Skip to content

Match day thread: Cardiff

1234568»

Comments

• @floyd People on here have been dismissive of Barnsley since our game at Oakwell, but I was very impressed with them. They worked harder than we did and gave us absolutely no time on the ball. I also thought they had a number of talented players - Styles, Mowatt and Woodrow in particular.

We were awful that night, but as with Cardiff last night, you have to ask how much of that poor performance was down to the opposition not allowing any sort of foothold. I can't say I'm surprised to see that they are 8th, though I concede that it would be an achievement to be there or better at the end of the season.

• It's a theme each week about how "poor" the opposition are.
    Chances are it is us making them look so!

• I reckon I agree with about 95% of what @our_frank posts but Barnsley stank the place out when we played them

• @our_frank said:
    @floyd People on here have been dismissive of Barnsley since our game at Oakwell, but I was very impressed with them. They worked harder than we did and gave us absolutely no time on the ball. I also thought they had a number of talented players - Styles, Mowatt and Woodrow in particular.

We were awful that night, but as with Cardiff last night, you have to ask how much of that poor performance was down to the opposition not allowing any sort of foothold. I can't say I'm surprised to see that they are 8th, though I concede that it would be an achievement to be there or better at the end of the season.

Perhaps you’re right, they certainly worked harder than us. It was one of the few times we’ve looked ‘out-thought and out-fought,’ under GA. But on the other hand they were dismantled by Bournemouth a few days earlier, while we showed absolutely no desire (or ability) to cause them any problems.

I admire what Barnsley have done, they, Rotherham and even Brentford are the sort of blueprint we should be trying to follow.

• The interesting thing about last nights game was that we had 6 players in the starting 11 who were not part of the promotion winning squad, with another on the bench (Adeniran).

Gareth and Dobbo have done a great job getting those seven bedded into the squad and managing the evolution of the team to start to get to grip with the Championship.

I certainly believe we can stay up, especially with a few more acquisitions next month.

• Have we mentioned Bayo's sweet lay-off that Samuel should have buried for Number 3?. If not...I just have...impact sub indeed.

• @floyd said:

@our_frank said:
    @floyd People on here have been dismissive of Barnsley since our game at Oakwell, but I was very impressed with them. They worked harder than we did and gave us absolutely no time on the ball. I also thought they had a number of talented players - Styles, Mowatt and Woodrow in particular.

Perhaps you’re right, they certainly worked harder than us. It was one of the few times we’ve looked ‘out-thought and out-fought,’ under GA. But on the other hand they were dismantled by Bournemouth a few days earlier, while we showed absolutely no desire (or ability) to cause them any problems.

I admire what Barnsley have done, they, Rotherham and even Brentford are the sort of blueprint we should be trying to follow.

Barnsley's owners have a net worth of approx $9.1 billion, we'd do well to emulate that!!

(I agree with your point and am being deliberately obtuse)

• @Wendoverman said:
    Have we mentioned Bayo's sweet lay-off that Samuel should have buried for Number 3?. If not...I just have...impact sub indeed.

Should’ve kept it in the corner, they scored from their next possession.

• I've given up on Samuel ever becoming much of a finisher, but that would have been a dream for a Swansea fan!

• edited December 2020

@our_frank said:

Agreed. They're probably the best pressing side in the division and they've picked up where they left off at the back end of last season - albeit with a little dip at the end of Gerhard Struber's tenure. They've got a bit of money, sure, but they use it very wisely - no bankrolling. Play-offs probably beyond them but top half finish ought to be within reach.

• @Brownie said:

Barnsley's owners have a net worth of approx $9.1 billion, we'd do well to emulate that!!

Does the owners financial clout really matter that much any more? With financial fair play and squad number restrictions surely once an owner can put in a decent slug of cash the chances to spend more is greatly reduced?

• @Brownie said:

@floyd said:

@our_frank said:

(I agree with your point and am being deliberately obtuse)

I was didn’t know that!

• On the topic of Barnsley, I think I saw they had the 3rd best record in the league since their new manager took over.