Skip to content

Press report on Josh Knight

Comments

• The likelihood is that all football will stop for a couple of weeks pretty soo makes the rush to sign Knight a bit less pressing.

• @Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:
    Knight on a permanent signing would be a huge statement of intent in general by the Couhigs, whether we stay up this season or not

Maybe not signing him if the fee/wages are out of our reach would be an equally huge statement on intent regarding our sustainability?

We went up to the championship and spent next to nothing on fees, and signing a young, upcoming player with 6 months left on his contact, who's already proven himself to the manager is about as low risk as it gets.

Arguably the recruitment guys deserve a shot at a signing or two with the wonders they do when they do get some money. You'd probably want them all triple checked by a range of medics though.

• @Malone said:

@TheatreOfChairs said:
    Malone, you were correct earlier on in the thread, you can only talk to overseas clubs in the last six months of your contract - it’s not permitted domestically.

Otherwise players would find themselves playing against clubs they were in discussions with, which would be an abysmal conflict of interest.

I thought so as you'd hear all the leaks in the papers and players would get utter dog's abuse for it. And you'd hear about pre-contracts etc.

But when @chairboyscentral was adamant I stepped back as he's normally the man for the ins and outs.

I think different countries can set their own rules, but yeah, PL players can't sign pre-contract agreements until a month before expiry. So I guess it's the same for the EFL?

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:
    Knight on a permanent signing would be a huge statement of intent in general by the Couhigs, whether we stay up this season or not

Maybe not signing him if the fee/wages are out of our reach would be an equally huge statement on intent regarding our sustainability?

We went up to the championship and spent next to nothing on fees, and signing a young, upcoming player with 6 months left on his contact, who's already proven himself to the manager is about as low risk as it gets.

Arguably the recruitment guys deserve a shot at a signing or two with the wonders they do when they do get some money. You'd probably want them all triple checked by a range of medics though.

Exactly this, we're in with a genuine shout of staying up, I'm more confident now than before there season started.

Especially with the way we've been losing games, so many of them we could have got points or even wins from with a tiny bit more quality

• What a change of mood in here since 3 days ago. I think Saturday was collectively the most down I’d seen the post-match discussions all season. Today I’d say it’s the most up

• I trust everyone involved to make the best decision for the club.

• @bookertease said:
    What a change of mood in here since 3 days ago. I think Saturday was collectively the most down I’d seen the post-match discussions all season. Today I’d say it’s the most up

It's the hope that gets you isn't it!

But follow this up with a win against Middlesborough and we'll all be getting giddy.

Would be our luck for them now to halt the league for 2-3 weeks!

• @Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

So a fee of say, five million would be worth the risk of staying up against the long term sustainability?

• I seem to recall there was no chance of us signing Gape, Mccarthy or Fred.

• edited December 2020

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

So a fee of say, five million would be worth the risk of staying up against the long term sustainability?

He's got 6 months left on his contract, it's not going to be anything remotely near that

• Not wishing to put a damper on the Knight situation (as I’ve said several times recently, I think we should pull out all the stops to sign him permanently) but I think McCarthy and Onyedinma were very happy to leave their parent club and I think Gape was unsure about his prospects of getting into the first team at Southampton.

We don’t know how Knight feels about his prospects of getting into the first team at Leicester or indeed how good those prospects are. We can only hope that he is enjoying his football here, that we are prepared to make him a good offer and that we don’t get gazumped. We know nothing (well, I don’t) about his domestic arrangements and what impact they might have on his attitude towards the prospect of having to uproot or commute.

Lots of ifs and buts and we can only stand back and wait expectantly with everything crossed.

• @Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

@Username said:

He's got 6 months left on his contract, it's not going to be anything remotely near that

You missed the point. Extend ourselves beyond our financial comfort zone, end up getting relegated, then sustainability becomes an issue. Given the mantra from our owners, it depends on the balance. Not busting the bank at the risk of all else is the key. What that point is I've no idea but signing Knight at all costs isn't an option.

• I completely understand we can't go and spend silly money, but if we can't put in an offer for a player like Knight with 6 months left on his deal who's already on loan with us we might as well not have bothered getting promoted.

• We already have put in an offer if social media is to be believed. The final balance of relegation has to be allowed for should it happen. I expect there will be a caveat in the negotiations, such as sell on fees, to make it at all possible. In negotiations, I trust Andrew Howard/Couhig family to get that balance correct.

• @micra said:
    Not wishing to put a damper on the Knight situation (as I’ve said several times recently, I think we should pull out all the stops to sign him permanently) but I think McCarthy and Onyedinma were very happy to leave their parent club and I think Gape was unsure about his prospects of getting into the first team at Southampton.

