when a cross comes in.

You really are a cretin of the first water.

• Rocky proven yet again he's not good enough... McCarthy has been brilliant so far.

• @bigred87 said:
    Rocky proven yet again he's not good enough... McCarthy has been brilliant so far.

Fancy leading with a negative after that display. First time we've scored 3 all season.

• As i said the other 10 have been fantastic.....

• @bigred87 said:
    As i said the other 10 have been fantastic.....

You always lead with the negative though.

A fantastic half with only 1 bad moment yet that's your focus.

• Im in debate about our keeper not being good enough, he's fucked up again im obviously gonna mention it.. come on

• @OxfordBlue said:
    You really are a cretin of the first water.

This aged well..... weasel