Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

1789101113»

Comments

• Presumably the referees assistant did think it was offside and was sufficiently confident in their mind that it indeed was offside.

That still doesn’t necessarily mean it was the right decision though. We know that they get things wrong. If they didn’t we wouldn’t need VAR.

I think we should all be able to agree it was a borderline decision on Saturday though. If he hadn’t have flagged and the goal had stood I would imagine the debate on the Coventry forum would have been similar to here

• I should clarify by the way that I don’t actually mean we ‘need’ VAR. we don’t. And it didn’t exist I’m sure he’d have raised his flag several seconds before he did

• @glasshalffull said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    The referees assistant, (no longer a lino), must have been certain. I thought that if there was doubt, the benefit of doubt would have been given in the forwards favour? At least I thought that was the guidelines. ? maybe I'm out of touch as since VAR was introduced to the Premier league the rules appear to change almost weekly.

Match officials should be reasonably certain of every decision they make at every stage of the game, but it is even more important when a big decision is needed in stoppage time and with the game evenly poised.
    Many posters have looked at the footage of Kashket’s disallowed goal from every available angle and in slow motion, and they still can’t decide whether he was onside or not (with the exception of one poster, anyway). It is therefore reasonable to assume that the assistant, seeing the incident once in real time and with a considerable distance between Knight’s last touch and Kashket’s shot, cannot have been 100 per cent certain, in which case he should not have flagged.

He had the perfect view of it. It's not reasonable to assume that at all.

We're in danger of becoming what we've mocked over the years by whining about every decision that doesn't go our way.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It looked like he shuffled back to flag where the offside was - which they're not meant to do anymore.

He clearly did that that @chairboyscentral, but I think he had to run on in case he had to check if the ball had crossed the line. He didn't reach the goal line because the ball was already clearly over the line. At that point he shuffled back, which all seems reasonable to me.

• You may ask why not put his flag up straightaway, but are they not told now to wait until the phase is complete? Anyway, he was running so his momentum carried him past the offside point.

• I thought they were meant to flag as soon as the receiving player becomes active i.e. touches it.

• After arriving in the devastated wasteland that is High Wycombe in 2021, I understand the Christmas Dr Who will show her going back in time and making sure the lino changes his mind in the Coventry game so the terrible results of the decision in future are avoided.

• @Wendoverman said:
    After arriving in the devastated wasteland that is High Wycombe in 2021, I understand the Christmas Dr Who will show her going back in time and making sure the lino changes his mind in the Coventry game so the terrible results of the decision in future are avoided.

Would watch

• I should state that to me, the reason this matters so much is that handful of lost points could be the difference in the club's trajectory for years to come. If we stay up, though we may not stay in the second tier for many years, the added finances of even one more season could really help us build the club's foundations even stronger, both on and off the pitch. Whereas if we get relegated, I am not as sanguine as some about becoming a yo-yo club, as that is a lot easier said than done, and the miracle of last season is not something you can just play on repeat.

These decisions and potential lost points may or may not make the difference, but if they do, the potential long term impact makes it harder to shrug it off.

• edited December 2020

But you could say the same for all our missed chances and mistakes - I'd say they're more frustrating than the odd bit of dubious officiating.

• If we keep banging on about these magical missing points we are in real danger of coming across like Peterborough and their nonsense about the points per game calculation

But you could say the same for all our missed chances and mistakes - I'd say they're more frustrating than the odd bit of dubious officiating.

Missed chances and mistakes are not unfair, and therefore easier to take.

• edited December 2020

Have we had any decisions go for us that might be deemed unfair? We must have. Saturday's penalty looked soft even if it was inconsequential.

• @eric_plant said:
    If we keep banging on about these magical missing points we are in real danger of coming across like Peterborough and their nonsense about the points per game calculation

This is a discussion forum about Wycombe, Eric. Controversial decisions and their knock on effects are likely to be discussed here.

For what it's worth, I think you have a valid perspective, and am not knocking it. I just have a different one on a lot of these decisions, and the sheer number of them is disappointing to me.

There is a legitimate conversation about potential unconscious bias against smaller clubs - that debate has taken place in the PL many times, when Man United get their Fergie time or late penalties. I don't think it is a conscious bias, or else we would not see penalties awarded like we have, but the close calls have tended to favour the bigger club.

