Skip to content

International Premier League Striker signs...

Comments

• Matt Cecil must post on the gasroom now...in fact he could be @Wanderers82

What a twist!

• @Wanderers82 said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Matt Cecil has done so much for our club and he has very much been a conduit between the old ownership model and that of today.
    He is a great guy and I just cannot believe that anyone could pick holes in his professionalism because of such a trivial matter as this. Just unbelievable.

not doubting he has done an unbelievable job for us , I also work in media and we purposely would not mislead our clients as eventually people stop believing what is been written, the way they headline was written was that we were getting a prem striker on loan- he has not even played for their 1st team...come on even you must agree how misleading the headline was ?

Come on. Just admit you were suckered in by a factually correct but slightly cheeky teaser message. It was your mind that went to the wrong conclusion.
    Just out of interest who did you think we were signing? How far in to an alternate reality did you go?

• To be fair @Wanderers82 does come across exactly like I expect someone who works in the media and is a part time referee to be like.

• I assume that's why 'This is garbage...' usually drops on the matchday thread just before the teams come out for the second half. :smiley:

• Don't read the Daily Express people...the headlines usually bear no resemblance to the story. I regularly click on 'Piers Morgan to leave GMB' to find out he's just gone to America to appear on Fox News and be interviewed about Trump for two weeks,

• Don’t forget, ‘works in the media’ is a pretty wide term. Technically, I worked in the media when I used to deliver newspapers to the residents of Tyzack Road!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The headlines bear no resemblance to the story and the story bears no resemblance to reality.

It’s good for the latest Diana news though so
    I’m told.

• edited January 2021

@Wanderers82 said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Matt Cecil has done so much for our club and he has very much been a conduit between the old ownership model and that of today.
    He is a great guy and I just cannot believe that anyone could pick holes in his professionalism because of such a trivial matter as this. Just unbelievable.

not doubting he has done an unbelievable job for us , I also work in media and we purposely would not mislead our clients as eventually people stop believing what is been written, the way they headline was written was that we were getting a prem striker on loan- he has not even played for their 1st team...come on even you must agree how misleading the headline was ?

I take your point but is it not the case that "we" tend to, and should, set our expectations of accuracy and of the meaning of information based on past experience of the source? Thus, we don't expect light-hearted plays on words in letters from medical practitioners and do expect an intent to mislead in the way prices are described in furniture adverts.

One man's purposeful misleading is another's good-humoured tease. Tweets like this are, I suggest, harmless good fun in a sphere of life that should not be desperately serious but instead should allow for the possibility of light-hearted escapism. As others have written, anyone expecting anything significantly different from what was ultimately announced to the extent that they got a bit cross about the reality might perhaps look inwards for the source of their discontent.

• @bookertease said:
    To be fair @Wanderers82 does come across exactly like I expect someone who works in the media and is a part time referee to be like.

Probably one of those irritating referees who continually blows his whistle

• @Wanderers82 You might find this Twitter account useful: https://twitter.com/SavedYouAClick

• I wonder if mr wanderers82 would have preferred

"Chap in a premier league youth team who hasn't scored any goals, signs".

Not quite the same engaging style is it?

• Intrigued to hear that you work in the media Wanderers82 and would love to know why the company you work for would regard the tweet in question as ‘deliberately misleading’. I am waiting for you to reveal if you have actually seen our new signing play or writing him off because he is not a top PL striker.

• I think we should double down on the cheeky headlines. It would make the signings all the more fun.

'Wycombe sign winger from European Cup semi-finalists' (Horgan - Hibs made the semis in 1955-56)

'Bayern's conquerors sell key player to Chairboys' (Uche - Hearts beat Bayern 1-0 in the first leg of the UEFA quarters in 1988-89)

'Wycombe grab defender from FA Cup finalists' (Taffs - Hull played Arsenal in the final a few years back).

• @Malone said:
    I wonder if mr wanderers82 would have preferred

"Chap in a premier league youth team who hasn't scored any goals, signs".

Not quite the same engaging style is it?

I get the feeling he's more of a 'Repent! The End is Nigh!" kind of guy. Probably spent his Saturday afternoons walking up and down Wycombe High Street with that on a placard before lockdown forced him to spend his time bemoaning our first half form and substandard refereeing.

• @aloysius said:
    Does he play off Ikpeazu or does he play instead of Ikpeazu when Uche isn't available?

Gareth answered my question in the official preview of the PNE match:

“Adi scores goals that we haven’t been scoring: those ones in between the sticks, in front of goal, where we create chances but haven’t had that instinctive striker sticking them away.”

So he plays instead of Kashket, alongside Uche. I'm excited to see this, hopefully on Saturday...

• Have we been creating chances that people are regularly missing?

• Can’t think of many clear cut instinctive chances Scotty has been missing.

• Couple of potential game-changers against QPR and PNE

• edited January 2021

@perfidious_albion said:
    Can’t think of many clear cut instinctive chances Scotty has been missing.

Think harder brother. He's been very non Kashket like for both the above examples and a few others.

Apart from his glut of chances you could probably count the other sitter chances on one hand between the rest of the squad. From a couple to Bayo to Horgan on the first day etc.

@chairboyscentral would probably have the list to mind a lot better than anyone but I'm not sure if he's reigned his gasrooming down recently for whatever reason?

• Whether the issue is chance creation or taking those chances is the point of tension - I still think it is the former, but also that we have the tools to solve it to a certain degree, with Mehmeti coming on, and the Free Freeman movement still a thing.

• I thought that too - then remembered everything our club tweet has waves of drones making their little comments directly in response there.

So he probably didn't even see our Mr82.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Nice to see Matt Cecil trolling @Wanderers82 on Twitter right now!

https://twitter.com/wwfcofficial/status/1347267997275213824

haha very good

• edited January 2021

Everyone on the Twitter thread is saying Josh Knight, and Leicestershire Live are reporting that too.

Matt Cecil is a club treasure.

• It was in the press early this week as done, so I'd genuinely forgotten they were just revealing it officially!

• We don't deserve our media team.

• tbf the headline is a much better one than the last ...

• Agreed it’s creation for chances in front of the sticks that is the question. If folk can only think of two or three misses that proves the point.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Agreed it’s creation for chances in front of the sticks that is the question. If folk can only think of two or three misses that proves the point.

@chairboyscentral posted a list of 8 or so in the Bristol City thread I think. There’s been more since. The stats show were scoring about half the goals we should have.