Skip to content

FA Cup 3rd round quiz

LX1LX1
edited January 2021 in Football

I believe this is only the 11th time we have been in the 3rd round of the Cup. How many of the other ten 3rd round opponents can you name (without looking it up). Just put a number, no names.

edit..actually name them

Comments

• Grimsby Town

• Middlesbrough, Grimsby, Aston Villa

• Norwich, West Ham

• Presume we are counting Preston from the 3rd round battering the other year?

(Had to look that up ..1-5! Had forgotten the details totally)

• Was Hereford a 3rd round or a 2nd round...

• Grimsby 01, Boro 75, Villa 16, Fulham 02, Norwich 94 (feat. Mr Blobby), Wham '95, PNE 18.

The other three were rather more forgettable

• @Malone said:
    Was Hereford a 3rd round or a 2nd round...

Hereford 2011. One of the most disappointing 3rd round exits

• York City

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2021

York 86. Sorry there are 11 in fact so 2 more.

• Can’t believe no one has mentioned Middlesbrough.

There was a non league team a few years ago - can’t remember which one.

• Oops Lx did mention Middlesbrough. Getting old

Non league team came to me - stourbridge

• Got them all apart from Fulham, which even now I don’t remember at all

• Stourbridge 17, leading to a 4th rnd tie at Spurs.

There is one missing @bookertease?

• @bookertease said:
    Got them all apart from Fulham, which even now I don’t remember at all

Initial game was postponed, they equalized right at the end of a 2-2 draw, we lost the replay 1-0 at Craven Cottage. I think Vinni or Jason was sent off.

• That equaliser should have been disallowed for a shove on Ted Rogers by Barry Hayles

There you go, I've moaned about a referee

• @bookertease said:
    Got them all apart from Fulham, which even now I don’t remember at all

Year after the cup run and so unlucky not to put them out and potentially have another run.

• We’d just taken the lead before they equalized hadn’t we? And then they had some absurdly easy fourth and fifth round ties as I remember it. We could have easily had another cup run that season.

• @floyd said:
    We’d just taken the lead before they equalized hadn’t we? And then they had some absurdly easy fourth and fifth round ties as I remember it. We could have easily had another cup run that season.

Was a huge disappointment.
    I think only leading Tottenham away with a couple of mins to go is a more frustrating "what if" from the FA cup since.

• I thought someone had already mentioned Bradford. Remember that and the Norwich ones very well as they were both games I remember thinking beforehand we could win.

• @LX1 said:

@Malone said:
    Was Hereford a 3rd round or a 2nd round...

Hereford 2011. One of the most disappointing 3rd round exits

Surreal night. Pitch was a bog, about 2500 people there for the 3rd round proper, Manset and Stuart Fleetwood ran riot. Andy Sandell didn’t.

• I remember Bradford. Wasn't the game in doubt? Think the pitch had frozen and was a mess. Lost 2-0, total anti-climax.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    I remember Bradford. Wasn't the game in doubt? Think the pitch had frozen and was a mess. Lost 2-0, total anti-climax.

On a Sunday wasn't it? Which felt very unusual.
    Just about got the game on and then comfortably lost. Did a guy call Dreyer score at least one header from a set piece?

Waddle was playing.

• Yep, was definitely on a Sunday.

• Funny the bits you remember and don't.

Dreyer did score - both as well. But neither a header. Both from set pieces though. At least one of which was from Waddle (unclear if the first one was)

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/bradford.htm

• Wasn’t Des Hamilton playing and being scouted by lots of clubs, but Simmo was superb up against him in CM

• Scrub that just followed that link and Simmo wasn’t playing ?. Des Hamilton was though!

• Des Hamilton.
    A name that doesn't bring many memories to me!