Skip to content

Greatest ever signing

After a huge win to hopefully signal our surge to safety in the championship in 2021, and likely the last year of some players who will go down as club legends, it got me thinking about where the squad has come from, and in particular JJ, Curtis Thompson and Bayo being 3 signings that must be in the top 10 all time (certainly since we entered the FL (I'm not 30 yet so very early FL is just about before me!).

For me Thompson's story is incredible, from being rejected by a relegation bound league 2 Notts County, to rising through the leagues to looking at home in the championship to the point that if he carries on all season, he'd surely be poached if we did go down.

Bayo and JJs contributions speak for themselves, but they also came with bigger reputations.

What a story it would be for some of the older guys to bow out with a last day survival

Comments

• Have to say, that during the 1st half I turned to my son and said that I think Thompson was the absolute find of the Ainsworth era. I think he could do a job at top 6 sides in this league so I’m really pleased he is ours.

• No!! And I’m not Forest Blue or whatever’s brother either although they are my other team ?

• Bayo is the greatest ever signing.
    Look at the example he sets and his goal record for us. So many decisive goals in that set too. Written off as a novelty/media attention signing by many but delivered so much more than any of us could have imagined.

I agree JJ is up there though

• Got to be Ainsworth.

• Come to think of it I guess Ainsworth is our best ever FL signing? Bayo for the reasons above was a hell of a signing and Martin Taylor and Simon Garner were very key signings too. McCleary has been excellent so far and if he stays fit then really could be so important to our final league position this year

• How about Gareth Ainsworth? He’s proved to be a pretty useful signing!

• Yeah, it's Bayo and I don't even think it's close

• Ibe too.

• Can't argue with a Bayo, and I really hope he has a last hurrah this season to help us stay up.

Thompson is still only 27 so his journey could go even further

• Lots of contenders I'm sure but it's Bayo for me. We all thought he was a back-up but took over from an injured Hayesy and has been consistent in lifting us up ever since. Like Bloomfield written off every season and I still think he'll play an important part this term.

• After reading Close Quarters it’s really hard not to get emotional about a number of the players in all fairness. Most of our squad from last year were damaged goods yet 2 guys believed in them. So Dobbo and GA as our greatest signings and maybe Dobbo nicking it else we would be financially &&&&’d without his eye for youth.

• It’s doubtful (highly unlikely in fact) that we would have got near to the Championship if we’d not signed Gareth Ainsworth all those years ago. For that reason he gets my vote. He in turn has depended heavily on Richard Dobson. Not a player signing ( which this thread is all about) but someone whose importance to Wycombe Wanderers Football Club has been unparalleled in the history of the club and deserves some form of recognition - a testimonial match perhaps.

• Leon Knight

• Micra is spot on as usual. I once introduced Dobbo at a end of season dinner as one of the most important signings the club has ever made and it’s true.

• Best signing since joining the FL has to be be Bayo. Tyson, JJ, Blooms, Gape, Paul McCarthy, Martin Taylor, Anthony Stewart and Steve Brown (I think he signed in 95 or something?) all deserve a mention.

Strong case to be made for Dobbo having the biggest contribution of anyone on the playing side.

• Excellent comments from @micra and @glasshalffull. The humility of the man was never so apparent as when he was reluctant to accept any praise at Chesterfield that day. Despite the repeated choruses of “Dobbo, Dobbo” he just stayed at the back, gesturing the support towards everyone else.

Great, great person. True and genuine Wycombe legend. Certainly on the list of people I would love to meet in person one day.

• Gareth Ainsworth followed very closely by Richard Dobson. To me none of our playing staff come close to the contribution these two have made to our club over the last 10 years.
    Playing staff it would have to be Akinfenwa, Bloomfield and JJ in recent times

• @wwfcblue said:
    Gareth Ainsworth followed very closely by Richard Dobson. To me none of our playing staff come close to the contribution these two have made to our club over the last 10 years.
    Playing staff it would have to be Akinfenwa, Bloomfield and JJ in recent times

Nailed it

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Excellent comments from @micra and @glasshalffull. The humility of the man was never so apparent as when he was reluctant to accept any praise at Chesterfield that day. Despite the repeated choruses of “Dobbo, Dobbo” he just stayed at the back, gesturing the support towards everyone else.

Great, great person. True and genuine Wycombe legend. Certainly on the list of people I would love to meet in person one day.

Had the pleasure of interviewing Dobbo for the Wanderer a couple of years back, after a defeat in L1 that made us look like it would all be a bit too difficult, he was ridiculously impressive, was happy and able to demonstrate what they have done in a number of areas and why in a manner you don't get these days and resisted any prompt to have a pop at anyone. Just prior to the interview I was chatting to Matt Cecill who kindly arranged it about just how short of cash the club was and how at that time it was not only a real pain but seriously demotivating and blocking good work.
    Regardless of how we end the season we have come such a long way and I wouldn't rule anything out.
    His take on Bayo btw was simply that when we played them we had to do a whole lot of prep at the expense of other tactical work to prepare for him and whilst we had done a decent job he was still a threat, would opposition teams always do that, would that impact their prep and if they either didn't or didn't do it well he could be a real handful. The PR side didn't really come into it but went on to be a positive as he's clearly a great guy and people want to see him.
    I fear he's inevitably coming to the end but who would have thought he'd stay more than a year let alone become our top goalscorer despite Tyson returning.

• edited December 2020

Bayo and Mr Wycombe. Was it Tony Adams that signed Bloomfield?

Although he has had many critics (particularly myself) Ivor Beeks appointing Gareth was the greatest decision he ever made for the club which we should all be grateful.

• I might also add that Dobbo is one of the nicest, most humble guys you could ever wish to meet. His partnership with Gaz is ideal, they have total respect for each other and work in perfect harmony.

• @mooneyman said:
    Bayo and Mr Wycombe. Was it Tony Adams that signed Bloomfield?

Although he has had many critics (particularly myself), appointing Gareth was the greatest decision he ever made for the club which we should all be grateful.

Didn't quite follow that second paragraph.
    Is it Gareth you've been a critic or is the person who appointed Gareth?(as it reads).

And who is that "he?". Waddock who brought him in? As it follows you talking about Adams!

• Sorry @Malone for typing gobbledgook, have corrected my post. Having a @micra moment!

• @mooneyman said:
    Sorry @Malone for typing gobbledgook, have corrected my post. Having a @micra moment!

Haha thanks!
    Didn't want to be too picky but i thought it was missing something!