Skip to content

International Premier League Striker signs...

Comments

• @Malone said:
    The headlines are already written for when he scores his first goal winning us our next game....Admiral Whacka

As in the Austrian team Admira Wacker? Not sure I quite get the reference.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@Malone said:
    The headlines are already written for when he scores his first goal winning us our next game....Admiral Whacka

Well his name is Admiral which is close to Admira.
    And Wacker is a word very similar to our slang word Whacker.
    Whack in this sense could mean whack a few goals or indeed whack the opposition.

So i give you Admiral Whacker.

• @Malone

Whack in this sense could mean whack a few goals or indeed whack the opposition.

A stretch too far I fear.

“Admiral sinks QPR with second half cannonade”

I know puns are an acquired taste but he does have a sub-editor’s dream of a name.

And I hope he does well. He’s untested at this level but I’m sure he’s been considered carefully by our excellent management.

• @Malone said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@Malone said:

I wasn't completely losing it then! I think that a reference to a middling Austrian team might be a cultural reference too far for most people.

• @JohnBoy said:
    why on earth would anyone write off a player that’s yet to even play for us.

If I didn’t know full well that this was untrue, I’d think you were new to the ways of the Gasroom.

• God knows why some people are getting their knickers in a twist about one tweet. I can’t see anything wrong with it myself. And for those that didn’t think it hit the mark, it is worth pausing to remember the media guys have been punching well above their weight for years. Even when the club was in the toilet 5-6 years ago we had one of the best media outputs of any club outside the premier league.

• I’m just pleased to see that we have at least got 1x player in nice and early, often things do drag on until quite late in the month in January for many clubs. Gaz and Dobbo have identified a target and got him.

• These sort of tongue-in-cheek tweets or headlines are rather the modus operandi for the club's media operation, aren't they? I've always rather enjoyed them for that. Perhaps the issue is that, now we've reached the present - exalted - level, it's a bit more tempting to think it might actually be true when we know in our hearts that it won't be and so the likes of @Wanderers82 suffer greater than usual disappointment.

• Won't be long before he earns his stripes

• @Username said:
    The fact he could only attract a league 2 loan club is the worrying part for me

Weren't we in L2 when we got Eze?

• Welcome to the club Admiral hope we have a found another gem.

• @Glenactico said:
    God knows why some people are getting their knickers in a twist about one tweet. I can’t see anything wrong with it myself. And for those that didn’t think it hit the mark, it is worth pausing to remember the media guys have been punching well above their weight for years. Even when the club was in the toilet 5-6 years ago we had one of the best media outputs of any club outside the premier league.

This is so true. I deal with club media guys every week and believe me, Matt Cecil is one of the best. His work load is prodigious and always of the highest quality.
    He wrote a headline (‘International striker from the Premier League’) that was factually correct and completely acceptable.

• @glasshalffull said:

@Glenactico said:
    God knows why some people are getting their knickers in a twist about one tweet. I can’t see anything wrong with it myself. And for those that didn’t think it hit the mark, it is worth pausing to remember the media guys have been punching well above their weight for years. Even when the club was in the toilet 5-6 years ago we had one of the best media outputs of any club outside the premier league.

This is so true. I deal with club media guys every week and believe me, Matt Cecil is one of the best. His work load is prodigious and always of the highest quality.
    He wrote a headline (‘International striker from the Premier League’) that was factually correct and completely acceptable.

He also is firmly anchored from the times when the club wasn't sure if it could afford the next bit of basic printing and knows his input is important commercially. If it helps sells an Akinfenwa shirt to someone in Mexico then all good. I found it amusing, people don't need to follow every tweet like it's season defining if they don't want to, they'll (hopefully) soon see the guy on teamsheets.

• The social media output from the club is generally top class (apart from the horrible WycPicks adverts).
    I love the fact that yesterdays post annoyed a few people and in all honesty the annoyance has to be more around them leaping to the wrong conclusion rather than anything in the post.

