Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• edited December 2020

@chairboyscentral said:

@bookertease said:
    Are we the first team in history to be bottom of the league after 20 games where the fans don’t think the team and manager are muppets?

Not at all. There will have been plenty of huge underdogs in the Champ and PL - Norwich last season, Sheffield United this (the vast majority are still firmly behind Wilder because they know he's one of the best managers in the world and they wouldn't have got anywhere near the top flight without him). I'm not sure I believe anyone truly wants Ainsworth out; if they do, they've not been paying attention to anything that's happened over the past six-and-a-half years.

Just a tad strong on Wilder there?

• @Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@bookertease said:
    Are we the first team in history to be bottom of the league after 20 games where the fans don’t think the team and manager are muppets?

Not at all. There will have been plenty of huge underdogs in the Champ and PL - Norwich last season, Sheffield United this (the vast majority are still firmly behind Wilder because they know he's one of the best managers in the world and they wouldn't have got anywhere near the top flight without him). I'm not sure I believe anyone truly wants Ainsworth out; if they do, they've not been paying attention to anything that's happened over the past six-and-a-half years.

Not at all. He took a bunch of, realistically, bottom half Championship players to the Premier League, playing a system no one had ever seen before. The reason they've fallen off this season is a combination of key injuries, losing Dean Henderson, and some recruitment that hasn't really worked out - all while being at a financial disadvantage already.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@bookertease said:

Not at all. He took a bunch of, realistically, bottom half Championship players to the Premier League, playing a system no one had ever seen before. The reason they've fallen off this season is a combination of key injuries, losing Dean Henderson, and some recruitment that hasn't really worked out - all while being at a financial disadvantage already.

But if he was truly one of the best in the world he'd have coped with all of that.

He's done an amazing feat. But a lot of managers are just the right person at the right time to get their club a great achievement.
    Take our Gareth!

• edited December 2020

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@bookertease said:

But if he was truly one of the best in the world he'd have coped with all of that.

He's done an amazing feat. But a lot of managers are just the right person at the right time to get their club a great achievement.
    Take our Gareth!

Even the best managers in the world aren't wizards! I agree he's the right fit at the right time - and even better because he's actually a Sheffield United fan - but he is an absolute genius.

• Not sure anyone was claiming that he was "the best in the world" were they? Personally I can't stand the bloke but I have to concede that he is a very very good manager.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Not sure anyone was claiming that he was "the best in the world" were they? Personally I can't stand the bloke but I have to concede that he is a very very good manager.

Chairboys C was claiming he was "one" of the best.
    Which is way too strong for me. But it's about opinions.

• With regard to the facebook group and social media in general isn't the whole point that facts, history and so on have no traction with loudmouthed self obsessed gobshites? Opinion just squirts out of them like hot lava, they tend to forget what they said once they've said it and indicating inconsistencies or errors is like shouting at cars - a pointless process. At least on the Gasroom the one line posters tend to vanish when we are winning.

• @Wendoverman said:
    With regard to the facebook group and social media in general isn't the whole point that facts, history and so on have no traction with loudmouthed self obsessed gobshites? Opinion just squirts out of them like hot lava, they tend to forget what they said once they've said it and indicating inconsistencies or errors is like shouting at cars - a pointless process. At least on the Gasroom the one line posters tend to vanish when we are winning.

Pretty much

• There was one guy who repeatedly ranted about the 5 year plan and wanted to see it as he himself "ran a business".

Not mentioned it since funnily enough since we perfectly achieved it.

• @Malone said:
    There was one guy who repeatedly ranted about the 5 year plan and wanted to see it as he himself "ran a business".

Plan executed. The strategy from this point forward is the question.....

• @perfidious_albion said:

@Malone said:
    There was one guy who repeatedly ranted about the 5 year plan and wanted to see it as he himself "ran a business".

Plan executed. The strategy from this point forward is the question.....

Yep. Ahead of everyone's schedule going up year 1. But even if we went down we should hopefully still have a little pot available even after all the ground improvements.

• @Malone said:

Take our Gareth!

Please don't.

• Everyone in Dover's hoping for a great escape at the moment

• Andy Lonergan starts for Stoke tonight. What a very strange career he’s had!

• Impressive interview on Football Focus. Arguably the most talented player to don the quarters this century.

• edited December 2020

• You on wrong thread @StrongestTeam ?

• @micra said:
    You on wrong thread @StrongestTeam ?

Yup.

• Kourtney Hause makes it 2-0 to ten-man Villa against Eze's Palace.

• If you haven't seen it you want to watch Eze's goal today. Absolutely superb.

• Superb!

• Rolando Aarons in talks with Huddersfield. Not sure he is Championship standard based on his performances on loan for us.

• Aarons showed glimpses of unbelievable skill when he was with us. I remember when he signed I trawled social media for comments from Newcastle fans and several said the same thing ‘amazing talent, made of biscuits’. About summed it up sadly.

• Aarons to huddersfield confirmed now