Skip to content

Player of the season so far?

Comments

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Wheeler is definitely the unsung hero of the team.

I must admit...I may be an idiot (hands down) but though there have been individual mistakes and perhaps some tactical decisions I did not agree with, I cannot say I am disappointed with anyone who has played yet. It's not like it's obvious anyone is ambling through with no regard for the team for the money.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@micra said:
    Where does that horrible word ‘get-go’ come from?

It's relatively recent apparently: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/335638/where-does-get-go-come-from

Thanks for the link @chairboyscentral. Must admit I was hoping I would be able to blame the yanks (Couhigs excepted of course) for yet another uglification. Whilst trying to get a ticket to see the video of last Monday evening’s get-together of the two best Wycombe managers over the last 30 years, I was disappointed to be asked for the expiration date of my debit card. ‘expiry date’ always seemed adequate.

Back to the history and derivation of get-go, I was very taken with the phrase in David Crockett’s (1834) “biography” - “In the evening I was introduced to her daughter and I must confess I was plaguey well pleased with her from the word go.”

I’m resisting the temptation to look into the derivation of ‘plaguey’ !

• @micra Wait until you forget your password for the new ticketing platform and they tell you they've "sended" you a reset link.

• The most significant transatlantic culture shock for me is actually the misunderstanding of self-deprecation. Every time I make fun of myself, it seems there is an awkward silence followed by "don't be so hard on yourself."

I have been off for the new baby, and upon coming back I was told my team had done really well in my absence. I replied "I guess that shows how little I bring to the table!" only to receive a gently encouraging email on how I can still take credit for how I set my team up.

• Sounds awful @Shev. Remind me never to move to the States. I struggle over here with people ‘getting me. No hope over there

• That must be hard Shev - so much to self-deprecate about.....

Only joking mate.

Grimmer MOTS for me - consistently good

Positive surprise Kashket - didn’t expect much at all but looks at home
    Disappointment - Fred - expected him to be star man but not happened yet. Only 1/3 season though - there is time

• I must have a blind spot about Ryan Allsop.

Just don't see it

• No shit.

• I know he’s missed a few games but I’d still go for Thompson. For me the speed with which he brought his A game to the team after his injury was the main factor in the turn around of our performances. Suddenly teams seemed to have to work a lot harder to open us up.

On a similar note credit to Bayo as well. The odd defining game (Watford) but generally he’s made a difference whenever he’s played.

But honourable mentions to all the regular back four and Allsop. Knight has been a plus and JJ has adapted well. Stewart and Grimmer I expected to be okay at this level. And Allsop has been reliably solid and I can’t ask for more than that.

Kashket is also a little bit in my surprise group. I was hopefully he’d do okay but thought he’d be more of a bit player but he’s proved to be a real thorn in some teams sides.

• @DevC - I have more than enough, for sure!

Grimmer benefits from having played every minute, much as injury time lost is going to hurt Stewart and Thompson's cases. Knight is going to be a contender if he stays, but that remains to be seen.

For me, we have defended much better than we have attacked, hence all the low scoring losses, so unless something dramatically changes, it has to be a defender or DM.

• Knight for me, McCleary coming on strong just behind Grimmer. Surprise package- Blooms

• @Twizz said:
    Knight for me has looked class since he arrived, sadly Thompson has missed too many games but has been excellent when he's played.

Surprise is possibly Bloomfield who has looked very comfortable when he plays, or Mehmeti coming from nowhere and looked to have some nice touches.

• Don't know what happened there ...

• Totally agree @Shev the normal greeting in the US is "hi how are you?" To which the reply is "Good thanks, you?" But on occasion I found myself doing a Brit and replying instead "not so bad thanks." I would then get a concerned look and "Why? What's the matter?" Used to make me chortle.
    As for POTSSF JJ, Grimmer, Thommo, but I also agree with the above posts that Gmac will be there or there abouts come the end of the season.

• We looked well off the pace early doors and that seemed to change with the following players returning or coming in on loan:

Bayo, Thompson, Adeniran and Knight.

Adeniran has been missing quite a few games recently, Bayo hasn't quite hit his usual heights, his influence is still huge on us though.

So i'd have to say it's been between Thompson and Knight so far.

As @manboobs says, McCleary could zoom to the top of the list if he keeps playing as he has been doing so. Has real class.