Keep going Matt and the rest of the club team.

• Which people did it annoy apart from Wanderers82?

• As others have stated, it was factually correct. If some took it that we were signing a Son/Kane/Rashford level of player, then I feel sympathetic to their hopes but would suggest a reality check is needed. Only took one click to obtain, said reality check and it, on it's own my or may not be season defining. I hope the the former btw.

• Perfectly acceptable media headline, it’s a ‘carrot’ to pull the potential reader into the article. Job done. As others have said Matt C had been Championship standard for a while.

• Does Admiral outrank the Generals?

Maybe he should have gone to Fleetwood.

• I don't have Twitter so I just reacted to the reaction...

• Matt Cecil has done so much for our club and he has very much been a conduit between the old ownership model and that of today.
    He is a great guy and I just cannot believe that anyone could pick holes in his professionalism because of such a trivial matter as this. Just unbelievable.

• Yeah, it's just one person

Pretty funny obviously, but not worth getting your knickers in a twist over

• edited January 2021

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Matt Cecil has done so much for our club and he has very much been a conduit between the old ownership model and that of today.
    He is a great guy and I just cannot believe that anyone could pick holes in his professionalism because of such a trivial matter as this. Just unbelievable.

Hear hear.

• Matt Cecil is way above Championship level at his job. We are extremely fortunate he’s not gone to work elsewhere.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Matt Cecil is way above Championship level at his job. We are extremely fortunate he’s not gone to work elsewhere.

Didn’t he go to The Franchise for 5 minutes as a youngster? You learn from your mistakes!

• I don't follow twitter, so don't understand all the fuss. I thought it's purpose was to generate an interest in something that was otherwise not particularly note worthy?
    TBH when I saw the thread title here it's punchline was entirely predictable so I was taken in by "the media hype" in the slightest.
    Maybe @Wanderers82 was just having a bad day to get so excited by click bait that he was disappointed when reality didn't match his expectation.
    Must be a life of hard knocks if you start believing, and getting overly excited by, the headlines before reading the article and finding out the truth is somewhat different. Even better would be to do some research and investigate the facts behind the article then you might be able to make a valid observation.
    Just a thought...

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Matt Cecil has done so much for our club and he has very much been a conduit between the old ownership model and that of today.

not doubting he has done an unbelievable job for us , I also work in media and we purposely would not mislead our clients as eventually people stop believing what is been written, the way they headline was written was that we were getting a prem striker on loan- he has not even played for their 1st team...come on even you must agree how misleading the headline was ?

• The headline written on the gas room is not what was tweeted word for word.

This is the tweet:

“Slow start to the week eh...
    Let's welcome an international striker from the Premier League into the building then!”

There is nothing misleading about that tweet and a little research first would have helped you before commenting?

Perhaps you may need to consider your de facto positioning that “players are not good enough because they haven’t done it at their home clubs or this level,” As not being a well thought through position.

There is plenty of evidence available to the contrary. Adeniran and Uche are two who you were not so fussed on but seem to be doing ok thus far.

The best example of a youngster doing it before being known I can think of is Jermaine Defoe at Bournemouth.

We have had our fair share of unknowns who’ve excelled e.g. Nathan Tyson, Stephen Taylor, Alfie Mawson, Eberechi Eze to name but a few.

What about Rhian Brewster last year at Swansea? I’m sure there are 100s of others who’ve excelled and probably those who have not.

• I think some folk on the Gasroom need to revisit the "sense of humor factory" or indeed get one in the first place! Well done Matt Cecil for a slightly teasing and factually accurate headline! Also, huge welcome to Admiral.

• edited January 2021

@Wanderers82 so you're a qualified referee who works in the media?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Wanderers82 so you're a qualified referee who works in the media?

indeed I am , really not that difficult to juggle. matches are weekend or night KO during the week...thanks for taking an interest