Skip to content

Vaccinating EPL players

Probaby a daft idea. But was wondering if it might be an idea to vaccinate premier league squads and staff. If there was a high take up and it proved effective it could send out a strong message worldwide to anti-vaxers. Plus if done quickly maybe would avoid the need for a break which might help the mental health of the rest of us.

Comments

• @Watford_Blue said:
    Probaby a daft idea. But was wondering if it might be an idea to vaccinate premier league squads and staff. If there was a high take up and it proved effective it could send out a strong message worldwide to anti-vaxers. Plus if done quickly maybe would avoid the need for a break which might help the mental health of the rest of us.

Unfortunately just as likely to be met with "Why are those lazy rich pricks jumping the queue" easy targets

• edited December 2020

At least one pro cycling team are doing it and I think Olympic teams will too, so I don't see why not if they can get hold of enough.

• I get you @Watford_Blue but the fact is whichever way you slice it...we've all just got to wait. My daughter (who will probably will get jabbed before me and her mum) would prefer all cinema staff and gym owners/users were fast tracked for HER mental health.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    At least one pro cycling team are doing it and I think Olympic teams will too, so I don't see why not if they can get hold of enough.

Well, we all know how easily those pro cycling teams full of asthmatics get hold of medicines...

• I was thinking about this type of thing when I saw Eastern European leaders being the first in their countries to be vaccinated. Seemed a bit corrupt to me but if you think about this ludicrous anti vax stuff maybe it works.

The pro cycling bit made me laugh @chairboyscentral . Of course they'd be first on this. Lance Armstrong's sorting out the logistics.

I still think pro football should be paused for January.

• After we've got another three points against 'Boro though, eh @Right_in_the_Middle if only to irritate Mr Swann.

• What about teachers getting jabbed first??? My condolences to anyone with kids in full time education! I know this pandemic is 'unprecedented' but the government have had a year of this and still seem unable to make a single logical and coherent decision (that lasts longer than 48 hours!). If anyone still has confidence in this shower with a particularly difficult 2021 'transition' ahead of us...I salute your optimism!

• My daughter is a teacher and still goes in to look after the kids of key workers. I'm waiting with dread the day she tells me she has tested positive!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    My daughter is a teacher and still goes in to look after the kids of key workers. I'm waiting with dread the day she tells me she has tested positive!

Absolutely, the schools never actually closed.

• I can come up with a long list of people that should be vaccinated before EFL and EPL players.
    They are already subject to some excellent protection and protocols and if they avoid sex parties and large gatherings should be fine. As for appeasing anti-vax’ers nothing will appease those people.

• In the world of Talk Radio, teachers have all been sat on their arses for 10 months courtesy of the public purse. The teachers I know have been working like crazy to deliver education to kids and if schooling is as important as the Government says it is, they should all be offered vaccines ASAP.

• And pay rises.

• @arnos_grove said:
    In the world of Talk Radio, teachers have all been sat on their arses for 10 months courtesy of the public purse. The teachers I know have been working like crazy to deliver education to kids and if schooling is as important as the Government says it is, they should all be offered vaccines ASAP.

If anything they've been doing double the work rather than less, they have to teach lessons for those in, or able to connect via the internet, and provide, and in some cases deliver, work for those at home with no resources. There was also a half arsed attempt to get them to carry out testing with no extra funding staff or time and very little support.

• And free crisps!

• @drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

I do enjoy the pay rise argument. I saw one yesterday where someone was arguing for £3000 one off payment to all nhs staff and a pay rise. £4.2billion and then a pay rise. Cool.
    I’ve been working all the hours since March. Pay rise for me too from the public purse for me doing my job.

• I hear that the PFA have agreed to fund twice weekly Covid test for all players in the EFL, should certainly help

As for vaccinations there are many more pressing cases than relatively fir and healthy young men...

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

I do enjoy the pay rise argument. I saw one yesterday where someone was arguing for £3000 one off payment to all nhs staff and a pay rise. £4.2billion and then a pay rise. Cool.
    I’ve been working all the hours since March. Pay rise for me too from the public purse for me doing my job.

Yeah I could sense your enjoyment dripping from every word of that happy go lucky post

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I hear that the PFA have agreed to fund twice weekly Covid test for all players in the EFL, should certainly help

These are, I think, the lateral flow tests. You’d be as well off flipping a coin with the accuracy of these.