We don’t know how Knight feels about his prospects of getting into the first team at Leicester or indeed how good those prospects are. We can only hope that he is enjoying his football here, that we are prepared to make him a good offer and that we don’t get gazumped. We know nothing (well, I don’t) about his domestic arrangements and what impact they might have on his attitude towards the prospect of having to uproot or commute.

Lots of ifs and buts and we can only stand back and wait expectantly with everything crossed.

Can't see him getting anywhere near their squad.
    They've had a lot of injuries in defence and have been fielding youngsters like Justin all season. No talk of bringing him back.
    They've also sent him out on loan a couple of seasons in a row.
    I think we have a great chance.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    We already have put in an offer if social media is to be believed. The final balance of relegation has to be allowed for should it happen. I expect there will be a caveat in the negotiations, such as sell on fees, to make it at all possible. In negotiations, I trust Andrew Howard/Couhig family to get that balance correct.

No, nobody wants us overstretched but he shouldn't be very expensive and the potential resale value shouldn't be overlooked. Sure Leicester would prefer a small fee now and a guaranteed percentage sell on clause than it drag on until the summer if they don't intend playing him.
    Also to some extent there are costs attached to playing at a certain level. It's a bit naive to expect to pocket all the extra money for going up without committing anything to wages and transfers.

• @micra said:
    Not wishing to put a damper on the Knight situation (as I’ve said several times recently, I think we should pull out all the stops to sign him permanently) but I think McCarthy and Onyedinma were very happy to leave their parent club and I think Gape was unsure about his prospects of getting into the first team at Southampton.

He will be 24 next season and has never played a League game for Leicester. His contract ends in June and he will be off. Hopefully we will be in with a chance of signing him.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    We already have put in an offer if social media is to be believed. The final balance of relegation has to be allowed for should it happen. I expect there will be a caveat in the negotiations, such as sell on fees, to make it at all possible. In negotiations, I trust Andrew Howard/Couhig family to get that balance correct.

No, nobody wants us overstretched but he shouldn't be very expensive and the potential resale value shouldn't be overlooked.

I think Leicester will be very aware of his potential resale value as well.
    I want Knight to sign as much as the next man, but not to the detriment of sustainability. I am still sore from the Sharkey era and my memory hasn't gone that far adrift yet!

• @wwfcblue said:

@micra said:

He will be 24 next season and has never played a League game for Leicester. His contract ends in June and he will be off. Hopefully we will be in with a chance of signing him.

Ami wrong in thinking that beany and big phil were saying he was 19 against QPR?

I don't think I'm getting mixed up with Mehmeti who is 19. I thought they were saying wow knight is playing like this at 19!

Turning 24 changes the game entirely and means he has zero chance for Leicester. They have 3-4 playing now who are better and younger.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:

They've had a lot of injuries in defence and have been fielding youngsters like Justin all season. No talk of bringing him back.

You talk about Justin being a youngster, but he's firmly established now and should get his first England call-up very soon. Luton have had some serious full-back talent roll off the production line with him, Jack Stacey, Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis. And it's stood them in pretty good stead!

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

You talk about Justin being a youngster, but he's firmly established now and should get his first England call-up very soon. Luton have had some serious full-back talent roll off the production line with him, Jack Stacey, Max Aarons and Jamal Lewis. And it's stood them in pretty good stead!

Leicester fans see Perreira and Castagne ad their first choice full backs when everyone is fit. So we will see.

• @Twizz said:
    According to Wikipedia he's 23

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Knight

He'll be 24 at the beginning of next season. I think we have every chance of signing him

• If Taffs turns out to be what we think he is, I could live with Taffs-Tools as the first choice pairing, rather than spending too much money on Knight, though he is superb.

• I reckon his loan will be extended and then we will see what we will see come the end of the season.

• It feels good to have a really tall centre back in there.
    It's taken one game since he's come in to immediately benefit from it in attack!

If Knight did play as well in midfield as defence, combining Stewart, Tafazolli, Knight, Uche and Wheeler certainly gives us some set piece threat. Something that felt a little lacking at times earlier this season.
    That's my opinion - before someone wheels our stats that shows we were superb at them :)

• I can certainly only remember two headed goals from corners (or any set piece, I think?) before yesterday - Stewart v Watford and Wheeler v Sheffield Wednesday. I agree that we have significantly more threat now.

• @Shev said:
    I can certainly only remember two headed goals from corners (or any set piece, I think?) before yesterday - Stewart v Watford and Wheeler v Sheffield Wednesday. I agree that we have significantly more threat now.

Imagine late pressure in corners having Wheeler, Bayo, Uche, Stewart and Tafazolli up there!

• Any further update on the Josh Knight position?