Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Championship clubs unhappy with standard of refereeing

1235

Comments

  • Ironically, @Wendoverman Leigh Doughty, tonight’s referee, was refereeing in the sixth or seventh tier four years ago (aged 26) and was severely admonished by the assessor after a particular match for missing four yellow cards. Nevertheless (and partly through his determination to get it right) he worked his notice as a PE teacher and rapidly progressed through the levels, to the Championship this season and he has also been appointed to the prestigious SG2 List alongside Michael Salisbury, another of the younger generation. Expectations will be high!

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • 37 yellows in 12 matches is about average and no reds according to the match preview.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • Based on that, Doughty will be as bad as the others.

  • Oh ye....@Shev but must confess I said as much to mrs micra.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • It was supposed to be a wordplay, but I should have started with a drum roll...

  • Oh f**k. Sorry @Shev . Should have pronounced his surname correctly!

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • Hope everyone else ‘got’ it.

    👍 👎 ( -1 )
  • Not my finest attempt at humour, either way!

  • @Wendoverman said:
    According to the preview from the club tonight's ref was L2 last season. Could be a bitty, whistle happy night!

    A league 2 ref who allows some of our physical play could be just what we need!

  • He was only in the National League two seasons ago, must be a bit of a refereeing prodigy (I'm not expecting anything of the sort).

  • What's the odds that if Bayo +/or Uche plays, they will get absolutely nothing when one of the two giant centre backs climbs all over them or tears their shirts off their backs?

  • I see we're not even waiting for the match to start to have a go at the ref

    Gets it out of the way I suppose

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • @EwanHoosaami said:
    What's the odds that if Bayo +/or Uche plays, they will get absolutely nothing when one of the two giant centre backs climbs all over them or tears their shirts off their backs?

    We are all obviously biased on here and don't mention his backing in and grappling - but defenders are definitely given more license to foul him than more usual build players.

    It's quite strange as it's not like other attributes are dealt with in the same way.

    JJ isn't allowed to tug back super fast players for example.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Now blue tinted glasses or not, I genuinely don't see "grappling" as you put it. I do see him protecting the space in front of him. I really think that the refs mistake superior strength as fouls. It is very difficult to get around that huge lump so the only way to get the ball 1st is through him, (hence foul), or put a man in front of him and stop the ball getting to him. Pulling the shirt is just second nature to a lot of defenders, ours included.

  • With the technology we have, surely we can weave tiny electrodes into shirts that emit an electric shock when grabbed hold off too tightly? Now that would be funny! And of course, they would still be given the free kick.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • edited December 2020

    @EwanHoosaami said:
    Now blue tinted glasses or not, I genuinely don't see "grappling" as you put it. I do see him protecting the space in front of him. I really think that the refs mistake superior strength as fouls. It is very difficult to get around that huge lump so the only way to get the ball 1st is through him, (hence foul), or put a man in front of him and stop the ball getting to him. Pulling the shirt is just second nature to a lot of defenders, ours included.

    Bayo is often very cute with his nudges and "hands off" on players.

    Watch him before the ball gets to him.

    More wronged against than the other way of course. But again - we are biased.
    When he played against us we certainly moaned about his physicality!

  • Bayo certainly commits his fair share of fouls. I think the problem is as follows:

    Bayo fouls the defender - freekick given against Bayo
    No foul either way - freekick given against Bayo
    Bayo is fouled by the defender - freekick given against Bayo

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • You are of course correct in those observations. I tend to watch more of what goes on off the ball than the play itself. This being why I much prefer to be at a game than watching on a screen, I get a better "panoramic" view.

  • It's quite interesting comparing Bayo and Kashket.
    As we seem to get the turd end of the stick on both quite often.

    A lot of obvious fouls on a normal build player are let go v Bayo as seemingly the ref thinks it's impossible to compete otherwise.
    While Kashket is so willow the wisp the ref just puts him being brushed to the floor as being a fair use of greater strength.

    👍 👎 ( 3 )
  • Spot on observation @Malone.

  • @eric_plant said:
    I see we're not even waiting for the match to start to have a go at the ref

    Gets it out of the way I suppose

    But gives you the chance to admonish people for doing it early doors @eric_plant so two birds, eh? 😁

    👍 👎 ( 0 )
  • Already positive. How often do we work it into the box and shoot from that area?

  • @Shev said:
    Already positive. How often do we work it into the box and shoot from that area?

    Gagging to unleash the "oochie walla walla oochie bang bang" song if he can score.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • Any ideas on the commentators yet?

  • Tom Hancock +1.

    👍 👎 ( -3 )
  • If (if) we win tonight do we ban Phil from commentating?

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • It would be ironic if we finally win with GA on the sidelines but no Phil in the booth!

  • I thought the referee was very good last night.
    Let the game flow and I don’t really remember seeing him too much, which should be the ultimate criteria for refs.

    👍 👎 ( 1 )
  • @Commoner said:
    I thought the referee was very good last night.
    Let the game flow and I don’t really remember seeing him too much, which should be the ultimate criteria for refs.

    Gave a couple of key decisions our way for sure.

  • @EwanHoosaami said:
    You are of course correct in those observations. I tend to watch more of what goes on off the ball than the play itself. This being why I much prefer to be at a game than watching on a screen, I get a better "panoramic" view.

    I thought the main panoramic view camera last night did enable you to see off the ball activity fairly well for a lot of the time but I agree (apart from personal comfort) you can’t beat actually being there.

Sign In or Register to comment.