Skip to content

New Striker?

We are being linked with Ellis Harrison from Portsmouth.

Comments

• Only place 'reporting' that is a BS Twitter rumour account. He's the guy that got sent off for squaring up to Bayo last season, doesn't seem like the kind of player we'd go for anyway.

• If he’s brave enough to square up to Bayo you could argue he’s exactly the sort of player we should be going for!

• He doesn't fit the profile of striker we need. Let people have their fun on Twitter!

• I was joking!

• According to Sky, Armand Gnanuillet is looking for a new club after leaving Turkey. Was quite prolific for Blackpool last season. Could be a possibility?

• That’s an interesting one. Big strong mobile forward who wants to play in the Championship with no fee required.

As we’ve seen in the first half of the season, our Achilles heel is one of Uche or Bayo getting injured leaving us with one totally over worked centre forward.

A third option would mean we would most likely always have a player available to lead the line and one to come from the bench for the last 20 mins.

We saw the value of that last night.

Could be worth an 18 month contract.

• Will certainly be interesting to see who Gareth tries to bring in.

The main hope has to be that Uche now stays in mint condition going forward.
    Can he start 2 games over 4 days already?

• I saw a site earlier linking us to Ched Evans... that would get a few moaning ! I had to have a look at another link on the same site as to why he was sacked at Fleetwood, apparently he had to do an in house fine for something trivial, like I think a lot of clubs do, and whatever he did was basically taking the piss out of Barton for being hypocritical.... And Barton didnt like it, so got him sacked

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I saw a site earlier linking us to Ched Evans... that would get a few moaning ! I had to have a look at another link on the same site as to why he was sacked at Fleetwood, apparently he had to do an in house fine for something trivial, like I think a lot of clubs do, and whatever he did was basically taking the piss out of Barton for being hypocritical.... And Barton didnt like it, so got him sacked

Would certainly be an emotive signing.
    But luckily not a chance would Gareth go for a character like him.

• edited December 2020

Sacked by Barton for character issues. Might as well hand out the "Lowest of the Low" trophy now!

That's like being fired by Alan Swann for writing hysterical nonsense.

• Gnanduillet would be an excellent addition on a free from what I've seen of him. Him and Uche at top together would be a nightmare to defend against

• Would we go for another target man? I think we need more of a poacher type in the Kashket mould, and I'd imagine we're going to be limited to loans (with the exception of, hopefully, Knight).

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Would we go for another target man? I think we need more of a poacher type in the Kashket mould, and I'd imagine we're going to be limited to loans (with the exception of, hopefully, Knight).

Maybe not, but we need someone who can put the ball in the net, and gnanduillet did that every other game last season and is available on a free so much be worth a look- I doubt he'll be short of offers at the top end of league 1, or other clubs at the bottom of the championship.

• What’s the status regarding the squad size or am I making it up that there’s a limit?

I have in my head that we’re at the limit in the first team squad but sneaked a few in via B team?

If that correct, we may have to say good bye to a player before a new one comes in?

• Jordan Ibe released ( sacked ? ) by Derby. Back to his spiritual home ?

• @davecz said:
    Jordan Ibe released ( sacked ? ) by Derby. Back to his spiritual home ?

Thought he had only recently signed there, or was he "just training" with them?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

Thought he had only recently signed there, or was he "just training" with them?

Signed a 2 year deal in September.

• Doesn’t sound too re-assuring on the face of it but where better to start whatever rehabilitation programme might be needed.

• @davecz said:
    Jordan Ibe released ( sacked ? ) by Derby. Back to his spiritual home ?

Can't see this reported anywhere. Just that he's been disciplined.

• Troubled attacker Jordan Ibe is expected to link with his academy club Wycombe Wanderers in January.Picked up by Derby County on a free from Bournemouth,Ibe is highly thought of by the Wycombe coaching team who know him well and personally. Wages just need to be met by US owners..found on twitter!

• @micra said:
    Doesn’t sound too re-assuring on the face of it but where better to start whatever rehabilitation programme might be needed.

Think a lot depends on the demons he has. If they are of the type that upsets the applecart in the dressing room, not sure if GA & Dobbo would take the risk?

• Do his family still live this way, or did they follow him to Liverpool early doors?

If Dobbo & Gareth can't get him back on track, then surely no-one can.

Must still be a quality player in there surely.

• A bit left field, but how about Ikechi Anya who is still a free agent? I know he was cast aside - by Tony Adams? - but maybe has a point to prove and might accept the lower wages we're able to pay for the rest of this season. Any salary is better than none surely?
    I'm sure his character would fit - look how he turned his career around after being released by us.

• Ibe on paper looks like an ideal fit. Tough recent history. Lost soul. In need of a supportive shoulder. Let’s not forget that Eze was sent to us in the hope that GA and Bayo could help him apply himself better. At 24 he’s still got a massive future if he wants it.
    Would just hate another dean Morgan arriving and spoiling the pot - something I can’t see Dobbo and GA allowing either.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Ibe on paper looks like an ideal fit. Tough recent history. Lost soul. In need of a supportive shoulder. Let’s not forget that Eze was sent to us in the hope that GA and Bayo could help him apply himself better. At 24 he’s still got a massive future if he wants it.
    Would just hate another dean Morgan arriving and spoiling the pot - something I can’t see Dobbo and GA allowing either.

Just turned 25, but not much odds. Should be coming into his prime form, but clearly has totally fallen off the wagon.

If we did take him on and he didn't get things back on track, he would have every risk of not getting back to this level and an immense talent being utterly wasted.

• One thing we can certainly do to incentivise any high profile striker to sign for us is to give them a substantial staying-up bonus, as long as they genuinely contribute to us doing so. Staying in the Championship a second season is worth, what, another £9m to us? We should certainly want to pay a chunk of that to whoever makes it happen.

And before anyone argues that any big bonus for a new player would be divisive, I imagine every existing player would heartily welcome any chance to stay up and be in a position to renegotiate their contract in the close season knowing that we're able to pay them a decent wage.

• Lots of clubs have tried that but I would suspect no chunk of £9 million will be going to one player under GA's watch. This club needs to survive...possibly outside the second tier! If the owners are prepared to yo-yo cash for a proven at this level Billy Big B*****ks may not be forthcoming.

• Is a wide player our top priority? It's hard enough as it is to find a formula that includes McCleary and Horgan, along with Fred,Wheeler who can play wide.