Skip to content

Championship clubs unhappy with standard of refereeing

Comments

• He did our game at Reading didn't he? Can't remember how he was then.

• edited December 2020

Today’s referee scored 9/10 on the Gurnam Singh scale.

As well as his two blocks, he put Wheeler off a shot with his fannying around. And I’ve never seen a ref blow his whistle for a goal kick and then just look away as if what happens next was nothing to do with him at all.

I’m not saying he cost us a win or anything but stunningly bad.

• I agree that refs get too much abuse, but that was next level bad. Mind you, I would take the ref being bad just for one moment of sanity from the lino!

• I'm tempted to take back what I said previously about refs deserving more respect. The only thing Andy Davies deserves is his P45.

• The position deserves respect, if not necessarily the man holding it. Akin to rank in the army imo. A thankless task for the most part to be sure but I spoke to one journalist who didn't think tonight's officials had done much wrong. And at no time do I recall hearing "?You don't know what you're doing...?"

As a Terrace Dweller i(n normal times) it is an effort not to unload on them now for blatant consequential errors, especially as they are now professionals and as such devote their working lives to being better officials. But honestly there have been that many bad days at the office in the matches I have seen this season that they lend credence to the speculation of unconscious bias, that they default to a preconceived notion of how the game would/should go to make up for an incomplete picture of actual proceedings.

This may of course be my own unconscious bias instead but there are now many different people are questioning both decisions and performances on many different levels. I personally hope the refs can be mic'd up as in other sports so we can listen and understand how they arrive at the decisions they do. Until then I fear repetition of the booing heard as the refs walked off the pitch tonight.

• edited December 2020

Absolutely absurd

Maybe it's all of the referees' faults that we don't create any chances as well?

@arnos_grove as usual, got it right. The ref dropped some clangers today but was in no way responsible for us losing

• I will add that that linesman's flag went up unbelievably late today.

I checked twice that he hadn't flagged before I started celebrating. It must have been the best part of 5 seconds before he put it up

• @eric_plant said:
    I will add that that linesman's flag went up unbelievably late today.

I checked twice that he hadn't flagged before I started celebrating. It must have been the best part of 5 seconds before he put it up

Exactly the same for me

• @eric_plant said:
    I will add that that linesman's flag went up unbelievably late today.

Yeh, I couldn’t believe it.

• Mistakes by match officials have cost us points this season and that is a fact whether some people are prepared to accept it or not.

• Two points I reckon, one today and one at Norwich

• edited December 2020

I think the Luton one was as tight as today's, so maybe three.

• That's assuming that today's offside was wrong as reported by the BFP

• I.must admit when I saw the replay it did look offside but a heart stopping very late flag.

• It was very tight, at first look I thought it was onside, but then from replays it looks tight, even on quest last night when they froze it it was hard to tell without the right angle. It was just the lateness of it all.

• @eric_plant @chairboyscentral If you are going to go down that road, then surely the decisions for Jacobson's "Olympico" efforts vs Watford and Millwall should come into it.

• Was baffled by the ref giving the ball to the Cov keeper after we had possession and the ref got in the way.....never seen that before.

• @Ozzie_the_Relaxed said:
    Was baffled by the ref giving the ball to the Cov keeper after we had possession and the ref got in the way.....never seen that before.

That's why I asked if he'd ever reffed before as I am pretty sure that's not actually a rule.

• @our_frank said:
    @eric_plant @chairboyscentral If you are going to go down that road, then surely the decisions for Jacobson's "Olympico" efforts vs Watford and Millwall should come into it.

I think Kashket fouled the Millwall keeper, as spotted by Dean Ashton

Fair point on the Watford one, I didn't think that was a foul

Anyway, my point is that our constant whining about referees (all credit to Gaz that he's not chosen to go down that route) is getting a bit tiresome. We should concentrate on the things we can control

• @HolmerBlue said:
    It was very tight, at first look I thought it was onside, but then from replays it looks tight, even on quest last night when they froze it it was hard to tell without the right angle. It was just the lateness of it all.

I would have some sympathy due to the closeness of the decision, but the ridiculous delay in the flag (which only came after Coventry players had a chance to complain) can only mean the assistant referee simply guessed whether it was offside or not. That in itself is unforgivable.

• No coincidence that our best-flowing game this season (Brentford) was the one with a long-serving Premier League referee (Lee Mason). Unfortunately, there are too many whistle-happy refs like we had yesterday. They're ruining the game.

• That's not so say Premier League ref automatically = good (Mike Dean produced an awful, stop-start performance yesterday), but clearly they're generally much better.

• edited December 2020

@our_frank said:
    @eric_plant @chairboyscentral If you are going to go down that road, then surely the decisions for Jacobson's "Olympico" efforts vs Watford and Millwall should come into it.

Against Watford it was a foul by Samuel ('keepers are overprotected, but those ones almost always get given), and the Millwall one was too early in the game for us to conclusively say it would have changed the result.

• What was most frustrating about the reffing yesterday was that his first 15-20 minutes were superb. Then it just all went to absolute shit.

I think while got hit with the ball twice, he actually got in the way of play 4 or 5 times.

I don't really know what the solution is. As others have alluded to, it needs to be made more attractive as a profession, so that people with a greater experience and understanding of the game are interested in it.

• edited December 2020

Did the ball hit the ref in the box when he gave it back to the Coventry 'keeper? Because that would have been the right decision. But if it hit him outside then we should have got the ball back.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    What was most frustrating about the reffing yesterday was that his first 15-20 minutes were superb. Then it just all went to absolute shit.

I think while got hit with the ball twice, he actually got in the way of play 4 or 5 times.

I don't really know what the solution is. As others have alluded to, it needs to be made more attractive as a profession, so that people with a greater experience and understanding of the game are interested in it.

They've often talked about some fast track scheme for ex players.
    But I wonder if many ex players want to even do it?

And is there any proof that ex players will have any more of a clue than those who have worked their way up the levels? Just because they've been skilled at their own individual role in the game before?

• Anyone watching the Arsenal - Burnley game? Xhaka sent off for grabbing Westwood by the throat, but Elneny escapes with a yellow for a two-handed shove to the face on Tarkowski. Where's the consistency?

Ref is Graham Scott, who we had at Luton.

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Anyone watching the Arsenal - Burnley game? Xhaka sent off for grabbing Westwood by the throat, but Elneny escapes with a yellow for a two-handed shove to the face on Tarkowski. Where's the consistency?

Ref is Graham Scott, who we had at Luton.

Didn't see the second one, but did have some fun watching the Arsenal fan tv watchalong at the same time.
    They still thought it was harsh. What? Grabbing someone by the neck?!

Would love to see them go down. So vicious to Wenger after all he'd done and mocking the whole top 4 aim. Roll on a few years and they'd be delighted to even be close to top 4.

• It's really, really bad. They've just made so many poor decisions since Wenger left. They won't go down, but their situation just goes to show how quickly things can unravel on the pitch even for the 'super-clubs'.

• edited December 2020

Will take a superb manager to get them back into the top mix.
    They don't have the money of the Manchester clubs/Chelsea, Liverpool's cycle still has a couple of years to run and they're looking at Tottenham being the dominant North London force for another few years for certain.
    They won't get above the likes of Leicester either.

Thank goodness to not support them.

I remember the fury of our supporters when Sanchez was messing Devine about near the end.
    Now imagine if your star player was on 350k a week and was left out of the 25man squad while your team flounder 5 points off the drop zone!