Skip to content

17 years of Mr Wycombe

edited December 2020 in Football

Legend. And surely the longest-serving League player this century?

Comments

• The most astonishing thing for me is that his testimonial seems like only yesterday.

• It really is quite remarkable.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    The most astonishing thing for me is that his testimonial seems like only yesterday.

When was it?

• 2014 against Chelsea.

• Absolute gent, so pleased to have watched him on the pitch and had the pleasure of knowing him off the pitch.
    His enthusiasm is infectious! Congratulations Matt!

• @OxfordBlue said:
    2014 against Chelsea.

Ah yeah, I remember now. He's got to be due a second testimonial soon!

• 3 years time. You get a testimonial after ten years

• Ryan Giggs? (I know part was in the last century)

• @mooneyman said:
    Ryan Giggs? (I know part was in the last century)

Yeah, I mean ones who joined / started at the club this century. Unfortunately there is one, but we don't mention him or them on this forum...

• Amazing staying power and year after year he confounds people. It seems like for about 10 years people have said he shouldn't start games, only for him to put in a quality run of form and totally hush that down.

• I assume you mean Dean Lewington @chairboyscentral?

• @mooneyman said:
    I assume you mean Dean Lewington @chairboyscentral?

Can neither confirm nor deny

• @mooneyman said:
    I assume you mean Dean Lewington @chairboyscentral?

Can't believe you went there. He's a horrible embodiment if everything that has happened in Franchise land. Not worthy of his name every being mentioned.

• What an amazing servant and club legend.

• He is the longest serving player in the Football League. Milton Keynes were founded in 2004; Lewington played for Wimbledon when Blooms joined Wycombe.

• What a journey. Great servant and never fails to surprise and surpass expectations. Not only that but a possible future manager? There's no escape. Congratulations to Mr Wycombe.

• @Wendoverman said:
    What a journey. Great servant and never fails to surprise and surpass expectations. Not only that but a possible future manager? There's no escape. Congratulations to Mr Wycombe.

I hope he is our next manager and I think he probably will be - keep the dynasty going!

• So glad this is the man who led us out into the second tier. Congrats, Blooms!

• I'd love to think Blooms would eventually be our manager but I wonder how much his family remaining in Suffolk would affect his decision? He'd surely need to be in Wycombe more often as manager than he is now as a player (I think I'm right in saying he works with the Ipswich youth set-up a day or two a week?). Whatever, a constant inspiration to everyone around him.

• He may takeover from Lambert when Lambert's contract runs out, this will probably coincide with him hanging his boots up here after 20 seasons!

• edited December 2020

People thought Hayes was nailed on as future manager at one stage. Adamant.
    Then he left without any sort of prospect of even coaching here.

I think it's romantic to have the idea of a long serving player take over management but I'm not sure. He's already doing some coaching which is a step presumably Hayes hadn't taken here even informally?

• In fairness, internal appointments rarely work out, but we're a pretty unique club and Blooms is part of the furniture.

• He'll no doubt be highly respected but I can only see that he'd be an extreme case of early Ainsworth where it's a very hard transition from being everyone's mate to having to make ruthless decisions.

I also think the Couhig's being business men would want to go with a firmer choice of experienced manager rather than what would be a real punt.

However - I don't think this will come up any time soon.
    It'll be interesting to see if Bloomfield calls it a day at the end of this season playing wise first - though he probably has another season in him, especially if we did go down.
    And then see if the living situation feels quite as worth the sacrifice for just coaching as it did playing...

• Congratulations Matt, 16 years and 362 days of proving Wycombe fans wrong.

• @Malone said:
    He'll no doubt be highly respected but I can only see that he'd be an extreme case of early Ainsworth where it's a very hard transition from being everyone's mate to having to make ruthless decisions.

I also think the Couhig's being business men would want to go with a firmer choice of experienced manager rather than what would be a real punt.

However - I don't think this will come up any time soon.
    It'll be interesting to see if Bloomfield calls it a day at the end of this season playing wise first - though he probably has another season in him, especially if we did go down.
    And then see if the living situation feels quite as worth the sacrifice for just coaching as it did playing...

It will certainly be a weird situation. As long as we don't go the way of United post-Ferguson or, even worse, Arsenal post-Wenger ?

• It's not working...Bloomfield Out! (I have also posted this to FB to get ahead of the game!)

• @chairboyscentral said:
    In fairness, internal appointments rarely work out, but we're a pretty unique club and Blooms is part of the furniture.

Worked pretty well at Anfield for 25 years !!

• @Malone said:
    People thought Hayes was nailed on as future manager at one stage. Adamant.
    Then he left without any sort of prospect of even coaching here.

I think you might be stretching it a bit here. As I remember it quite a few people were talking about Hayes as a possible replacement if Gareth left.

After listening to him on RTB, I'm kinda glad that didn't happen.

• Yes, and that "boot room" concept is the main reason I would want Blooms - our main strength is the club ethos, and Blooms is much more likely to "get it" than an outside manager. Of course, this all depends on him having coaching talent too, but I would rather at least try that continuity.

• I hope when Gareth finally leaves, the Couhigs put him on the interview panel for his successor.