Skip to content

Match day thread: QPR

Comments

• The ref went absolutely mad after half time and made some amazing decisions with the rest of his mad team. One or two of them may have given us a penalty but overall this ref and the ones in the last few games have just ruined the game as a spectacle. Blowing your whistle at every little scream and fall might get you through an assessor report but it is destroying any enjoyment for me

• Have we had any good refs this season other than Lee Mason and James Linington (Rotherham and Preston games)?

• Should we put macarthy up front

• Incredibly frustrating. That really was a winnable game and in the end we were glad for the draw.

All over them at the start of the 2nd half, but we didn't take our chances and then seemed to run out of ideas. Wouldn't normally dream of being critical of GA, but the subs did appear odd today. Kashket despite his misses was causing plenty of problems and I'd have thought Bayo for Uche would've been a more obvious swap?

Pleasing to see Mehmeti get his goal though and would be great to see him push on. Still plenty of hope for us once we get some of our injured players back. Need a win soon though!

• Two chances that Kashket would normally put away with aplomb. One header that Bayo 2019 would tuck away for fun. A comedy own goal. An inept ref.

That’s all I guess. Our season in the championship summed up in one afternoon

• Definitely a handball from the corner.

• edited December 2020

I hope we never see Bayo and Uche up top together again - not unless there's some way to get Kashket playing off them effectively, but even then it's extreme.

• edited December 2020

I'm more intrigued by what @Right_in_the_Middle's conspiracy theory was that he hinted at earlier.

I fear we'll have to wait a fair while to see the Beast score to see it though!

• I'm afraid for the first time this season I'm a bit down and beaten.. that's about 5 games now we could and should have won, but we havnt because we just cant score enough goals, I expect I'll get abuse but just constantly relying on Bayo every game is not working... I'd absolutely love him to score.. but he just doesnt look like he's going to, unless the ball goes straight to him he doesnt even move... its hindering us. I think we're down.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    I hope we never see Bayo and Uche up top together again - not unless there's some way to get Kashket playing off them effectively, but even then it's extreme.

How many points have we earned when Bayo doesnt start. How many goals have we scored when Bayo's not on the pitch. Both pretty low but i'm sure you can let us know the stats.

• We can definitely stay up, although we are running out of time to start winning again.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm afraid for the first time this season I'm a bit down and beaten.. that's about 5 games now we could and should have won, but we havnt because we just cant score enough goals, I expect I'll get abuse but just constantly relying on Bayo every game is not working... I'd absolutely love him to score.. but he just doesnt look like he's going to, unless the ball goes straight to him he doesnt even move... its hindering us. I think we're down.

I'd save the most negative stuff for when we've lost without having a chance.
    At least today we had a few we screwed up.

A defeat today would have felt like curtains as it'd have let QPR get 11 points ahead.

• It’s time now for Uche to start games and get 90 minutes under his belt. His objective? to score the goals that keep us up , ably backed up by Bayo chomping at the but on the bench.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Incredibly frustrating. That really was a winnable game and in the end we were glad for the draw.

All over them at the start of the 2nd half, but we didn't take our chances and then seemed to run out of ideas. Wouldn't normally dream of being critical of GA, but the subs did appear odd today. Kashket despite his misses was causing plenty of problems and I'd have thought Bayo for Uche would've been a more obvious swap?

Pleasing to see Mehmeti get his goal though and would be great to see him push on. Still plenty of hope for us once we get some of our injured players back. Need a win soon though!

I agree the other team will score ,we need to take our chances

• @mooneyman said:

@chairboyscentral said:

How many points have we earned when Bayo doesnt start. How many goals have we scored when Bayo's not on the pitch. Both pretty low but i'm sure you can let us know the stats.

He is one of the few cases where with/without stats carry some weight - such is his unique influence - but you could see he was flagging long before he should have come off. He's not going to be that effective when he's knackered.

• @Gordon_Ottershaw said:
    It’s time now for Uche to start games and get 90 minutes under his belt. His objective? to score the goals that keep us up , ably backed up by Bayo chomping at the but on the bench.

Let's break him again shall we? I think it'll be another game or two before he's starting

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I think we're down.

That's your saturday afternoons and midweek evenings freed up until May then @HolmerBlue . Plenty of jobs round the house to get done?

• I take heart that the players looked frustrated rather than down after the game. They wanted to win, thought they could and should have won and will (hopefully) use that positively

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Have we had any good refs this season other than Lee Mason and James Linington (Rotherham and Preston games)?

Why do we seem to be getting the same refs as earlier games already. It used to be the exception that we had a ref twice in a season. Now we see them once a month.

• Did like this from the BBC report (cut and pasted before they change it:

“Wycombe finally secured the point their efforts deserved when 189-year-old Mehmeti, who had only been on the field for 10 minutes, cut in from the left and beat Dieng from the edge of the area”

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@chairboyscentral said:
    Have we had any good refs this season other than Lee Mason and James Linington (Rotherham and Preston games)?