And as for the benefit of Covid protocols in elite sport, the EPL in the recent tests shows 40 positive cases in around 2000 tests. 1 in 50! Which is the same as the recently reported high rate in the general public. So are the special protocols working and if not should the sport be suspended in the same way as other “non essential” services?

@drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if it's risking your life every day being paid a pittance in a public sector job, then yeah, I'd support you in that too.

Economies have inputs and outputs and there's not a single input that a national economy can invest in to have a bigger, future output than education. The problem is that our entire democratic system rewards governments for short termism. Governments of any neo-liberal party would rather not invest in education when it's likely to start paying off after they're out of office, no matter how much it will pay off.

@drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

We were paying people to go to the pub a few weeks back.

• Teachers who wanted to switch to online lessons were being threatened with the law by King Boz if they did not accept pupils back one day and within 24 hours were told to sort out online teaching because all schools were being closed. Nurses and doctors (who wear masks to stop infection because they stop infection you dozy maskless buffoons) ignored by the Cummings Administration and these 'ignore experts' clowns for so long have been treated appallingly. I've been working long hours as well, but no-one's life or future prospects depend on me thank Christ. (on a brighter note I've heard on one area where the vaccine has started to arrive NHS managers who have been working at home since the first day a nasty germ turned up...are now falling over themselves to make sure they get the jab early...'I'm a key worker...let me though...')

• We're still paying for those clowns running the country.

@drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

Brave posting this sort of thing. Never going to go down well.
    But clearly the cost of whacking everyone's pay up isn't going to be found easily to say the least. Especially when billions have already been booted into furlough etc

• @Wendoverman Mostly I am pleased that no-ones life depends on you ("Can get distracted by crisps") but there is part of me that thinks it would be fun.

• I have to feed the dog @our_frank it's not like I have no responsibilities but yes, on the whole you are right to be pleased/relieved.

• @Wendoverman said:
    on a brighter note I've heard on one area where the vaccine has started to arrive NHS managers who have been working at home since the first day a nasty germ turned up...are now falling over themselves to make sure they get the jab early...'I'm a key worker...let me though...'

My partner is a NHS manager and has been carrying out quite a lot of work at home. She has also given up weekends and Xmas time off to volunteer shifts in Covid wards. Although not frontline all the time staff like her need protecting, and maybe through vaccination more will be able to assist their frontline colleagues.

• Laurence Fox got a political party out of it and probably lots of twitter followers @Malone although I suspect he won't be doing any more side-kick to working class detective TV jobs for a while.

• point taken @carrickblue people I know are lower down the chain and perhaps more cynical...

@drcongo said:
    And pay rises.

Just for some context, contracts worth £17.3 billion were agreed to tackle coronavirus without a competitive tender. Many of these contracts had unreported and significant potential conflicts of interest. Many of these contracts spectacularly failed to deliver on what was required of them, leaving us out of pocket and unprepared. But at least some wealthy Tories got a cheeky windfall! Every cloud, eh?

Out of interest, while working all the hours since March, how many 14 hour shifts have you completed for little over the minimum wage where you've had to sit and hold the hand of patients as they die while scared and separated from their loved ones? Still, I understand we're starting clapping for carers again tonight, so I'm sure they'll be fine to crack on.

• Ask a group of 8 years olds who gets paid most and you will get answers like doctors, nurses, teachers, policemen and women, wendoverman, bus drivers, etc. Ie the people who make our lives work for the better.

In the middle of the pandemic these are the very people we rely on to basically keep us alive and sane.

You do wonder why in any sane society people who bet using other people’s money to make more money (for example) are revered by grown ups.

In a moment of idle thought it would be nice to think that we as a society come to realise just how much damage our worship of what is basically a concept actually causes.

Please stop reading here if you don’t like profanities.

We spent 10 fucking years trampling over the lives of everyone who didn’t meet our governments ideas of what a useful member of society was and took away money from all of the services out there to help people in need. Why? To save a few measly billion pounds. We were sold this great austerity deal on the basis that there was no way we as a country could afford not to save it.

Fast forward a few months and we spaffed more than a few billion pounds up the wall on, for example, a test a trace system that was crap, never worked and now seems to have vanished.

Don’t get me wrong, throwing money at this is the right thing to do but it shows what a sham the last 10 years have been and just how fluid the concept of money actually is.

Apologies rant over