Skip to content

Match day thread: Middlesbrough

Comments

• No it won't. This lot of got far too much about them to let their heads drop like that.

We're still well in this game. Need to weather this storm and get at them again

• At least with having scored early it's now only 1-2. Otherwise we'd now be chasing an almost lost cause.
    Nearly 2-2 and then nearly 1-3 as I type ...

• Luckily this team believe in themselves more than most of us do.

• Absolutely. We're playing a good side but we're well in this and have shown we can cause them problems as well

Wouldn't be surprised to see Adeniran come on for Mehmeti

• Still in it. A couple of sequences of excellent attacking play from us already. We can get something out of this game. Mehmeti great attacking sense but sometimes needs to just get rid!

• Yeah, no need to panic, they're a good opposition, we mostly need to be a bit cleverer.

• Any changes in personnel at half time?
    I wouldn’t personally.

• Not out of it yet but Warnock clearly has them well drilled and they are giving us a lot to think about. We need to find a way of getting the likes of McCleary more involved

• Hugely disappointed to be behind at half-time but don’t mean to suggest Boro don’t deserve it. We seemed to drop off several levels after about twenty minutes just as they went up a few.

• Yes, not been involved much so far.

• Middlesbrough are easily the best team weve faced for a few weeks I think, but were still in it !

How good does Uche look !?

• I admire the confidence of the formation but we seem to have gone from one extreme to another. Instead of 4141 we should be 4231 with Adeniran alongside Thompson and Mehmeti on the bench. I know he's the new Gasroom favourite but I just see an inexperienced player whose first touch has deserted him today. Two major mistakes and a very poor foul for the booking.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Middlesbrough are easily the best team weve faced for a few weeks I think, but were still in it !

How good does Uche look !?

Very!

• Uche looks fabulous! Need to get him on the ball as much as poss.

Boro impressive though and well worth their lead. Mehmeti and Thompson struggling today. Perhaps an opportunity for Adeniran?

• Boro look a decent side. This is probably the sort of game I was expecting to see a lot more of this season.

But we’ve got the players to create things going forwards so we aren’t out of it if we can get forward a little more.

But Uche is impressive when he’s got involved. If we can hold it to 2-1 with 20 minutes left and throw Bayo on to join him it could be fun.

(And just seen Eze score a cracking goal as I was typing this)

• Thompson certainly needs some help in the middle.

• Adeniran for Memheti is the only obvious one. Boro have done a great job of making our attacking midfielders play defense and keeping McCleary out of the game almost entirely.

• @aloysius said:
    I admire the confidence of the formation but we seem to have gone from one extreme to another. Instead of 4141 we should be 4231 with Adeniran alongside Thompson and Mehmeti on the bench. I know he's the new Gasroom favourite but I just see an inexperienced player whose first touch has deserted him today. Two major mistakes and a very poor foul for the booking.

Mehmeti was brilliant on Tuesday and fully earned his start. He's been caught out twice in the middle of the park today but still looks threatening going forward - not quite his game and maybe Adeniran would be a better option to pack out the midfield but Mehmeti doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry.

• One of the best teams we’ve played this season. I suspect they will be In the top 6 come the final league positions.
    Mehmeti will learn a lot from today’s first half.
    Allsop would never have got to that cross with Thompson in his way and Browne.
    Looking a man light in midfield at the minute, particularly with their centre half’s really bringing the ball out.
    Nervous about how much running Uche is having to do.

• Psychologically, might not be great to withdraw Mehmeti on 45 but agree Adeniran the obvious replacement.

• Gmac and wheels need to get into it a bit more. Equaliser and then late penalty to snatch win anyone?

• @aloysius said:
    I admire the confidence of the formation but we seem to have gone from one extreme to another. Instead of 4141 we should be 4231 with Adeniran alongside Thompson and Mehmeti on the bench. I know he's the new Gasroom favourite but I just see an inexperienced player whose first touch has deserted him today. Two major mistakes and a very poor foul for the booking.

He's a great prospect and has been a highlight of a not great season. He's obviously not the finished article yet and he isn't playing because he's a gasroom favourite. He'll know what he's done, might come off at half time but might create something out of nothing. I don't think Adeniran has shown much in recent games not that he's had many minutes. Thought Horgan was doing a bit better getting involved in things that aren't really his game whereas Wheeler and McCleary haven't offered much.

• They certainly are drilled well.
    The second their keeper has the ball the two centre backs split very wide and the two full backs are hugging the touchline high up.

Our wide players haven't had a snifty and not the game for Mehmeti. Although no-one could have known it'd pan out that way before hand.

Still - we're well in this. Hopefully we make a gamechanging tweak at half time as it hasn't worked for the last 25mins.

• What would your tweaks be @Malone ?

• @micra said:
    What would your tweaks be @Malone ?

If Adneiran is in any sort of fitness get him into that centre midfield.
    Probably in a two with Thompson.

Maybe Horgan central and then Wheeler can work it out wide right.

• Gmac has a habit of being anonymous and then suddenly upping his game. Need some corners amd free kicks.

• Is it just me or do the lights seem to be not on full brightness?

• McCleary is just class. Every time he gets the ball out wide, we create something.

• Ikpeazu, surrounded by 3 on the edge of the box, still gets it out of his feet and gets a pass off, from which we win a corner.

• Taf’s header got closer every replay.