Why do we seem to be getting the same refs as earlier games already. It used to be the exception that we had a ref twice in a season. Now we see them once a month.

Maybe the pool of refs for this level is smaller? I don't know.

• @Doober48: I am guessing you are very young. Judgement and balance generally come with age. Sadly, other qualities - eg patience in the face of negative and clearly misplaced criticism - tends to diminish. For anyone simply to say “we are shocking” does no justice whatsoever to the excellent passing football we played throughout the game. If you’d said “our finishing is shocking” even without acknowledging what refreshingly good passing football we were playing, I would not have felt the need to comment.

Perhaps you would have preferred it if I’d chosen to ignore your comment. You say you have expressed praise on the Gasroom but, with one visit every four months on average, you must have been pretty sparing with it.

• It’s a little bit frustrating at the moment. The thing that gives me hope though is that we’ve not been that far off looking capable of beating (with better finishing, rub of the green, kinder refereeing decisions) pretty much most if the teams we’ve played recently. And that where our creative players are asked to do an awful lot of tracking back.

The finishing and decision making in the final third could be a result of loss of confidence and I can’t help but feel that if it returns we could string quite a few wins together.

We are also getting by on a makeshift centre back pairing and zero defensive midfielders. So the players deserve a lot more credit than they’re getting I think

I bang on about just keeping the points tricking in at the moment. There will or may come a time when we have to throw caution to the wind and I think we have the quality of players to make the most of it.

• While we can't justifiably blame the ref for chances we've missed or goals the opposition have scored against the run of play - especially own goals. I do think we can blame the ref for not giving the correct decisions and that can effect the outcome of matches.
    If we're awarded a penalty, JJ may have missed or may have scored - we'll never know.
    But I do think the ref needs to make the correct decision.

• edited December 2020

@bookertease said:
    We are also getting by on a makeshift centre back pairing and zero defensive midfielders. So the players deserve a lot more credit than they’re getting I think

The battered midfield is the key. No solid base to allow us to sustain pressure, none of the line-breaking or general control of the midfield battle that Thompson brings - he's by far the biggest miss. The reality is we are going to need to create more to score more - we're not going to become amazing finishers overnight - and that's very hard to do with such a gap in the middle which has to be filled by attackers tracking back more than you'd ideally like.

• @Wendoverman said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I think we're down.

That's your saturday afternoons and midweek evenings freed up until May then @HolmerBlue . Plenty of jobs round the house to get done?

Be quiet Forest supporter ... I was there when we lost to the Met Police and still kept coming ... bloody hell football eh !?

• @micra said:
    @Doober48: I am guessing you are very young. Judgement and balance generally come with age. Sadly, other qualities - eg patience in the face of negative and clearly misplaced criticism - tends to diminish. For anyone simply to say “we are shocking” does no justice whatsoever to the excellent passing football we played throughout the game. If you’d said “our finishing is shocking” even without acknowledging what refreshingly good passing football we were playing, I would not have felt the need to comment.

Perhaps you would have preferred it if I’d chosen to ignore your comment. You say you have expressed praise on the Gasroom but, with one visit every four months on average, you must have been pretty sparing with it.

No I'm not young ,just getting frustrated with the lack of cutting edge and the chances missed ,I can not fault the effort and some skill we are putting into each game. There is a fine line in this league and we should be higher or at least a lot more points.
    I'm not as eloquent as you and maybe a little hot tempered ,I will try and put more contents in my post

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I think we're down.

Be quiet Forest supporter ... I was there when we lost to the Met Police and still kept coming ... bloody hell football eh !?

Have you been to Carlisle away?

• @Twizz said:
    While we can't justifiably blame the ref for chances we've missed or goals the opposition have scored against the run of play - especially own goals. I do think we can blame the ref for not giving the correct decisions and that can effect the outcome of matches.
    If we're awarded a penalty, JJ may have missed or may have scored - we'll never know.
    But I do think the ref needs to make the correct decision.

Amongst a sea of overly negative and overly positive "there's still xxx games to go" type people - this is a great post.

Very easy to forget we've got our best 3 centre mids and arguably best centre back too.

Without blaming McCarthy, there's every chance Stewart doesn't welly that one into his own net and with some actual force in the centre mid we could have seen that into a win.

But coulda woulda shoulda really.

• Totally agree @bookertease. It’s the hope (thoroughly justified in the light of pretty well every performance since half time against Swansea) that breeds the frustration.

Can I make a little mischief by mentioning that Dobbo has won two games to GA’s nil? I know some will see that as bordering on calumny and there’s scant evidence for saying so but it keeps popping up in my head and leads me to look for reasons - eg are the players more relaxed when GA is not leaping about and screaming instructions from the technical area?