Skip to content

Stand Alone Prediction Competition for the FA Cup

Here is what I hope will be a bit of fun.

There will be points for Score Prediction, Wycombe Scorers and which Round we will reach.

Please first predict which round we will reach. In this competition Goalscorer predictions can be altered up to kick off if your prediction is not named as starting or on the bench.

Round prediction Points:

10 points for getting it right.
Minus two for every round we don't make up to your prediction.
If we progress beyond the round you predict, your are relegated to the subsidary 'Europa League' competition.
All predictions in the Champions League must be consistent - your can't predict a winning score in a round which you have said we will be knocked out or a losing score in a round beyond which you have predicted we will progress.

Match Result Points
(Similar to @DevC's system but tweaked)
5 points for correct team to win in normal time or extra time.
10 points for predicting a draw after extra time.
2 additional points for predicting a win on penalties.

Plus 5 points for correct winning margin and two additional points if the score prediction is accurate
Minus 1 point for every goal difference between the goal margin and your prediction.

Goalscorer Points

5 points for correct prediction of a Wycombe goalscorer - with 2 additional points if they are not named on the club website as a forward. Two additional points for anyone who scores as a sub. 5 points for the correct prediction of an own goal. 3 points for any opposition goalscorer correctly named
3 points for any opposition goalscorer.

1 point for an assist by any player predicted as a goalscorer.

10 bonus points for all goalscorers correct.

Predictions for the Preston game appreciated in the following form:

Wycombe to reach Round 5

Wycombe 2 (Horseman, Delaney) Preston 1 (Ainsworth)

Comments

• Wycombe to win FA Cup

Wycombe 0 Preston 0 (Wycombe win on pens)

• Wycombe 0-2 Preston

• When I said "bit of fun" I should have guessed what dreams would take flight.

@LX1 - I am with you all the way in spirit.

@bigred87 - you have an opportunity to name the Preston goalscorers if you wish and that does count as a Round 3 prediction.

Open to all for predictions - no need to have participated previously.

• Wycombe to reach round 4
    Wycombe 1 (McLeary) Preston 1 (Barkhuizen) Wycombe win on pens

• Wycombe go out in round 3. Wycombe 0 Preston 2 (Barkhuizen, Johnson)

• Wycombe to reach semi-finals

Wycombe 3 - 2 Preston Fred, Parker, Samuel

• Wycombe to reach round 4 and FA Cup cancelled for 20/21.

Wycombe 0-0 Preston

Do penalties, after extra time count in the predictions or goal scorers.

• @wwfcblue said:
    Wycombe to reach round 4 and FA Cup cancelled for 20/21.

Wycombe 0-0 Preston

Do penalties, after extra time count in the predictions or goal scorers.

Thanks for the request for clarification @wwfcblue : Penalties don't count for goalscorer's points, goals in extra time do count.

• Do you have in mind the opportunity to concentrate on the league @wwfcblue when you speculate on the possibility of the FA Cup being terminated after the third round?

• Wycombe 0 - 3 Preston (Barkhuzien, Potts, Maguire)

• @micra said:
    Do you have in mind the opportunity to concentrate on the league @wwfcblue when you speculate on the possibility of the FA Cup being terminated after the third round?

I think we might have all sport postponed by the end of the month.

• @wwfcblue said:

@micra said:
    Do you have in mind the opportunity to concentrate on the league @wwfcblue when you speculate on the possibility of the FA Cup being terminated after the third round?

Looking likely that it will be a full lockdown sooner rather than later?

• @wwfcblue said:

@micra said:

I think stopping Premier and Championship football may actually have a adverse effect on the spread of the virus. Players are regularly checked so they are unlikely to have any significant effect on the spread of the virus.

The key message in any lockdown is "stay at home". I think people are more likely to stay at home if there is live sport on the TV such as football, horse racing, egg chasing, snooker etc. To simply expect people to sit patiently indoors watching TV repeats for the next three months is unrealistic.

• @mooneyman said:

@wwfcblue said:

@micra said:

I think stopping Premier and Championship football may actually have a adverse effect on the spread of the virus. Players are regularly checked so they are unlikely to have any significant effect on the spread of the virus.

The key message in any lockdown is "stay at home". I think people are more likely to stay at home if there is live sport on the TV such as football, horse racing, egg chasing, snooker etc. To simply expect people to sit patiently indoors watching TV repeats for the next three months is unrealistic.

I think any lockdown without live sport would be more difficult for about 10% of the population. While players and senior management get tested, what about the scores of other people who are attending games. At each Wycombe game I reckon you have in excess of 100 people within the ground and probably not even a half of those are getting tested.

I reckon you might even get the majority of live sport postponed at 8pm tonight, if not all of it in the UK.

• Rd3 exit (on penalties)
    Wyc 1 (Uche) Preston 1 (Maguire)

• Wycombe 1 (Horgan) Preston 2 (Maguire, Barkhuizen)

• Wycombe 1 Preston 0 uche

• Maguire and Sinclair

• Wycombe 1 (kashket) Preston 1 (McGuire)

Wycombe lose on penalties and exit in the 3rd round

• Wycombe Wanderers 2 (McCarthy, Kashket) Preston North End 2 (Harrop, Ainsworth)
    PNE win on penalties

• Wycombe to reach the 5th Round

Wycombe 3 (Knight, McCleary, Akinfenwa) Preston 1 (D Johnson)

Nothing quite like optimism.

• And nothing like pessimism to balance things...

Wycombe 0 Preston 2

Knocked out in 3rd Round (again)

• Wycombe 2 (Uche, McCleary) PNE 1

• @micra said:
    Wycombe 2 (Uche, McCleary) PNE 1

Do you have a prediction as to which round we will reach @micra?

• May I wait to see who we’re drawn against?!

• Confession time. I’ve just read your OP properly for the first time. I’ll say 5th round. Do points count towards the the league tables?

• Sorry @micra - that wasn't in the plan.

• Wycombe 2 PNE 1. Uche and tafazoli