Kashket probably the surprise package. After not starting a huge amount of games last year, he may well have already exceeded his starts total by mid December and he looks our most likely source of a goal.

Would like to see more from Horgan, but I dare say that's an expectations thing.
    He's producing more than a lot of our squad, but you expect more with his pedigree.

• Knight or Allsop for POTS so far for me.

The fact that Kashket is our top goal scorer this season is the biggest surprise, really didn’t expect that from him but glad he’s doing good.

Slightly disappointed in Fred this season, I expected much more from him. Early days though, plenty of time to amend that

• McCleary and Horgan for me, buy have they lifted our quality going forward...now we need someone who can stick it in the net consistently...could be Scotty or Bayo if they sharpen up again.

• edited December 2020

For me so far

Pots: Knight

Expected to have been good and have been: Horgan, McCleary, Grimmer, Stewart, Wheeler

Surprisingly good with average expectations: JJ, Rocky, Thompson, Adeniran, Kashket

Underwhelming: Fred, Bayo, McCarthy, Gape

• @username- interesting both McCarthy and Fred let go by Millwall because they didn’t think they could play in the Championship.

• @davecz said:
    @username- interesting both McCarthy and Fred let go by Millwall because they didn’t think they could play in the Championship.

Don't start all this fanny - we heard all that about Bayo for league 1 from the drone army for months. Until they realised he was still our key player in the surge to the championship.

• @Malone - not fanny. Just stating facts. I was hoping GA could change things but not seeing any evidence so far. Still hoping.

• @Username said:
    For me so far

Expected to have been good and have been: Horgan, McCleary, Grimmer, Stewart, Wheeler

Surprisingly good with average expectations: JJ, Rocky, Thompson, Adeniran, Kashket

I'm intrigued by why some seem totally happy with Horgan and dissapointed with Fred when in my eyes both have flattered to deceive this season. Is it purely that Fred has gone through his honeymoon period with fans?

• @davecz said:
    @Malone - not fanny. Just stating facts. I was hoping GA could change things but not seeing any evidence so far. Still hoping.

Fred certainly hasn't got going yet.
    But McCarthy hasn't had the chance to play much in his main position yet.

We'll have a superb squad next season if we went down though...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    For me so far

I'm intrigued by why some seem totally happy with Horgan and dissapointed with Fred when in my eyes both have flattered to deceive this season. Is it purely that Fred has gone through his honeymoon period with fans?

Horgan is certainly capable of more than he's showing - but he's still showing a lot more than Fred has so far this season. Fred's not got going at all.

• @davecz said:
    @Malone - not fanny. Just stating facts. I was hoping GA could change things but not seeing any evidence so far. Still hoping.

No. It's 'fanny'. Millwall let go those two players because they didn't produce what Millwall wanted. They just happened to be in the Championship

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    For me so far

Horgan is certainly capable of more than he's showing - but he's still showing a lot more than Fred has so far this season. Fred's not got going at all.

See I think Fred is not showing as well as he has at other times whereas Horgan is just assumed to be capable of more. I also think he can give more but his goal creation and scoring has been as dissapointing as Fred's to me and Horgan has the higher level experience.
    Fingers crossed they both come good

• @Right_in_the_Middle - just a coincidence then !!

• @davecz said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle - just a coincidence then !!

What's the coincidence? The Millwall have a certain style of play that doesn't suit all players? Or that they happen to have found players to keep them in the Championship?
    Your abuse of certain players is lazy.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:
    For me so far

See I think Fred is not showing as well as he has at other times whereas Horgan is just assumed to be capable of more. I also think he can give more but his goal creation and scoring has been as dissapointing as Fred's to me and Horgan has the higher level experience.
    Fingers crossed they both come good

I'm not sure we've worked out how best to use Horgan yet.
    I thought we were getting a pacy winger from the talk about how he'd "destroyed" us for Preston years back.

Instead we seem to have a hard working almost defensive forward.
    Would have to see the stats but not sure he's had more than about a single assist yet?

I suppose this season is very difficult for attackers though as they all have to put in huge defensive shifts supporting their full backs. That and the tougher opponents is totally killing their attacking.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - abuse of players ?? Not sure how you have jumped to that conclusion. Just stating facts.