Skip to content

Alan Swann Peterborough ‘journalist’ - Again!!!

124»

Comments

• One voter said: "The atmosphere in Peterborough is draining.

"You feel totally isolated from the rest of the world and life in general, as though everything else is going on and you’re not part of it as you’re stuck in this dump."

• "If you go down to the local stagnant pond, even the Swanns look bitter and dejected."

• +1000 000 for that, @shev.

Very entertaining quotes in the article. I see Aylesbury made it to number 18.

• I had to kill 4 hours in Peterborough last summer. As pubs etc were closed I just had a walk about the north of the city. I know every town or city has its grim parts but you’d expect in that time to find something vaguely pleasant.

The most modern and cheerful looking building was the prison.

Plus I got lost trying to get back to where I’d started and ended up walking alongside the grass bank of a dual carriageway like Alan Partridge (but not singing Goldfinger or asking petrol station workers what time they finished).

• edited January 2021

I remember going with high hopes expecting a charming historic town as Catherine of Aragon is buried in the Cathedral. Seem to recall I understood why he sent her to live round there and why she hated it so much. Peterborough or the Executioner;s block? hmmmmm

• On the positive side there used to be a very fine Thai restaurant cum brewery 5 minutes from the station.

And an excellent pub on the way to the ground that you had to knock on the door and say you knew Mad Mike (or someone like that) to be allowed in.

But that aside...

• I am sure Wycombe Wanderers had something to do with the vote, after all Wycombe can only stink out the Championship. Peterborough are superior and stinking out the whole country!

• @bookertease said:
    On the positive side there used to be a very fine Thai restaurant cum brewery 5 minutes from the station.

This could definitely do with a comma or two.

• It is Peterborough....

(But having just re-read it, indeed!)

• edited January 2021

@Malone said:

@bookertease said:
    On the positive side there used to be a very fine Thai restaurant cum brewery 5 minutes from the station.

This could definitely do with a comma or two.

Hyphens would be preferable, a Thai restaurant-cum-brewery sounds rather more appealing.

• This is it

https://www.thebrewery-tap.com/

Not been for about 5 years but was good

• Phew. Was worried about some people googling those words together.