• I think the issue has been that many of the big calls that have gone against us have been right at the end of the game and have therefore directly affected the result. Luton, Watford, Norwich, Coventry results were all decided by very marginal decisions, all of which have gone against us. Would be easier to take if a couple had gone for us and a couple against us.

Hopefully the luck will change at some point, but when it does we have to take advantage of it

• @chairboyscentral Millwall's call for a penalty against Stewart was probably as good as Wheeler's on Saturday.

This thread has also made me think about last season, when we were clearly a massive club in the third division, so got a pretty soft late penalty at home to minnows, Posh, denying them 2 crucial points and gaining us 1 - all important in the final outcome.

• Every team gets bad decisions against them. There is not some sort of conspiracy against us. Our luck will turn but we need to make sure we get in the opponents half and box more often with greater precision to get the breaks.

• edited December 2020

@our_frank said:
    @chairboyscentral Millwall's call for a penalty against Stewart was probably as good as Wheeler's on Saturday.

This thread has also made me think about last season, when we were clearly a massive club in the third division, so got a pretty soft late penalty at home to minnows, Posh, denying them 2 crucial points and gaining us 1 - all important in the final outcome.

Speaking of Stewart, I was watching the play-offs again the other day and I forgot he got away with a huge handball in the second leg with the score at 4-2 on aggregate. I still think we would have gone through, but it could have made it unbearably tense!

• I'm confused. Do I have to ask 'what would a Peterborough fan think?' everytime I want to bemoan poor referring decisions.

That Kashket goal on Saturday was a valid goal. Suck on that Peterborough fans.

• Unfortunately I expect Peterborough fans would be pishing themselves at our collective angst about these hard luck stories.

• The title of this thread is Match day thread: Coventry - there is an inherent danger that some of us may end up posting about incidents from that match. Similarly, there is a thread about Championship clubs being unhappy with the refereeing standard in the second tier. Spoiler alert: some of us may post about bad refereeing there too.

It reminds me of the 'Ignore Alan Swann and he will go away' comments that are posted on threads about Alan Swann (without irony, apparently).

• edited December 2020

Speaking of that, Alan Swann has gone away now, but I think it was Peterborough being crap that did it.

• If these things really do even out I look forward to Fred carrying the ball into the net while he screams profanity at the ref.

• @floyd said:
    If these things really do even out I look forward to Fred carrying the ball into the net while he screams profanity at the ref.

POTD.

• @Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    And the sound of the “come on Wycombe” screamer.

Scottish woman?

Right near me...my word it was bloody irritating.
    Come on Wyc-ahhhhhh-ahhhhh-mmmmmbbbeeee with voice crackling at the end.

Would you rather they were reciting poetry or not showing any support for the team, just watching the game in silence? Or throwing out some abuse to the other team which was also going on right near you which was not only irritating but offensive too? Isn’t the whole point of going to a football match to support your team? Or should the only time we make a noise be when they score?

• edited December 2020

@Amershamblue said:

@Malone said:

@drcongo said:
    And the sound of the “come on Wycombe” screamer.

Scottish woman?

Right near me...my word it was bloody irritating.
    Come on Wyc-ahhhhhh-ahhhhh-mmmmmbbbeeee with voice crackling at the end.

Would you rather they were reciting poetry or not showing any support for the team, just watching the game in silence? Or throwing out some abuse to the other team which was also going on right near you which was not only irritating but offensive too? Isn’t the whole point of going to a football match to support your team? Or should the only time we make a noise be when they score?

It's like the drummer really - great they're supporting so full on...but ideally from a distance ;)

• Quite fancy hearing the terrace reciting poetry now

• I don’t think any of it has been unfair as such (Norwich away perhaps) but we did have a streak of close decisions going against us at key times which probably cost us points. This was discussed and reviewed on Quest I remember

Quite fancy hearing the terrace reciting poetry now

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough
    It isn't fit for humans now,
    There isn't grass to graze a cow
    Swarm over, Death!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    Hopefully the luck will change at some point, but when it does we have to take advantage of it

In a nutshell for me.