Skip to content

Championship clubs unhappy with standard of refereeing

Comments

• @chairboyscentral it looked to me to be outside the box.

• Are Rugby fans always happy with the Ref?

• edited December 2020

@eric_plant said:

@our_frank said:
    @eric_plant @chairboyscentral If you are going to go down that road, then surely the decisions for Jacobson's "Olympico" efforts vs Watford and Millwall should come into it.

I think Kashket fouled the Millwall keeper, as spotted by Dean Ashton

Fair point on the Watford one, I didn't think that was a foul

Anyway, my point is that our constant whining about referees (all credit to Gaz that he's not chosen to go down that route) is getting a bit tiresome. We should concentrate on the things we can control

We're football fans. We can each individually control what we shout at a game but not much else. Unless by "we" you mean the players, who can control what happens on the pitch, but they're not whining about the referees. So, you've lost me here.

• We (the fans) should concentrate on things that we (Wycombe Wanderers Football Club) can control

• edited December 2020

@eric_plant said:

We (the fans) should concentrate on things that we (Wycombe Wanderers Football Club) can control

Why? As fans, particular whilst not allowed in, what we can control is close to zero.

• Why tho? We (the fans) can't change anything by concentrating on something that only someone else can control. Us (the fans) concentrating on poor refereeing is exactly as futile as concentrating on scoring more goals. Both have exactly the same effect, which is to say, fuck all.

• I obviously haven't explained it very well.

All I was trying to say that every post match discussion these days seems to consist of whinging about the matchday officials

I'd rather discuss how we can play differently to give us a better chance of winning games.

But people are free to talk about what they want to of course

• @drcongo said:
    Why tho? We (the fans) can't change anything by concentrating on something that only someone else can control. Us (the fans) concentrating on poor refereeing is exactly as futile as concentrating on scoring more goals. Both have exactly the same effect, which is to say, fuck all.

Epictetus’s Dichotmy of Control nicely summarised

• Discussing how we can play differently sounds like a pretty futile activity @eric_plant (or were you being ironic?).

• edited December 2020

Like I said, people can discuss what they want to

If you want to go down the glasshalffull/RITM road of moaning about everything a referee ever does then go for it

It's not for me though

• Is the ‘you’ in your second paragraph me @eric_plant ? I rarely discuss refereeing and categorically am not a moaner! Please clarify.

• No, you as in one

• Thanks @eric_plant. The steam is no longer issuing (or the writ)!

• Calm down Micra old son, "it's just an internet message board", as the saying used to go

• @eric_plant said:
    I obviously haven't explained it very well.

All I was trying to say that every post match discussion these days seems to consist of whinging about the matchday officials

I'd rather discuss how we can play differently to give us a better chance of winning games.

But people are free to talk about what they want to of course

But this is a thread about the standard of officiating that you're posting in.

• The perfect place for me to post an opinion about talking about referees then

• I thought you'd rather discuss how we can play differently. But you are free to talk about what you want to of course.

• I thought @davecz started a 'We need to find another way to play' thread?

• @micra said:
    Thanks @eric_plant. The steam is no longer issuing (or the writ)!

@eric_plant said:
    Calm down Micra old son, "it's just an internet message board", as the saying used to go

A sense of humour is a wonderful thing!

• @53cheese said:

@drcongo said:
    Why tho? We (the fans) can't change anything by concentrating on something that only someone else can control. Us (the fans) concentrating on poor refereeing is exactly as futile as concentrating on scoring more goals. Both have exactly the same effect, which is to say, fuck all.

Epictetus’s Dichotmy of Control nicely summarised

I'd never come across Epictetus before reading Derren Brown's book Happy, but words to live by now that I have.

• I don't think there's more or less moaning about refs or anything else for that matter @eric_plant
    Having spent many years post game in the Vere I see it as a football fans duty to put the world to rights and that includes moaning about the officials.... Come on, it's been a tough year so let us have a little moan about refs.....I mean it could be worse, we could have VAR ?

• If we weren't allowed to moan about perceived hardships, the sole debate of this season would become - how do you actually define being competitive.

Is being competitive losing by a goal most weeks - or does the fact you're losing almost every week mean you're not actually competitive at all?

If we go down having won 5 games - lost 30+ - were we competitive actually? Or does "competitive" come down to not being battered very often?

• Practically impossible to be consistently competitive having regard to the respective wage budgets of our opponents.

• I do think Wen> @Malone said:

If we weren't allowed to moan about perceived hardships, the sole debate of this season would become - how do you actually define being competitive.

Is being competitive losing by a goal most weeks - or does the fact you're losing almost every week mean you're not actually competitive at all?

If we go down having won 5 games - lost 30+ - were we competitive actually? Or does "competitive" come down to not being battered very often?

Great question! I would say both - we were competitive in games, but not in the league season taken as a whole.

• My bar is: “why is he/she leaving the ground 5 minutes from the end? We could easily snatch a draw here.” (I do realise it’s metaphorical at the moment)

• Very interesting piece on how referees are actually appointed to games: https://theathletic.com/2268098/2020/12/27/merit-table-referees-premier/

• I have been really appalled by the standard of refereeing at this level.

• According to the preview from the club tonight's ref was L2 last season. Could be a bitty, whistle happy night!

• @Wendoverman said:
    According to the preview from the club tonight's ref was L2 last season. Could be a bitty, whistle happy night!

Just for a change