Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol City

Comments

• Good to see you back @BSE.
    Quietly confident today. Our record against City in League games is good. Five wins and a draw in nine games this century. Also, they have more players on the injured list than we have and I think they’ve only scored one goal at home since October. Realistically, at least a point, I reckon.

• edited December 2020

Yeah, but they've not lost at home on Boxing Day since 1962...

• edited December 2020

Double but: The team that beat them have a white bird on their badge.

• Am I right in thinking we dont get this match on ifollow because its Saturday away ?

Was kind of hoping for an extra Christmas present and it would be

• BSEBSE
    edited December 2020

Thanks @micra that's some stat! @chairboyscentral Im going for 0-0 then today.

@HolmerBlue Im assuming the same because it Saturday away i think we will have to pay.

• Another one, to balance the omens in our favour... We have a 100% record against Bristol City on holidays (played on New Year's Day and Easter Monday). What do you mean none of this means anything?!

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Am I right in thinking we dont get this match on ifollow because its Saturday away ?

Was kind of hoping for an extra Christmas present and it would be

Yep £10 job.

Not entirely sure why we get the midweek aways "free" but it's very much appreciated. Reduces the loss of the games we're not getting in for.

• The Bristol badge is pleasant and fittingly festive.

• Ashton Gate used to be one of my favourite places to visit. BUt it's changed so much i can't even work out which end is which.

• Is that Curtis Thompson in the back of Bayo's insta story?

• @floyd said:
    Is that Curtis Thompson in the back of Bayo's insta story?

It certainly is!

• @floyd said:
    Ashton Gate used to be one of my favourite places to visit. BUt it's changed so much i can't even work out which end is which.

Think I've only been there once.
    I think I spotted you there that night.

Some ridiculous 3-0 drubbing in the LDV or whatever it was back then.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@floyd said:
    Is that Curtis Thompson in the back of Bayo's insta story?

It certainly is!

Love that it's Bayo's stories we often find out updates on players!

• Was that the night where one group was singing "Sanchez out" and another group got annoyed with them?

• @eric_plant said:
    Was that the night where one group was singing "Sanchez out" and another group got annoyed with them?

As far as I recall, that was the first time. My first trip there the kick off was delayed to about 330, what year was that?

• It was later than 3:30 from my memory. Some guy absconded with his son during a custody battle and parked his caravan ok the M4 didn't he?

From my memory (not always reliable) it was way past 4 o'clock when the game started

• @eric_plant said:
    It was later than 3:30 from my memory. Some guy absconded with his son during a custody battle and parked his caravan ok the M4 didn't he?

I think so. I remember the locals being very unhappy with us for arriving late.

• Another attacking team. Great to see Thompson back. Interesting to see how Charles does.

• Think my last trip to Ashton Gate was to see the ill fated England Monarchs play in the NFL Europe league. A horrible defeat followed by walking out the ground with the team in full kit as the dressing rooms were too small.

Sure it will be much better for the mighty Wycombe today. It's Boxing Day. What could go wrong?

• @Chris said:
    Another attacking team. Great to see Thompson back. Interesting to see how Charles does.

Great to see Curtis and Dennis back. Very surprised to see Charles over Tafazolli, but McCarthy had to come out.

• Curtis is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work today. But great to see him back. Bench looks well balanced though

• McCarthy definitely had to come out... great to see the injuries are decreasing... no Freeman is a disappointment one of small minority capable of keeping hold of the ball.

• Looks like we're down to an injury list of just Stewart and Gape, which is as good a Christmas present as any - though those two are big players for us.

Am I right in thinking today will be the first time we're playing with a naturally left sided central defender in our team since before Josh Knight joined? That will hopefully make a big difference.

• I guess Charles and Taf will have to rotate until Taf's fully fit or Stewart's back. Tough on Jason, but it's the right decision.

• Charles in despite being written off as old news a couple of weeks ago on here

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Charles in despite being written off as old news a couple of weeks ago on here

Think you might be giving a little too much importance to those who posted those views. I'd say very much a minority view.

Feel sorry for McCarthy but it seems his one big error a game is a problem despite him being solid for the remainder.

Guessing Freeman must be ill or injured.

• @DJWYC14 said:

He was horribly off the pace against Blackburn and Luton, but I hope I'm proven wrong today!

• @bookertease said:
    Curtis is going to have to do a hell of a lot of work today. But great to see him back. Bench looks well balanced though

Exactly this. One striker / winger too many and one midfielder down. I don’t know why we continue with this policy starting games.

I also think the four supporting Bayo get in each other’s way. Adeniran should be starting.

Only time will tell and happy to eat humble pie.

• @DJWYC14 said:

Let's see how he plays first!

• Charles looked completely outclassed against Blackburn, but then so did our whole team. I don't think we've seen him since, have we? One of my favourite players for the last two years, for everything behind his story, so I really hope he makes the step up.