Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• Matt Phillips played well coming on for West Brom.

• Eze got a massive big up in commentary and in post match analysis on MOTD2 saying he has freed up Zahar as the only creative outlet.
    In other news saw Max K got sent off for Woking.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@micra said:
    Flashes today of the kind of brilliance from Eze that we relished for all too short a period a couple of seasons ago. BBC Sport haven’t credited him with the assist which led to Palace’s well deserved equaliser against Tottenham - a goal converted from Eze’s free kick. He also hit a post earlier in the game.

No assist as it came off Lloris

The Premier League disagrees with you.

• @JohnBoy said:

@chairboyscentral said:

@micra said:
    Flashes today of the kind of brilliance from Eze that we relished for all too short a period a couple of seasons ago. BBC Sport haven’t credited him with the assist which led to Palace’s well deserved equaliser against Tottenham - a goal converted from Eze’s free kick. He also hit a post earlier in the game.

No assist as it came off Lloris

The Premier League disagrees with you.

No they don't - there was no assist. https://www.premierleague.com/match/59007

• I don't know what FPL classes as an assist, but if there's no completed pass to the scorer then there can't be an assist.

• Guys, guys it’s no big deal. Eze took the free kick (superbly) and I reckon that must have contributed massively to the resulting goal. You’ll be arguing next that Stewart didn’t score in the playoff final!

• Stewart? Who's Stewart? Only kidding!??

• edited December 2020

@micra said:
    Guys, guys it’s no big deal. Eze took the free kick (superbly) and I reckon that must have contributed massively to the resulting goal. You’ll be arguing next that Stewart didn’t score in the playoff final!

It was a wicked free-kick perfectly into space for players to run into. Tbh, the assist stat is a bit flawed as it doesn't credit good play like that. That effort off the post would have been a beauty.

• Adam Smith (3 appearances in 2009) starts in the Ibe Derby. We should probably have a thank you banner btw, not sure where we might be if they didn't buy Ibe for so much money. Turned out better for us than him.

• One for the old-timers - Roger Day passed away a few weeks ago.
    https://sloughtownfc.net/article/2328/Roger-Day
    A renowned England Amateur international, he made 20 appearances for us, scoring one goal, during the 1977-78 season towards the end of his career. Was a bit of a thorn in our side when he played for Slough in the early 70s - he scored the goal that won them the Berks and Bucks final in 1971at Marlow, my second ever away game. RIP.

• An interesting interview with Alex Lynch, who has retired from football.

I believe the second part of the interview will be up soon and details his time at Wycombe.

• The article raises nearly as many questions as it answers. You wonder how different it would have been for him if we'd won at Wembley in 2015.

• Not sure how Wembley would have changed things. His life changing moment surely was getting a serious injury the following season at Plymouth just after Matt Ingram was sold.
    The abuse Alex received from large numbers of the home fans as he was being stretchered off was utterly shameful.

• @DevC said:
    Not sure how Wembley would have changed things. His life changing moment surely was getting a serious injury the following season at Plymouth just after Matt Ingram was sold.
    The abuse Alex received from large numbers of the home fans as he was being stretchered off was utterly shameful.

But not entirely unexpected from ‘the green army’ as you would know @DevC being surrounded by them on a daily basis. That game ran the full gamut of emotions from anger at the injustice of the time wasting accusations through to the unbridled joy of the Baz Richardson show.

• Such a shame reading that. Having an injury isn't fun for anyone, but when it's your career, even less so.

I can only try and imagine how bleak a 160mile round trip to training every day must have been?! I used to work with a guy who did that sort of distance to sit in an office and he couldn't hack that after 6months or so.
    Imagine having to be sharp and do a physical job after.

• It’s easy to see how the game can take its toll on players, especially further down the pyramid. The long distances for the ‘love of the game’ and little else, whilst earning a living with a day job. Remember when we would house our youngsters - some lived with volunteers and some at the ground if I recall. Do we still do that?

• Talking to Blooms at the club shop this time last year, I gathered from him that he lives Monday to Friday at one of the club houses in Wycombe and that there were a number of players living there.

• After 1 year, I worked out that one of the club houses was near next door to me. I think it was when I worked out that the German BMW was owned by Max Mueller

• @TwinBrother said:
    After 1 year, I worked out that one of the club houses was near next door to me. I think it was when I worked out that the German BMW was owned by Max Mueller

Ah Muller.
    Hayes with that "we can't believe we've got him" quote really did write a cheque that poor lad never had a chance of cashing didn't he!

• That Summers central defensive acquisition of Max Muller and Will de Havilland, will not go down as Gareths finest scoops !!

• Max Müller is now enjoying the salad days of his career back in Germany at FC Astoria Walldorf.

• @Chris said:
    Max Müller is now enjoying the salad days of his career back in Germany at FC Astoria Walldorf.

A tough nut turning over a new leaf.

• Bizarrely now managed by former golfer Craig Statler, I understand.

Fans are apparently not happy though regarding team and manager as a load of muppets.

• Are we the first team in history to be bottom of the league after 20 games where the fans don’t think the team and manager are muppets?

• @bookertease said:
    Are we the first team in history to be bottom of the league after 20 games where the fans don’t think the team and manager are muppets?

More history being made by Wycombe Wanderers! ?

• @bookertease said:
    Are we the first team in history to be bottom of the league after 20 games where the fans don’t think the team and manager are muppets?

Probably (unless you follow the Facebook group). Something to be proud of I think. It's so calming listening to friends raging about their players ans managers and not having to join in.

• @bookertease said:

They thought it was all over.......

• edited December 2020

@bookertease said:

Not at all. There will have been plenty of huge underdogs in the Champ and PL - Norwich last season, Sheffield United this (the vast majority are still firmly behind Wilder because they know he's one of the best managers in the world and they wouldn't have got anywhere near the top flight without him). I'm not sure I believe anyone truly wants Ainsworth out; if they do, they've not been paying attention to anything that's happened over the past six-and-a-half years.